Windows reset?

I brought my PC back from sleep this morning, everything normal (used all yesterday, no issues, too). Clicked on Google to start surfing and it froze. I waited a few minutes and the homepage was still frozen. Its done this a few times in the past and hitting the tower rest button solved the issue. This time, the boot up was different and was asked to resign in and half my desktop icons were gone along with the background pic. It was as if I reloaded Windows (10 Pro, btw). I tried to do a system restore, but they are all gone! I looked in File Explorer and still have , I believe, everything under Windows-User-me, but as I've said, it all not on the desktop as if it forgot.

Anyone have an idea of how to get things back to normal...if possible? Link to directions would be great, too!

Thanks!

Did you right-click on your Desktop and did you check under the View option that Show desktop icons is checked?

With a frozen browser or any misbehaving program, I like to use Process Explorer to kill the process and wait and see if the problem returns after launching the program again.. You can also use Task Manager to end any process.

Last edited:
I tried to do a system restore, but they are all gone!
A System Restore is basically a "start over". You can make "restore points" on a daily basis, weekly, yearly, or never, then when you do a system restore, it will ask you restore point (based on a date) you want to use.

Since it has frozen similarly before, there's something wrong. Could be hardware or software and if it's hardware-related, it will happen again.

Did you right-click on your Desktop and did you check under the View option that Show desktop icons is checked?

With a frozen browser or any misbehaving program, I like to use Process Explorer to kill the process and wait and see if the problem returns after launching the program again.. You can also use Task Manager to end any process.
Show desktop icons is checked. I do have icons (all games and programs) but folders have disappeared. I couldn't click on anything...nothing responded.

A System Restore is basically a "start over". You can make "restore points" on a daily basis, weekly, yearly, or never, then when you do a system restore, it will ask you restore point (based on a date) you want to use.

Since it has frozen similarly before, there's something wrong. Could be hardware or software and if it's hardware-related, it will happen again.
All restore points are gone. Did a little bit of a search online and tried the shut-down/restart 4 times method. Still no go.

My initial assumptions is a bad Windows update was installed, OEM drivers that are incompatible with an update, or malware.

In the start menu, type in users and click on this when it comes up:

1677100250674.png

Do you see your actual username in the list when the users window comes up?

My initial assumptions is a bad Windows update was installed, OEM drivers that are incompatible with an update, or malware.

In the start menu, type in users and click on this when it comes up:

View attachment 141609

Do you see your actual username in the list when the users window comes up?
No other users pop up, but did see something from MS listed under "Other users" : ASP.Net Machine account...I haven't allowed it access. I signed into my MS account to look for sign on activity. Someone in Lithuania tried to sign in on 2/9 but was denied. That's it. Made my MS password stronger, too.

I was having some issues with my new build it was 100% software related to the asus crapware that you are supposed to install for the motherboard.
Going fine now.
after I removed ai enabled mic, asus framework, asus something, and the armoury crate lite service

I would install windows fresh and see what happens before assuming hardware problem.

Last edited:
Kinda not clear if it worked or not.... 🤷‍♂️
I read that as there were no restore points so nothing to restore to.
besides which he states "This time, the boot up was different and was asked to re-sign in"

so sounds like windows was having a seizure and sorta fixed itself.

all the more reason for a fresh install.. or maybe a factory restore if it has that on a hidden partition.

Using the reset button when it hangs could corrupt system files causing more problems resulting in more resets. There are simple command lines to check and repair said files but I'm going to post a link to official documentation.

I read that as there were no restore points so nothing to restore to.
besides which he states "This time, the boot up was different and was asked to re-sign in"

so sounds like windows was having a seizure and sorta fixed itself.

all the more reason for a fresh install.. or maybe a factory restore if it has that on a hidden partition.
That's correct. No restore point available to do a restore.

Jethro-Bob, thanks, I'll look into that.

enter "CMD" in the search box. Right click "Run as administrator." Type in "sfc/scannow." That will check each Windows file for corruption. It will fix the issue also.

enter "CMD" in the search box. Right click "Run as administrator." Type in "sfc/scannow." That will check each Windows file for corruption. It will fix the issue also.
I ran this and it did find some corrupt files and fixed them. I didn't fix the issue, though, but thank you!

I had a thought last night: if all my files are still under User-me, maybe the restore points are, too. Went in there and r-clicked on properties, saw previous versions, clicked and saw options, clicked on one from last week and its going through right now. I'm on the laptop right now, so we'll see what happens. I'll do the system check process again after its done. Crossing my fingers!🙂

**Well...that didn't work. Restarted PC and still the same. It's weird, too, that I have to resign into all forums and such after each restart now. Never did that either. How do I have restore points under User, but this happens?

Last edited:
Consider saving your files and bookmarks to an external drive, then formatting the C drive and reloading the latest version of windows that your system can support. Sometimes there is no magic fix and only a fresh start works.

Remember, it is often less time consuming to reload than to spend days troubleshooting. Just ensure you have the programs (and magic codes) you need before you wipe it out.

However,,,,,, I had a bad video card recently and the problems were very weird (and did not indicate the video card in any way ) Problems much the same way as yours. Some files disappeared, computer would not restore, boot up was unstable, etc.

Back