Winter tire test - truck tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this over on Pickuptrucks.com.
They tested dedicated snow tires vs all season vs all terrain vs mud

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/03/winter-tire-test-some-treads-are-better-than-others.html

Tires tested:
Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT OWL SL (P-metric)
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 SL (P-metric)
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT LT (E load range)
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 RWL LT (C load range)
Firestone Destination MT LT (E load range)

Can you guess which one wins?

Looks like the BFGs are the way to go, so they can be run year round and not have to worry. They're also one of my favorite tires in the first place anyways...

I wish they could have tested the toyo open country at2 or the similar tread Hancook or nitto. Still a good read. Thanks

I love this first sentence:

Originally Posted By: Pickuptrucks.com
Every so often I find myself checking out the tires of the vehicles around me when stopped in traffic, wondering how this or that one performs compared to the factory tires on my pickup truck.

I'm always looking at other trucks tires if I'm walking through a parking lot to see what shoes they've got on so I can determine my next set of tires.

So wait they tested a Load RANGE E ultragrip ice (studded)
vs a p-metric blizzak?

and the blizzak was better by a slim margin? Sounds fail for all the high technology of the blizzak there.

Take a half ton unloaded truck put load range E tires on it

then test it.. While that might be real life those 2 tire tests aren't really fair to compare.

The load range E tires are going to be tremendously stiffer.

Not to mention, they didn't linearly scale the tire pressure based on the change in load index. (JUST KIDDING!)

Thanks for the post, interesting read!

Originally Posted By: Rand
So wait they tested a Load RANGE E ultragrip ice (studded)
vs a p-metric blizzak?

and the blizzak was better by a slim margin? Sounds fail for all the high technology of the blizzak there.

Take a half ton unloaded truck put load range E tires on it

then test it.. While that might be real life those 2 tire tests aren't really fair to compare.

The load range E tires are going to be tremendously stiffer.
Studs make a huge difference in ice & snow, but unfortunately they're not legal everywhere (Illinois for example).

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yep the winter tires could easily be the difference between stopping fine or totalling a car in front of you

I don't care about the car in front of me. I don't want to total MY car!
grin.gif

Like I said before, comparing studded and non-studded tires?
How about comparing Blizzak DM-V2 with GY Ultra Grip WRT non-studded?
These people had too much time at their hands.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/03/winter-tire-test-some-treads-are-better-than-others.html

Tires tested:

It would have been easier if you had told us they conducted the test at Bridgestone's winter test facility. I can not imagine Bridgestone allowing the test to be conducted if they didn't know who was going to win.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Tires tested:

It would have been easier if you had told us they conducted the test at Bridgestone's winter test facility. I can not imagine Bridgestone allowing the test to be conducted if they didn't know who was going to win.

I am not sure how any of those tire will beat DM-V2 in snow considering that V2 is the only real winter tire there.
Like I said, waste of time. They suppose to test several winter tires, all non studded and then compare.
But regardless whether test was done in Bridgestone facility in Colorado, they are far ahead technologically of Goodyear and others. They should bring DM-V2, Michelin Latitude Xi2, Goodyear Ultra Grip SUV (EU version), Pirelli Scorpion winter, if they are available in these sizes.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yep the winter tires could easily be the difference between stopping fine or totalling a car in front of you

I don't care about the car in front of me. I don't want to total MY car!
grin.gif

You should care about the car in front of you, in case he has high quality winter tires, and you don't!

I personally don't want anyone able to out brake me in the snow.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back