Wine & Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does wine go so well with cheese? And on that note, why does cheese go so well with wine? Is there such a thing as a wine and cheese diet? Would this diet do anything other than make me drunk, fat, consipated, and happy? I was hoping to lose weight. It's low carb, right? That is, as long as I stay away from the crackers.

So I got nothing fancy here, but it's still too good not to want every single day. A big bottle of Yellow Tail Big Bold Red, some "New Zealand Sharp Cheddar" from Trader Joe's, and a box of Red Oval Farms Stoned Wheat Thins. Okay, I could do without the crackers. Wine and cheese diet. I could lose 20 pounds in a month, right?

Kroger "private selection" pepper jack cheese is good, you can actually taste the peppers. I wonder why so much cheese out there taste bland? (like at Subway, american/provolone taste all the same)

Bleu d'Auvergne and Stella Rosa Black was my treat last night. The wine took out the bitter notes, and made the cheese so much more mellow, and the cheese made me want more of the wine
smile.gif
Downside was that I was on a roll, finding myself ready to devour the all of the cheese and suck the bottle down.
That diet sounds phenomenal, but the cost of cheese is of a ribeye, and I can go through much more of the stuff than meat
smile.gif
Oh, health diet, I'm out
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Kroger "private selection" pepper jack cheese is good, you can actually taste the peppers. I wonder why so much cheese out there taste bland? (like at Subway, american/provolone taste all the same)

I hate bland cheese, and food, and wine. This wine is actually a bit bland, but it's not the worst. Have you had Red Dragon mustand seed and ale cheese? The problem is the cheese is so good that I can't find a wine good enough to pair with it.

No unfortunately body doesn't work like that. A diet of 2,000 calories is recommended as that is what the average persons body will consume in a day just by existing. It can go up and down depending on age, weight, and gender. Beyond that however you use little food to actually keep yourself alive. In the sense that if there was two of you one that sat home all day watching the on the couch and one going to work both of you would require roughly the same amount of calories.

Maybe 20% of that 2,000 calories will go towards excess energy. Most of the calories you burn in a day comes from your body keeping itself warm and the heat radiating away. Roughly 3,000 calories in 1 pound of fat so even if you didn't eat for a month you would have a hard time losing 20 pounds (your body is pretty good at losing water weight due to dehydration) but it will gain that weight back fairly quickly soon after it is lost so it shouldn't be considered lost weight.

Last edited:
Port pairs well with any sort of blue cheese.
Real port, of course, although we've had some pretty good fake port from Cali.

OTOH Trav, you were apparently reading the thread.
Since our resident German expat master tech has weighed in, I'll note that there are many very good German whites available at very reasonable prices and they pair very well with cheeses like gouda or ermanthaller IMHO.
Wine goes with cheese as love goes with spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back