Windows Vista SP1 Drops To Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista SP1 and XP SP3 will be released in the first part of 2008. These are beta release candidates. Wait for the final version.

I like Windows computers and Macs so I think I have an unbiased viewpoint. I have used Macs for a long time and Windows computers also.

Apple has already released two free updates for Mac OS 10.5 (which itself was released not so long ago). The first update for one thing apparently addressed some issues in the firewall.

The second update is something like 350 MB in size so that gives you some idea of how many issues it deals with.

There is some good stuff in Leopard but personally I think Apple may have released it too soon. It seems like, judging from the first two free updates, that there were some issues. There have been some complaints about display issues with the new iMacs, and more complaints about Leopard probably than Tiger when it came out.

There is no perfect operating system. There are always bugs in software and there are always potential security issues. You have to patch every single operating system. According to what I have been able to find out Microsoft has achieved the lowest rate of mistakes in software in the industry.

I have run Windows Vista computers and as long as a person has a computer that is powerful enough to run Vista I don't know what people are complaining about. Talk about headaches-Windows XP is a headache. Vista runs smooth.

It looks like Vista is not catching on as much as Microsoft had hoped. We are getting near the end of this year and only about 40 million copies of Vista.

Apple is taking off. If Apple can keep going like it is going right now 10% market share (in the USA personal computer market) is within reach. Worldwide it is probably something like 3%. Heck, 15% market share may be within reach. It is good that Microsoft will have some competition. I think competition is good.

There are good points and bad points about both Macs and Windows computers. Macs are expensive. Windows computers are headaches when it comes to malware. In an absolute sense Macs are probably no more secure than Windows Vista-maybe even less secure. But in a practical sense Macs are much safer because there is far less malware. And it is "in" to hate Microsoft. If Apple was 90% of the market maybe it would be "in" to hate Apple. In the end both Apple and Microsoft are just corporations.

It is silly to have total loyalty to a brand. When I was young the three vehicles I wanted the most were a Ford Mustang, a Jeep, and a F150 Ford pickup truck. My Dad liked Chevy trucks although he seemed to like Ford cars alright. Ten or twenty years from now Ford and GM may both be gone. We may all be driving mostly Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas.

Well, twenty, thirty or fifty years from now Microsoft and Apple may both be ancient history. Who knows what software and computer hardware will be like that far in the future. If you are a young person today your great grandchildren might ask you about the old Apple or Windows computer you have in a box in the garage.

Personally myself I like Windows Vista. The great majority of my software and hardware would work with it (the notable exception being a dedicated film scanner). With the upcoming SP1 for Vista there is supposed to be even more support for various hardware.

Mac OS X is a nice operating system. It is nice to look at and I like it.

It is true that Windows Vista needs a more powerful computer than Windows XP. As long as the computer is strong enough and you have reasonably recent software and hardware you are good to go. No company is going to have never ending support for their really old software and hardware. Sooner or later you will have to buy a new printer, a new scanner, a new version of Photoshop.

Heck, the same is true of Apple computers. With each new operating system release the older software and hardware fades into history.

In 2007 more versions of Desktop Linux came into the picture. PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, etc.

I have been retired now for about 3 1/2 years and the main use of Linux was still mainly on all our servers.

Mac OS falls into the Linux category.

I run mainly Linux in a dual boot mode along with Windows XP.

Linux works well on older computers depending on the desktop used. I use the Gnome version and have much of the eye candy disabled along with unnecessary services.

If you have an older computer around collecting dust, a fast distribution of Linux is Geubuntu.

Link To Geubuntu

Seems that Vista is taking in on the chin in the business world. Where I worked they just replaced several computers and ordered them with XP.

Seems that Vista will end up kind of like Windows ME at least in the short term? Who knows?

I Run Linux Mint Daryna 4.0 (based on Ubuntu) and have ran PCLinuxOS, etc.

Link To Linux Mint

Dell, Wal-Mart, and others are now selling Linux based computers.

Looks like at least for now that Ubuntu Linux for desktops is the most popular distribution and can be found in many languages.

For those considering Ubuntu Linux, I recommend that you purchase a book called "The Official Ubuntu Book" at your local book store. There are a few other books too that are helpful. One being "Ubuntu Hacks".

One always hears that one must be a "Geek" to run Linux, but I don't find that to be an issue with the latest distributions.

Mystic is 100% correct that in a few years who know what will come along as far as an operating system.

Originally Posted By: Mystic

There is some good stuff in Leopard but personally I think Apple may have released it too soon.

That's good to know. It will be a month or two before I get my new PC. Hopefully, Apple will have all the bugs worked out.

I plan on making the machine a dual boot, so I can use Windows software when necessary.

There are ways to run Windows software in either Mac OS or Linux.

You can also can boot into several installed operating systems at startup.

I like the idea of using separate hard drives as they become very reasonable but you can partition one drive too.

Many years ago I bought a 120 meg drive and the salesman asked me what I was going to use all that hard drive space for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back