winter time readyness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I am wondering if I missed anything for the winter time. Any specific repairs I should do or need to do . I have a new belt fresh oil and manual Tranny fluid, fresh antifreeze, Thermostat, tune up, and tires rotated and battery is only 5months old. Anything else I should do. I always carry tools and jumper cables and of course oil since it is a Saturn. Anything else I should watch for or think about for the winter time any known Saturn trouble that presents themselves in extreme weather. Let me kmow thanks all.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Winter floor mats?

something plastic or rubber to hold water and keep it from getting into your carpet.

salty water could make a mess with your floors.

you need to live in a snowy area for this to apply

Haha I have a can freshener smells like drunk chicks and peaches i don't think thats the flavor though!
crackmeup2.gif

I use my summer mats for the winter and the winter mats in the summer.

The rubber winter mats (oem BMW) are totally worthless with any amount of snow on my shoes. They overtop and drain all over the carpet. So I use the plush carpeted summer mats because they hold on to all the snow.

The summer mats are plush, but they are light grey and look dingy fast because I park in a gravel lot in the summer. So I use the winter mats because they hold on to the gravel and sand and are much easier to clean than the carpet mats.

Otherwise my only other winter prep is to throw my snow tires on. And toss a scraper in the trunk.

My saturn power steering howls below -10'F. You might want to get some M1 ATF in there; I've done it and it's better.

I would consider cardboard in front of the radiator; these cars warm up slowly even with new thermostats and it will help keep the average underhood temperature up just a little... think of that poor naked aluminum engine just sitting in there.
wink.gif
Haters- Don't hate until you've done it to a saturn.

The winter mats are all rubber and will hold a lot of water when the snow and ice melt. Sams and Walmart have them. I am talking $20s for mats, not the expensive custom ones. If you have old winter mats and you wife wears heels while driving, check if there is a hole or crack where the heel meets the rubber.

I switch to the expensive WW de-ice fluid for the winter. Many times I end up using it all year.

Got snow tires and rustproofing for both cars. We have ice scrapers, oil pan heaters on timers, and winter-formula windshield washer fluid in the reservoirs. That's about it...

Lube your hinges and locks.
Treat the rubber seals on the doors and trunk.
Winter wiper blades are nice in snow - they don't clog u .

Power steering makes a horrible noise when it's cold. Apparantly harmless, but I sure don't like it.

Is it like a noisy powersteering pump noise like when you turn the wheel.all the way and hold it? Can we use atf in our pumps? I've noticed when I turn real Sharp going slow on asphalt I get a squealing not belt squeal but kinda similar .

the way my plastic floor mats are shaped they hold water and keep it from running off onto the carpet. if I use the jeep everyday and its snowy ill get a little pond in the jeep if i dont drain them. lol

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Lube your hinges and locks.
Treat the rubber seals on the doors and trunk.
Winter wiper blades are nice in snow - they don't clog u .

That's basically my list plus change to winter tires around the end of November, beginning of December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back