Windows Media Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really liking Media Center. If I have the Media Center Edition Windows is their a way I can remove it? I went into Add/Remove programs but it wasn't listed.
smile.gif

without having ever actually used wmc i would guess you probably have to go into sysoc.inf and delete the "hide" text, save the inf, and go back into add remove and see if its there.

Under add/remove windows components, there is a listing called media ehancements, that may be it.

That said why would you want to remove it? Not much more then a ****** interface for CD/burning/backup and DVR function. I don't think it's hurting anything. AFAIK there are no background programs running or anything.

-T

Windows Media Center Edition is an Operation System not a program. It is a version of Windows XP. You don't see it in the add/remove programs because it can't remove itself. To get rid of Windows Media Center Edition you would have to reformat and use a Windows XP disk to install Windows XP.

I thought that there were some settings that would make Media Center Edition look and act like Windows XP Pro or Home Edition.

I think tmorris is correct. The computer can boot in the Media Center (my laptop has a separate ON button for it) instead of Win XP hence it is an operating system by itself. Of course, the components such as PowerDVD and WinMedia Player are available through XP as well.

quote:

Originally posted by CivicFan:
I think tmorris is correct. The computer can boot in the Media Center (my laptop has a separate ON button for it) instead of Win XP hence it is an operating system by itself. Of course, the components such as PowerDVD and WinMedia Player are available through XP as well.

It is more than that. It is the Operation System, there is no XP on it. There are 3 versions of XP: XP Home, XP Pro, and XP Media Center.

Here is the link to it.

Microsoft Media Center Edition 2005

This is probably what you have.

Take a look at the link above. Media Center Edition has more media features like supporting TV tuner cards, dvd recording, etc. If you have the hardware to support it, you can make a home entertainment center out of your PC.

Media center is still just XP home with extra features. They may sell it as a seperate operating system, and may make it hard to remove these features, but that doesn't mean it's not XP.

I work at a computer tech support, we have had numerous problems going from Windows Media Center to Windows Professional. Each computer we have done this on, we have done full NTFS formats (not quicks) and the computer ran fine, but the next day or two, would no longer run correctly. The one I had an issue with would not even load past the "Welcome" screen, in both normal and safe mode.

Buster, what about WMCE do you not like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back