Winter is coming, time for new jumper cables

Been using somewhat junky jumper cables for a long time and I am tired of it. So time to get new , well built jumper cables.
2 x 7.5' #2 AWG cables with an Anderson SB350 connector on one end and 400 amp clamps on the other
2 x 7.5' 2/0 cables with a slave plug on one end and an SB350 connector on the other end
1 set of 10' 2/0 cables with SB350 connectors on both ends

With this setup I can jump anything I own. I can use the clamps or the nato plugs for 12v or 24v setups at 15 feet. If I add the connector cable I can do 25 feet which should be more than plenty. I can even plug straight into the anderson connectors on my growler.

Old jumpers, served me well over the years but showing their age and are hard to use on my gensets.
20221015_124140.jpg

New setup
20221015_124746.jpg

Nice clamps on these
20221015_124849.jpg

Have you ever thought of buying the Lithium Ion battery jumper pack.
It is around $50-$60 for a decent one on Amazon.
I have a bunch of them. 12v is easy to find but 24v ones are expensive (I only use lifepo4). I have a few 24v systems.
Plus with jumpers you don't have to worry about your jump box being charged.

Used one of my dewalt tool bags and made a little kit for the back of the truck. Got the jump box for people I don't know that ask for a jump. Got the cables for my stuff and other situations that warrant.
20221025_140954.jpg

Got the big jump box for my truck and people with diesel that may ask for a jump.
20221025_142233.jpg

Jumper cables can go bad??? I thought that the ends just need to be cleaned occasionally.

My dad had some in his garage that the rubber on the cables is brittle and cracking. They're probably 40 years old, though. But pretty much only good as copper scrap now.

My dad had some in his garage that the rubber on the cables is brittle and cracking. They're probably 40 years old, though. But pretty much only good as copper scrap now.
Mine are probably that old, but yeah if you are going to keep cables outside in cold weather, you need jacketing and insulation rated for the cold. Like the special extension cord I have for the snow blower.

Mine are probably that old, but yeah if you are going to keep cables outside in cold weather, you need jacketing and insulation rated for the cold. Like the special extension cord I have for the snow blower.

I don't think this insulation started failing due to cold weather. It's either exposure to chemicals or ozone or just plain old age. It's some sort of rubber-jacketed wire, and I've seen similar failure with really old rubber power cordage.

I am not sure that I want to risk my car to a lithium battery fire caused by a cheap Chinese battery.
That's why you notice I have a lifepo4 jump pack. Does not eliminate the issue but they are safer. Plus they are supposed to last longer, who knows about that :) I have to admit liking the convenience of them.

I got the new cables because I needed heavier gauge cables for the growing number of diesel engines I have. Sometimes a jump pack won't cut it with them.

Back