Windshield Scuff Marks

Status
Not open for further replies.
recent used car purchase has a 1/4 inch line made by a malfunctioning wiper blade, It is not a scratch as ones fingenail does not catch on it, more like an an abrasion or scuff mark.

Any products that may be able to buff this out? Do windhield glass shops have the ability to buff it out?

thoughts appreciated

I've got a couple of these, that I somehow got from a gas station squeegee. Bothered me for a while, but never did anything to remedy the problem.

I'll be interested to see what people have to say here.

turtle wax rubbing compound then polishing compound. might not get it all but should help

It could be a very fine scratch...Get some cerimuim oxide that is what they use to get fine scrathes out of glass...I would not use any type of rubbing compound...you may put some more scratches in the glass.....

Eastwood makes a kit to polish out scratches on windshields. I have one and it works but be prepared to spend some time on it, the progress is very slow.

Yes they use that chemical I mentioned . You gave to mix it into a paste and use a slow speed drill with the felt pad and you are right it takes a lot of time...

If you polish it be gentle and don't dig too deep, you could misshape the outside into a "lens" and cause an optical distortion. Alternatively tape off all but 1/2 inch and keep the lens too small to bug ya.

Where do I either find the cerimuim oxide or the Eastwood Kit?? Auto parts stores do not seem to have these products?

Originally Posted By: PT1
Take a large rock and...then call your State Farm agent...

Haha!! Exactly what I'd do. Automatic center punch is better, though... Won't bounce off and scratch your hood.

Originally Posted By: Spector
Where do I either find the cerimuim oxide or the Eastwood Kit?? Auto parts stores do not seem to have these products?

You want "cerium oxide". An interweb search should find some ideas.

Originally Posted By: Spector

Eastwood is a company every auto enthusiast should be familiar with.
grin2.gif

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2024&itemType=PRODUCT

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
and you wonder why auto insurence keeps going up...A very stupid suggestion...

I find it funny when my friends that live on the east coast complain about us country bumpkins that have car insurance rates that are 3-4 times cheaper for the same vehicle. If you live in a regional subculture that celebrates insurance fraud, guess what? You're insurance rates will skyrocket!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back