Winter storage of GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
With some/most of us here building stashes (or hording as some have called it), of GC for future use, I am a bit concerned with this comment on the Castrol SLX spec sheet;

"Storage;

"All packages should be stored under cover. Where outside storage is unavoidable drums should be laid horizontally to avoid the possible ingress of water and the obliteration of drum markings. Products should not be stored above 60°C, exposed to hot sun or freezing conditions."

All kidding a side, does this mean I shouldn't store CG in the plastic quart bottles in the unheated but attached garage over the winter months or does this only apply to the bulk packaged GC in steel drums? My wife will shoot me if I have to move my 87 bottle stash inside for winter. What are the consequences of leaving the oil out in the unheated garage over the winter - other then upsetting the elves of course, which granted is bad enough? Plus what happens to the oil when it sits in the crank case over the winter if the car is in storage?

No consequences. Just keep it in your garage and out of water, and don't worry. The oil will be perfectly fine. Nothing happens with the oil.

It lasts years in-duty, stored in tight bottles is no biggie. Avoid super-cold with storing "dino" oils.

Great, I was hoping that I didn't have to get 87 pair of heated "bottle booties". I noticed that all the bottle lids seemed to be not as tight as they could have been when I bought them. As I loaded them into the trunk of the car, I was double checking all the bottle caps, to make sure I didn't loose a drop on the ride home. They weren't loose per say and had not been opened, it just seemed that the gasket in the cap wasn't completely compressed from the caps being fully torqued down. Watch, with my luck when I finally get to the last few bottle, I will probably need a wrench to get the caps off.

quote:

Originally posted by DeaconBlue:
I noticed that all the bottle lids seemed to be not as tight as they could have been when I bought them. As I loaded them into the trunk of the car, I was double checking all the bottle caps, to make sure I didn't loose a drop on the ride home.

Just be careful...I got so fanatical about tightening them down that I split one of the tops.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

I noticed that all the bottle lids seemed to be not as tight as they could have been when I bought them. As I loaded them into the trunk of the car, I was double checking all the bottle caps, to make sure I didn't loose a drop on the ride home.

Just be careful...I got so fanatical about tightening them down that I split one of the tops.
shocked.gif

You just don't know your own strength there Hercules!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

shocked.gif

You just don't know your own strength there Hercules!
grin.gif

...and then there was the time with the drain plug on my Mustang...

Well I scarfed up 18 more qts of M04 bringing my stash to 51 qts. I plan on keeping it in an unheated garage that is in the basement of my home. It can get pretty cold in the winter (Asheville,NC) in there but it never approaches freezing in the garage so I think I'm ok.
As far as the plastic bottle/drum stuff- many of the bottles I have bought had dust on them, so no telling how long they've been in those.

I'm just afraid the boxes stacked upon each other will fall and crush my 2yr old.
spaz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back