Winter 'shoes' for office goers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for winter shoes for office goers. Past few years, I have started getting Raynaud's like symptoms in my extremities. Toes are getting worse year after year. So I am looking for a very well insulated shoe that is compatible with office attire. The use of the suit is rare.

Most searches lead me to boots that are not compatible with office attire. Many at work use regular shoes that do not work with me. My toes get so numb that sometimes I run just to keep the toe warm.

Any suggestions welcome.

I don't know if any of this will help but...

Do you sit at your desk for long periods of time?
Do what my daughter does. Get a small space heater(if allowed at your work) and place it beneath your desk, aiming at your feet !
wink.gif

I have alway worn steel toe/plastic toe(safety type) shoes even in a casual or dress shoe. I find them to be better insulated, way better support and last a longtime. Along with a slightly heavier sock but not too thick or your feet will sweat and be cold.

I found that a looser shoe is better(than too firm or tight) and my feet can breath. 1/2 to one full size larger worked for me. I like slip-on shoes.

I also found that exercising my cold hands and feet helped with circulation. Getting away from the desk/out of the office helped too. Walking is good.

I also wore a stylish sweater or fleece(often with my company's logo) that was appropriate for the job position and office environment and looks sharp in meetings. This helped to keep my whole body warmer.

I can type at my desk with those small pair of fleece gloves on as I am doing right now as I type this...No problems with some practice.

When my hands and feet(and ears) are warm, I feel better. In addition, I prefer hot beverages to cold. Even if I am drinking water, I prefer it to be warm, not cold. Such as hot water instead of coffee in my cup.

Take bathroom breaks often which also helps. Eliminating fluids keep you warmer than holding it...Sorry for the graphics! Sounds like an contradiction but, drinking water keep us cool(er) and is a good thing. However, getting rid of it will help to keep you warm(er).

Best of luck & I hope this wasn't TMI,
CB

Last edited:
You can also buy electrically heated socks. Hunters use these when sitting outside. Try a hunting store (Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc) to see what they have.

I leave my office shoes under my desk in the winter. I wear hiking shoes when I commute to/from the office. Keeps the slush and salt off my nice shoes. Is that an option for you?

This is 2020. Are you going to be reprimanded for wearing stylish 3/4 boots with your casual attire?
So looking like these guys is a no no at your office?

$39 ordered from the Home Depot.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A shoe/boot with an adequate toe box is necessary whether you have a condition or not.

This requirement makes shoe fitting a little more difficult and time consuming.

I got a pair of very plain 6" leather boots which look exactly like dress shoes when wearing slacks/jeans.

I forget the name but a discrete tag reads "SR/USA". A sewn tag on the inside of the shoe's tongue reads "Work America".

There's an approval code inside which reads "USPS UOC PF3-2790". I assume their Postal Service approved.

Unlike Smith work boots (Chinese made with American Flags on the box), these are made here.

I found 'em in Hackensack and you can too. Seriously, if you can't find the name I'll pop over to the store and ask....because I want your toes warm.

I would look into the socks side of the equation more than the shoes. There are socks that are made for cold hiking and camping. Check out a hiking camping supply place

Check with your office if a heater is allowed. Many frown on that idea. Another option is a kind of foot warmer plate that sits on the floor.

You don't want something that is too hot. The reasons are obvious with nerve conditions.

Are your feet cold because they are wet? 2pair of wool socks, just like in my ship yard days helps. Wool because they wick sweat away. Wool socks, rather than insulated boots which made my feet sweat.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for winter shoes for office goers. Past few years, I have started getting Raynaud's like symptoms in my extremities. Toes are getting worse year after year. So I am looking for a very well insulated shoe that is compatible with office attire. The use of the suit is rare.

Most searches lead me to boots that are not compatible with office attire. Many at work use regular shoes that do not work with me. My toes get so numb that sometimes I run just to keep the toe warm.

Any suggestions welcome.

Do you smoke?
Do you drink a-lot of caffeine products - or sugary foods?
Any prescription drugs you are currently taking, need to be switched to something else / similar.
Have you been checked for diabetes?

I guess the cost for this might add up over time, but toe warmers like skiers and hunters use really do work!
You can wear them under any shoe you want and good ones will still be warm at 3-4pm after I put them on around 7:30am to ski.
I look for huge boxes of hand and toe warmers at big box stores whenever I am shopping, I will buy them in July because I know they will get used eventually.
The adhesive on the warmers will stick especially well to wool socks (which almost all decent ski socks are made from), maybe not so well on polyester.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would look into the socks side of the equation more than the shoes. There are socks that are made for cold hiking and camping. Check out a hiking camping supply place

I agree. Merino wool socks are amazing and you can use them while you're hanging out around the house.

Originally Posted by Pew

I agree. Merino wool socks are amazing and you can use them while you're hanging out around the house.

Yep and I also have this condition though not as severe as the OP. One idea would be ski socks which look like they use merino wool as you mentioned.

Just came in from running around for gas, 2.159 a gallon. My feet are cold and damp. I have a drawer full of wool socks.Just changed 'em. I change socks as much as 3X a day now that I stay home. It calms my neuropathy when I have warm dry feet
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Pew

Yep and I also have this condition though not as severe as the OP. One idea would be ski socks which look like they use merino wool as you mentioned.

Ski socks are usually wool, but they are also usually reinforced in certain high pressure areas (like where your shin pushes on the ski boot) that probably won't do much to make the OPer more comfortable, typically are very long which might be odd for wearing to work, and also tend to be pricey. Ski socks might be just fine, but I'd look at wool hiking socks first.

Are shoes/socks breathable, if your feet are sweating and the socks soaks up moisture and get damp then your feet will get cold. Look into warm breathable socks and breathable shoes like others mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back