Windshield wiper reservoir fluid

Wallmart SuperTech, summer formula. A few years ago, I had an opened, partially filled bottle of this stuff that had floating black mold in it. Don't know how long it was sitting on the garage floor. Never had one mold over since.

Curious why distilled water is a requirement. I could understand if you had some funky well water with a ton of calcium or something, can't see municipal tap water causing an issue.
I can‘t answer this. I’ve tried spring, tap and distilled. Distilled is noticeably better.

I'm not clear at all what you're saying really. But EtOH is generally less solvent than MeOH.

And that would apply to IPA as well, I've never seen any credible information it's worse on paint and rubber than any other alcohol. Sounds like Internet misinformation.
This discussion of using methanol as a windshield fluid scares me. Methanol is highly toxic to people and pets and can be absorbed through skin contact and inhalation. It will also blind you if it gets in your eyes. A hard no on methanol.

When discussing alcohols, a simple mnemonic device is to equate the E’s in edible with ethanol, the stuff you can drink.

^ You shouldn't be scared of methanol, as it's been a popular alcohol in washer fluid for decades, never had any problem using it.

Over a lifetime, I can't think of a single instance that I've heard of, from washer fluid methanol causing someone harm, in real life. Maybe there's some fringe case where an alcoholic going through withdrawl, didn't know the difference and drank that, or rubbing alcohol, or whatever, not knowing the danger but that's about it.

I don't drink from my washer nozzle like it's a water fountain, never had any pets try either, never had enough get on my skin to matter, never tried to snort it so inhalation level was too minimal to even call trivial, and as far as I can remember, I haven't tried to use it as an eyewash either. It's just too difficult to be on the hood of the vehicle with my head against the glass while pushing the washer button. ;)

Lots of things are toxic. Can't use gasoline in your ICE vehicles either? What about ethylene glycol based antifreezes, avoid using those too? How about spray paint, brake cleaner, Mr Clean w/ammonia, or eating at Waffle House?

Distilled water from my home dehumidifier plus some dish washing fluid for about 10 years now. Cost is practically zero, no visibility issues, no wiper blade issues. No trips to anywhere, home made free stuff.

I have a jug of Prestone 2 in 1 (orange) handy. Is it safe for washer fluid sensor in bmws? I heard silicone in rain x kills the level sensor (a form of silicone is also present in Prestone)

During the summer I bought some Traveler or Splash potable RV antifreeze when it was on clearance for under 2 bucks.
I’ve always wondered how well RV antifreeze works as a glass cleaner - I usually grab a jug of 0*F washer fluid for the mountains during winter time, can’t get it at lower altitudes. I can always get RV antifreeze here.

I know RV antifreeze also has phosphate as well to serve as a corrosion inhibitor.

In the summer I use those blue tablets in water. In the winter, the 0 degree blue Walmart stuff with a blue tablet dropped in.

Back