Windows 8 upgrade offer backup/restore options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, so just the other day went for the $40 windows 8 upgrade offer that is still good until the end of the month. The price seemed fair enough and I was curious to upgrade from windows xp, a dated but classic os that works well if you don't count the security vulnerabilities (With all the xp system updates and minimal browsing I never encountered much noticeable trouble, but the word is the security is poor without a virus app running all the time).

Anyways, the first surprise was that the ~2 gig download did not provide an option to burn the download updater to a DVD or CDs (even though I thought I read on a forum that it did have that option).

I tried to clone the xp system which now had the downloaded and installed updater to another almost identical 500 gb drive, without success (should've done the slower sector by sector approach possibly)--the cloned system simply booted but hung in some loop (no luck trying to do safe boot or other such variants).

So, I say what the heck, just go ahead with the install and hope I'm lucky. I then get a BSOD, saying the video driver was caught in an infinite loop, and to restart and try again, which I did just to get the same BSOD. So I set the video resolution to 800x600 VGA, remove the display driver, and try again. This time I got lucky and after some time and reboots, I've got windows 8 on my system! Pheww!!

I play around a while with the new UI, and it's like they say, just simply unacceptable, so one thing in the to-do list is to get it to revert to a classic standard interface.

But that's not my first concern right now. My hard drive is already almost 5 years old I believe, and the old days where drives typically went over ten years without failing are no more (the flip side of the incredibly high storage densities these days, plus the price competitiveness of the business).

So, my question: what exactly do I need to protect myself against this inevitable scenario?
What are my options for being able to restore my system? And what are all the things I need to do?

Im not aware if you can upgrade from XP to windows 8 without alot of modifications especially without more memory ,,I heard you can with Vista with minor modifications

heyu, no problems running it, it's responsive; got 8 gigs ram and a good multiprocessor.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I upgraded from XP to Windows 8 and find it very good.

Yep, I'm a little happier now, and hope to be able to resolve the recovery option issue soon.

Progress report:

No way to get the classic UI back from microsoft (if they allowed that option, almost everyone would use it, making the management look as foolish as they are in reality): http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

Yet I'm fairly happy to be able to avoid the tablet like distractions most of the time after installing this guy: http://www.classicshell.net/

Still no progress on backup recovery options, seems like MS disabled quite a few features in the final release, and a recovery disk option was nowhere to be found, contrary to earlier reports which I assume were based on pre release or non-upgrade versions of windows 8, eg this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/ar...ipoftheday.aspx

2nd update:

Though I could notreplicate the above via UI, running sdclt.exe, does seem to bring up the same dialog as above. I think I should be set! awesome
cool.gif

Last edited:
I had always ascribed many of MS's foibles over the years to the fact that they kinda *have* to maintain an upgrade path and maintain backwards compatibility for much, much longer than anyone else, else they'd lose a lot of their business users who often use "legacy" systems. As much as users of other OS's back MS and Windows for all of the SNAFU's over the years, maintaining upgrade paths and backward compatibility must be very, very, very difficult. Apple doesn't do it; and I don't know of any Linux (desktops, at least) who don't "break everything" in order to affect a major change from time to time.

I just wanted to post an update to the Win 8 backup, restore image. It repeatedly failed to produce and restore a valid image. I tried to duplicate and move my system to a new identical 500 gb drive, only to error out at the restore process. Thus, if you're backing up your system, it is entirely possible you're falsely under the impression you may be able to restore your system---Not a good thing, if you didn't get the option to burn the upgrade to dvd which is what is the case for the old $40 windows 8 download upgrade.

It's possible that other will have better luck. The error could be an inability for windows system image to handle the boot sectors with the boot manager. (The win8 upgrade preserved the boot manager that I had on my old win XP system.)

The solution I found out was to do a sector boot copy using the dd unix command. Boot on a linux dvd and do a full dd copy of the drive.

Quote:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb [censored]=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back