Wine - What's the best you have tried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
71 Chatour for me with 82 Pichon Longueville Comtesse De Lalande a close 2nd. It was good going to the wine auctions during the mini depression here say 15yrs back when everybody was dumping their wine stocks, everything was so cheap. Can barely afford casks now (children do that to you)

sprint,
once had a glas of "Henschke" (sp) "Hill of Grace".

Was very very nice.

Remember when Holden started selling the "Grange" Commondore/Statesman...people bought a $60,000 car, so that they could get a case of Grange, and onsell the car.

My favorite red wine is whatever is on sale at Trader Joe's (though not the "Two-buck Chuck").

I have a very novice pallet but my most memorable wine was a 1997 Beringer Private Reserve Merlot. I had twice at The Capital Grille. The other years, I hear, don't compare to the 1997. It was like heaven paired with the dry aged steak.

I had a bottle of Opus One (1995?) at Napa Valley Restaurant once that was considered controversial (whatever that means), it was good.

I know mostly drink pinot noir.

The best wine I've had was "Heuriger" (this years fresh white wine) in Austria. I was 16 and on vacation with friends. Heuriger drinks like fruit juice, but it's loaded as we all found out. It took me ten years until I could even drink any white wine again. These days I like mostly Cabernet Sauvignon that aren't bottom of the barrel -- or are they?
wink.gif

As for posh brands, I don't spend money on expensive booze, but the best wine I had was a bottle of Chilean Merlot that I got for my birthday a few years ago. I'v also had some good Aussie shiraz and I do like decent quality port.

quote:

My favorite red wine is whatever is on sale at Trader Joe's (though not the "Two-buck Chuck").

Someone gave me a bottle of TJ's two-buck Charlie recently. You think it will improve with age?
tongue.gif

Razl you have style my friend. Opus One nice. Mondavi/Rothschild joint venture. Had 6 bottles of the 88 from Langtons Wine Auctions a long long time ago when I had money. I also like Pinot's best now but there is a lot of rubbish around.

quote:

Someone gave me a bottle of TJ's two-buck Charlie recently. You think it will improve with age?

Yes, it should age nicely into a low-quality vinegar.

Seriously though, once a year we pick up a case of T.J.'s Syrah for $36 and use it to make sangria. I guess if you add enough fruit and sugar to anything it can be drinkable...

quote:

I must say I find most of Beringer's offerings insipid and uninspring.

I wouldn't buy from a company whose employees can't pronounce the company name properly.

Anyway, I cruise through NAPA usually a few times a year when I give friends the tour.

I'm a beer guy so I don't really have a favorite but I like Churchill and Clayborn's wines. I live right in the middle of one of california's wine regions. we have over 100 wineries in our county and are known for Zinfindels and Cabernet Sauvignon.

quote:

I wouldn't buy from a company whose employees can't pronounce the company name properly.

most winery employees don't speak english.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back