Winter Tire Question to Nokian or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2011 Outback 3.6r and i've been shopping around to get ready to order some winter tires and rims for it. In years past I have ran Blizzack WS-60 on my Volvo and they always seemed to preform well but had very squirmy feeling sidewalls.
I have been looking into Nokian Tires specifically their HAKKAPELIITTA R2 and WR G3 tires.

From what I can gather the Hakka R2's seem to be considered a low rolling resistance snow tire, which I was never aware actually existed. I plan on traveling more this winter so any help in MPG a snow tire can give me over another brand would be welcome. I have also checked out their WR G3 which appears to be an beefy all season tire. I cannot find much in the way of information for that tire or reviews on its winter capabilities.

As of right now Tire Rack has Blizzack WS 70's on sale in my size for 99$, thats a heck of a deal considering that I'm probably going to order my rims from then, which means I would get them mounted and balanced for free. What I would like to know is if anyone has any personal experiences with either Nokian tire that I am looking at, would they be worth it over the WS 70 and are the Hakka's actually considered a LRR snow tire?

I have Nokian WR G3s on my Sotento.

The good - Very good snow traction

The bad
- The worst riding tires I have ever owned
- Very noisy
- Poor MPG
- Poor uniformity, high speed vibration
- Made in Russia

Last edited:
Are the Michelin Xi3's off the table for you? I ask because they are also a LRR option.

WS70 is getting long in the tooth. The Xi3 has since surpassed it.

If the WS70 is cheap, go for it. Otherwise, get the Xi3.

The Hakkas are outstanding but expensive.

I have ws70 and am not impressed with deep snow traction and wet traction. New ws80 will be out this month,

Originally Posted By: K20SiGUY
Doesnt look like I can find an Xi3's in the stock 225/60 17"

You might want to contact Tirerack (or wait until it's closer to the season) if you are interested in them. According to Michelin's Site, they make them in your size (as long as 99H is appropriate for your car).

We put the Xi3's on our Cruze last winter, didn't have any issues with them. I'm not a great source, as it was the first full winter with the car and the first winter with snow tires, but I will say I drove in a couple of inches a snow a handful of times and they did well - they are on my short list for another car or two this winter.

Last edited:
Doesnt look like I can find an Xi3's in the stock 225/60 17"

It's too early in the season. Most retailers won't get shipments of winter tires until September or October.

I would tell you to just wait until then to start shopping.

What I would like to know is if anyone has any personal experiences with either Nokian tire that I am looking at, would they be worth it over the WS 70 and are the Hakka's actually considered a LRR snow tire?

RR of the R2 is very low, actually it can be lower than many summer tyres (and generally lowest for nordic type winter tyres in tests that I have seen). But if WS70 is much cheaper I'd take it, it's a great choice for winter use too.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I think im going to hold off for now and see if tire rack ends up getting the Xi3's in my size, if not then ill probably go for the Hakkas. Its not that I didnt like my WS-60s, but if these 70s arent considered LRR and still have soft sidewalls id rather go with something that has more current tech and research behind it.

I have the Nokian Hakka R. Back when I purchased mine it was between the R and the XI3. They were the same price, so I went Nokian. They've been excellent snow tires for my Cruze after 3 winters and about 30-35k miles. I anticipate being able to get another winter or two out of them. The R2's are supposed to be the cat's meow compared to the R's, which is saying a lot since the R's are excellent. If the XI3 isn't available for a steal, that is!

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2011 Outback 3.6r and i've been shopping around to get ready to order some winter tires and rims for it. In years past I have ran Blizzack WS-60 on my Volvo and they always seemed to preform well but had very squirmy feeling sidewalls.
I have been looking into Nokian Tires specifically their HAKKAPELIITTA R2 and WR G3 tires.

From what I can gather the Hakka R2's seem to be considered a low rolling resistance snow tire, which I was never aware actually existed. I plan on traveling more this winter so any help in MPG a snow tire can give me over another brand would be welcome. I have also checked out their WR G3 which appears to be an beefy all season tire. I cannot find much in the way of information for that tire or reviews on its winter capabilities.

As of right now Tire Rack has Blizzack WS 70's on sale in my size for 99$, thats a heck of a deal considering that I'm probably going to order my rims from then, which means I would get them mounted and balanced for free. What I would like to know is if anyone has any personal experiences with either Nokian tire that I am looking at, would they be worth it over the WS 70 and are the Hakka's actually considered a LRR snow tire?

225/60 by nature will give you a tall sidewall, which translate to squirmy sidewalls by the tires available. It is compounded by a "studless" tire's softer & squirmier compound.

It would be difficult to find a "sportier" winter tire AND not sacrifice deep snow/ice traction.

the WR G3 with its all-season compound, will give up deep snow/ice traction compared to the Hakka R2.

With winter tires, you're not going to have your cake and eat it too. You're going to have to make compromises. It's even worse, with your tire size.

If you had the sedan, with the 225/50r17 size, you have more options, for both studless AND you have options in the "Performance Winter" category also.

Another tire that caught my eye is the Nitto NT90W
http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/Street/nt90w
It leverages technologies from its parent company, Toyo.

Hello,

Considering your location, you do not need hard core winter tire.
I have Lm-60 on CC and in CO on mountains never had problem.
On Tiguan, which is AWD, have WS-70, it is going like snow plow.
However, that is here in CO on 12000ft when I ski.
Both LM and WS are very soft for a reason, and you will get soft cornering etc. Michelin Xi3 is more compromise, not all-season tire, but not hard core winter like WS70.
Michelin Xi3 would be my choice in PA on Subaru.

Last edited:
You may also want to consider the Vredestein Quatrac 3. It's an "all weather tire" in the vein of the WRG3, but at a lower price. Made in the Netherlands.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
You may also want to consider the Vredestein Quatrac 3. It's an "all weather tire" in the vein of the WRG3, but at a lower price. Made in the Netherlands.

What I never liked about Vredestein is that they are very hard, not tread, but side walls.

If you can find Nokians in your size, do it! They are great snow tires.

The problem I have always had is it's hard to find them.

I had a set of Nokian Vativa on the Cherokee and those were amazing in the snow ... even though they weren't a true snow tire. My parents have Nokian Nordsman on their Focuscape - unstoppable. I took it to a hill with hard packed snow and ice (The winterforce on the Focus were struggling), turned off the traction control and planted the gas pedal. I thought I was on a paved road. They just grip great!

This is the time of year to find take-off wheels for future snow tire installation. Buy snow tires in October when the stores have their new stock and there are sales.

Keep in mind that everything is a compromise. The best snow traction comes with squirmy tread and fast dry-road wear. The best handling and best dry-road wear comes with compromised snow traction. Decide which factor is most important to you. (My latest winter tire purchase was the Hankook Winter i*cept evo which were listed by "Consumer Reports" as having the best hydroplane resistance and still good snow/ice traction...wet roads are a greater concern to me than the best snow or ice traction.)

I've got a set of Hakka R2 SUVs for the Jeep. Only 1 winter on them so far, but they're absolutely awesome. No mpg penalty, only a little bit mushy feeling, fairly quiet, great grip in fresh snow, as well as on ice and hardpack, good in the rain and not too slippery on dry pavement.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Keep in mind that everything is a compromise. The best snow traction comes with squirmy tread and fast dry-road wear. The best handling and best dry-road wear comes with compromised snow traction.

Not necessarily. In this german test for allseason tyres Michelin Alpin A4 has best wear resistance and it still has good grip on ice and snow.

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/rei...rcePageId=31821

Usually winter tires lose their ice/snow grip by compound aging in 3-6 years, not with wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back