Windshield protection film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Googled this and several brands claim to be the "best" (bestest!)
My VW Golf Sportwagen took a rock to the windshield and caused a softball sized radial/circumferential crack. I got the windshield replaced today. Is there a reliable film protector for windshields or a comparison test??

Good idea in theory, but I don't see any form of plastic coating holding up over the long haul. I've yet to see a glass windshield without some form of marks on it from wipers, there's no way plastic is not going to scratch.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Good idea in theory, but I don't see any form of plastic coating holding up over the long haul. I've yet to see a glass windshield without some form of marks on it from wipers, there's no way plastic is not going to scratch.

There was a push a while back to coat the inside of windshields with plastic as a safety mechanism . Supposedly it reduces lacerations. US DOT or some government agency would not approve it because the film was too easily damaged, and cut visibility.

Yes, there are such films. In fact I looked into them a few years ago as in Colorado they use a significant amount of gravel along with deicing agents in the winter. If an errant rock from some dump truck doesn't crack your windshield here, the gravel eventually pits the windshields over time. I wanted to get one of these films on my Maxima to prevent further damage to my original windshield, but the 3M shop I took it to said because there were already small chips that had been repaired (from actual rocks, not gravel) that because they had to use heat in the application process, it could actually cause the chips to crack and destroy the windshield. However, for a new windshield and if you're in an area that uses gravel or you at risk for rock chips, I would definitely pursue looking into one. Just make sure to check into the film and application warranty. Let us know what you find.

Here's one I found made by Madico - a huge film manufacturer:
https://madico.com/automotive/windshield-protection

Last edited:
Originally Posted by daaneel
Check out obsessed garage. I think he is running some sort of windshield film on his Porsche. That guy is obsessed over the best stuff.

+1

He has a lot of good YouTube videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back