Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes me feel better that I have new set of tires in my closet waiting
smile.gif
Love snow, but hate freezing rain. That freezing spot on map right above KY
frown.gif

Last edited:
I'm a believer in the three-week weather pattern. So that graphic might be true for three weeks of the winter. The patterns also explain how one gets stuck in a rut for a while.

Sometimes there are arctic troughs; others a straight-shot jet stream.

That's just downright funny. When looking at the map (the reading the article), that sort of weather happens every year. Lake effect from the Great Lakes, Nor'easter, yadda yadda. At first glance I thought it was written to be funny. Remember in the movie Good Morning Vietnam? Same weather every day.

I'll never understand why people actually believe the long range forecasting. That's akin to the notoriously vague and inaccurate Old Farmers Almanac.

Let me make a prediction-this winter will be colder than last summer unless you're in Australia. There will be a few areas that have an unusually nice winter, and other areas that will be unusually snowy. There will be an ice storm or two somewhere in the south where they're not equipped to deal with it, and it will make the national news with scenes of cars in the ditch along a local interestate, and a breathless reporter providing comments, and we in the midwest will laugh when an inch of snow or a little ice shuts down an entire city.

Got my new-to-me power shovel, a long extension cord, some various liquid and gaseous fuels to power a stove, snow tires for the cars, and a good stock of canned foodstuffs. Let's see the snow!
24.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Got my new-to-me power shovel, a long extension cord, some various liquid and gaseous fuels to power a stove, snow tires for the cars, and a good stock of canned foodstuffs. Let's see the snow!
24.gif

You're just snooty because all your cars have rocker panels now.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'll never understand why people actually believe the long range forecasting.

I actually have more faith in them being able to give a proper forecast for an entire season, compared to a day or two in advance. I think it's a lot easier to predict it months in advance by looking back at patterns from previous years. On a day by day basis there are so many other factors involved that could change minute by minute. I find that most of the time when Environment Canada gives it's long range forecast, it is usually correct. Last spring they predicted it would be a lot wetter than normal and they were right, and for the summer they predicted it would be drier and a lot hotter than normal and again that was bang on. And at the end of September they told us that October would also be drier and hotter than normal too, and other than the first 2 days of October, that's been correct too.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: sciphi
24.gif

You're just snooty because all your cars have rocker panels now.
wink.gif

LMAO!!! True, I won't be wondering where that puddle by my feet came from, or whether there'll be enough car left to drive at the end of the winter!

Back on topic, the lake effect snows are supposed to reach further east this year. We were right on the ragged edge of the larger lake-effect bands last year. I wonder if this means our local ski areas will have better snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back