winter oil for daily driver 2002 LS1, which mobil-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's shaping up for a cold winter. I'm due for a oil change on the 2002 SS. I have redline 10w30 in it now, just over 5k miles on oil and 13k on car. Due to wedding planning, I really shouldn't spend the $$ for more redline. So I was thinking of going with mobil-1. What's the difference between the 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30? I'm aware of their viscosities, but how are they made up? Is one any better, in terms of base oil I guess, than the other? Does one have more group IV in it than the other, like the 0w30? Or more PAO? I know I'm kind of throwing out oil terms here, hopefully not incorrectly. But what would be best weight, in terms of 6 month oil change intervals, usually 5-7k miles, over the winter months for this motor? Car will be driving when roads are clear, but may stay in unheated garage for 1-2 weeks at a time. And factory recommendation is, of course, 5w30.

Well, to my knowledge, they are are group IV PAO based, with the wider-spread oils having a small amount of VII's.

Certainly, any Mobil1 could actually get the job done (with maybe the exception of the 15w-50),

Your call FMF. I think all three grades would be acceptable, with the 0w-30 and 5w-30 having the edge over 10w-30 in cold-flow startup.

Are you dead set on running Mobil1?

My vote goes to 0w40 Mobil 1, which I think is probably the best overall viscosity (of Mobil 1) to use year round in an LS1 engine.

Although it would be nice to see you stick with Redline a while and do some UOAs, of course you should switch to 5w30 Redline if you're going to stay with them.

[ October 24, 2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Noises...Cold Start Knock?

Can you find "German Castrol" 0w-30 in your neck of the woods?

[ October 24, 2003, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by 1 FMF:
no, not dead set on running mobil-1. Nor on any oil, just looking for something cost effective that will go 6 months and 5k+ miles. I ran mobil 0w40 over last winter, It didn't help with any of the noises so I'd rather stick with the xw-30 oils.

How about Amsoil 5w30 then? One of our site sponsors can hook you up for a great price, and this oil can handle winter extremely well.

no, not dead set on running mobil-1. Nor on any oil, just looking for something cost effective that will go 6 months and 5k+ miles. I ran mobil 0w40 over last winter, It didn't help with any of the noises so I'd rather stick with the xw-30 oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back