Windows Desk Top to Apple Mac

Greetings-
I’m in the process of migrating from Win 10 laptop to an Apple Mac. Want to transfer my Desktop short cuts to the Mac. How does one do this? I looked but can’t find anything on this specific issue

Are they just shortcuts to websites? Or to programs/files on the Windows machine?

Either way you will likely have to re-do them for the Mac.

Greetings-
I’m in the process of migrating from Win 10 laptop to an Apple Mac. Want to transfer my Desktop short cuts to the Mac. How does one do this? I looked but can’t find anything on this specific issue
what do you mean by "desktop shortcuts"?

It was a long time, but I recall the migration tool took care of all this.

You want to use the dock, a lot of stuff on your desktop will slow your boot.

Give your self some time, don’t try to force it to be like a windows box.

If you mean website favorites, bookmarks, etc - whatever your browser calls them - don't put those on your desktop. Make them proper bookmarks inside your web browser. Plus, with modern web browsers, you can "login" and sync all of them across multiple computers, smartphones, tablets, etc.

If you mean shortcuts to apps, well, those aren't going to work at all, at least not without using some type of VM and I wouldn't suggest this for you.

If you mean website favorites, bookmarks, etc - whatever your browser calls them - don't put those on your desktop. Make them proper bookmarks inside your web browser. Plus, with modern web browsers, you can "login" and sync all of them across multiple computers, smartphones, tablets, etc.

If you mean shortcuts to apps, well, those aren't going to work at all, at least not without using some type of VM and I wouldn't suggest this for you.
Yes, shortcuts to sites, not apps. I have them saved ” properly” but much easier to just mouse
point and click on the screen rather than go to favorites/ bookmarks folder, scroll around until you find the site you want and then click on it

Greetings-
you can put shortcuts in the side bar (dock) by draggin to it.

But if you insist on desktop shortcuts, create a shortcut (called an alias on Mac) I think you control click and drag. The mini icon should be an arrow, not a plus. plus is to create a new copy.

Yes, shortcuts to sites, not apps. I have them saved ” properly” but much easier to just mouse
point and click on the screen rather than go to favorites/ bookmarks folder, scroll around until you find the site you want and then click on it
oh just save a bookmark to desktop. depends on the browser. you might be able to click the site icon that next to the url bar and just drag it to the desktop.

i forgot that IE/EDGE calls bookmarks shortcuts.

You may have to recreate them if the migration tool did not copy.

Multiple google hits on this by basically you click the url in safari and drag it to the desktop.

You can also drag it to the dock, which is what I would do if I was going to do this.

I have them saved ” properly”
If you haven't already done it, sign in to your browser (create a "profile") on the Windows machine. When you get the Mac setup, download the same browser, sign in with the same profile/username, and in a few seconds, your shortcuts will be back. Once they are, go to each website, then drag the 'icon' at the front of the URL to your desktop. Repeat for the rest of them.

You might want to consider using your browser's "bookmarks toolbar" or whatever it's called for that browser vs cluttering your desktop.

I run Parallels with Windows 11 on my work Mac mini because all of the software we use is windows only. It works great and these are programs open all day long for weeks at a time. My Mac does have 32GB of ram and both windows and MacOS run equally well.

This is my best possible solution as my entire life other work is on Mac and I much prefer the MacOS environment. For example, I set the middle mouse button to trigger Mission Control which allows me to quickly switch between the two environments.

you can put shortcuts in the side bar (dock) by draggin to it.

But if you insist on desktop shortcuts, create a shortcut (called an alias on Mac) I think you control click and drag. The mini icon should be an arrow, not a plus. plus is to create a new copy.
That’s it! What I was looking for

You may have to recreate them if the migration tool did not copy.

Multiple google hits on this by basically you click the url in safari and drag it to the desktop.

You can also drag it to the dock, which is what I would do if I was going to do this.
Thank you. i musta used an incorrect search term to come up empty

Back