Winter tires/wheels 08 Chevy Malibu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I purchased my son an 08 Chevy Malibu last week and with winter fast approaching, I am going to need some snowies and rims for it.
His current tire size is 225/50 R-17 so I will likely try to stick with that size as to not screw up his speedo.

Thinking I will stick with Cooper something or other tires (Hercules, etc) and just plain black steelies if I go new but I am going to search used first in case there are some good deals out there?

Any idea what years will all fit this 08? From the reading I have done about Malibus, it seems anything earlier than 08 is different and anything after 2012 is as well?

Also, as a side question, what good wheel lugs should I purchase for this car? I noticed, checking his current factory wheel lug nut torque, the outer cap is deformed/rounded/squared on some like I read in another thread.

I believe I read McGard's were the best as replacements? Any idea if they are easily purchased/obtainable from jobber type stores?

I know it is a broken record on here but the General Altimax Arctic are very good winter tires. They are essentially the Gislaved Nordfrost 3 design (I have Nordfrost 5s for my BMW) and on the two other cars where I use the Alitmax tires they work very well.

Originally Posted by irv
I purchased my son an 08 Chevy Malibu last week and with winter fast approaching, I am going to need some snowies and rims for it.
His current tire size is 225/50 R-17 so I will likely try to stick with that size as to not screw up his speedo.

Thinking I will stick with Cooper something or other tires (Hercules, etc) and just plain black steelies if I go new but I am going to search used first in case there are some good deals out there?

Any idea what years will all fit this 08? From the reading I have done about Malibus, it seems anything earlier than 08 is different and anything after 2012 is as well?

Also, as a side question, what good wheel lugs should I purchase for this car? I noticed, checking his current factory wheel lug nut torque, the outer cap is deformed/rounded/squared on some like I read in another thread.

I believe I read McGard's were the best as replacements? Any idea if they are easily purchased/obtainable from jobber type stores?

kschachn said:
I know it is a broken record on here but the General Altimax Arctic are very good winter tires. They are essentially the Gislaved Nordfrost 3 design (I have Nordfrost 5s for my BMW) and on the two other cars where I use the Alitmax tires they work very well.

irv said:
He has new Generals on there now so I will be sure to look into those too.

I've had great luck, (wear and cost) with Coopers so whoever is cheaper will likely get my business.

Thanks for the info.

If 16" rims fit you can get more sidewall to get a similar speedo reading. A more flexible tire chucks slush from its blocks better and is better for potholes and other drama.

That car takes the 5x110 pattern used by HHRs and lots of saabs. There are LOTS of late 90s saab aluminum wheels out there for pennies.

The Nokian Hakka R3 is probably the best studless winter tire out there
smile.gif

Tire Rack has some good tire/wheel packages, including some minus-size 16-inch tires that will fit your Malibu with no problems and will cost less than the OE size 17 inches. A good low-cost package from TR would be the 16-in basic steel wheels and True North tires.

You may also want to check out 1010 since it's a Canadian site that may have more winter tire options, since there are many winter tires sold in Canada but not the US. For example, Hankook and Kumho sell winter tires in Canada but not down here. And even the companies/brands that do offer winter tires in the US have a wider selection in Canada. For example, Conti sells the TS850P in Canada, but not the US.

Originally Posted by eljefino
If 16" rims fit you can get more sidewall to get a similar speedo reading. A more flexible tire chucks slush from its blocks better and is better for potholes and other drama.

That car takes the 5x110 pattern used by HHRs and lots of saabs. There are LOTS of late 90s saab aluminum wheels out there for pennies.

I was wondering if I could use/find 16's with a taller sidewall? I did that with my wife's Impala and the difference is negligible between the 2 tire sizes.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Nokian Hakka R3 is probably the best studless winter tire out there
smile.gif

Tire Rack has some good tire/wheel packages, including some minus-size 16-inch tires that will fit your Malibu with no problems and will cost less than the OE size 17 inches. A good low-cost package from TR would be the 16-in basic steel wheels and True North tires.

You may also want to check out 1010 since it's a Canadian site that may have more winter tire options, since there are many winter tires sold in Canada but not the US. For example, Hankook and Kumho sell winter tires in Canada but not down here. And even the companies/brands that do offer winter tires in the US have a wider selection in Canada. For example, Conti sells the TS850P in Canada, but not the US.

I wasn't aware of 1010, thank you! I will be sure to check them out.

The two types of Winter tires I've used have been Firestone & the Blizzacks. The Blizzacks have been clearly superior. I realize there are other fine winter tires, but the Blizzacks are always worthy if consideration.

If they fit with your application, I'd look into a bit narrower and taller tire. That may not be a factor, they may show alternate sizes on some sites.

Originally Posted by Mr_Joe
The two types of Winter tires I've used have been Firestone & the Blizzacks. The Blizzacks have been clearly superior. I realize there are other fine winter tires, but the Blizzacks are always worthy if consideration.

If they fit with your application, I'd look into a bit narrower and taller tire. That may not be a factor, they may show alternate sizes on some sites.

Good to know, Joe.

Thanks.

Please keep us updated with whatever you decide to get
thumbsup2.gif

Well, I can scratch the Cooper and General winter tires for my son as my Father just purchased a set of Michelin X ICE XI3's on Saab rims for his grandson.
Tires are only one year old and the rims look to be in real decent shape. My Father only brought up one tire/wheel tonight to make sure they fit, which they do.

He found them through my BIL who knew a guy who owned a 2012 Malibu. He sold the car but not the snowies for some reason. All in for $450 dollars.

My son now wants to switch the Saab wheels with his summer tires and use his stock rims for his winter tires. The Saab wheels look good so I don't blame him one bit.
(Not the actual rims/tires, just pics of what they look like)

0308_03z+2003_Saab_93_Vector+Wheel.jpg

saab-wheels.jpg

mi_xicexi3_pdpcrop.jpg

michelin-X-IceXi3_lg_super.jpg

Those Saab wheels also 17 inches, correct? So you are still looking for the same tire size listed in the OP 225/50-17

Get the Hakka R3 if you can
smile.gif

Those Saab wheels also 17 inches, correct? So you are still looking for the same tire size listed in the OP 225/50-17

smile.gif

You must have missed it, Slacktide? "Well, I can scratch the Cooper and General winter tires for my son as my Father just purchased a set of Michelin X ICE XI3's on Saab rims for his grandson"

My Father is bringing up the other 3 tires and rims today so I hope they look as good as the one we already have? There is a little curb rash on the wheel that is here but its not too bad. Can't complain for $450 in my opinion.

Originally Posted by irv

smile.gif

You must have missed it, Slacktide? "Well, I can scratch the Cooper and General winter tires for my son as my Father just purchased a set of Michelin X ICE XI3's on Saab rims for his grandson"

My Father is bringing up the other 3 tires and rims today so I hope they look as good as the one we already have? There is a little curb rash on the wheel that is here but its not too bad. Can't complain for $450 in my opinion.

I saw that, but the images show a different size 225/45-17

Even though you said those are just stock images, I thought the actual tires on the wheels you bought would still be that same, incorrect size 225/45 when your Malibu takes 225/50 and thought you said they changed the Malibu's tire size in 2012

Sorry for the mistake.

Originally Posted by irv

smile.gif

I saw that, but the images show a different size 225/45-17

Even though you said those are just stock images, I thought the actual tires on the wheels you bought would still be that same, incorrect size 225/45 when your Malibu takes 225/50 and thought you said they changed the Malibu's tire size in 2012

Sorry for the mistake.

I just chose some random pics off the internet to show the X Ice XI3 tires. The ones my Father purchased are 215/55 R 17's. A little narrower but that's perfect, imo, for a winter tire. Sorry for not posting the tire sizes earlier.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back