Windows 7 Release Candidate Due Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's ready to download and install it? I'll have to re-work some of my hard drive partitions to fit it in there, but I'm excited to get my hands on it.

I'd consider using it but then I'd have to nuke the beta I've been running for months as my main OS without a hitch. :)

I downloaded the RC and burned a DVD. Did a backup using the free program mentioned here in another thread.

Running Vista 64 bit. Did the upgrade. Took almost 2 hours and in the final few minutes, it failed - restored Vista.

Next did a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit version. Spent hours downloading drivers, etc.

Problems I had was my video driver would not work as it should. Found a Beta driver on their web site and that is working OK.

Had to try 3 anti-virus programs before I got one that worked as it should.

Everything seems working with the exception of my card reader for video cameras. Not a big deal and will try and load the driver when I find time.

Did another backup to an external USB Hard Drive and will "play" with the installation when I find some more time.

Don't plan on installing in on our laptops.

The desktop - toolbar seems to have incorporated features of previous Windows - MAC O/S - Linux KDE Desktop but have not explored all the features yet.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
Who's ready to download and install it? I'll have to re-work some of my hard drive partitions to fit it in there, but I'm excited to get my hands on it.

First I want to know how much it's going to cost me to buy the real thing when the RC time is up.

Gateway with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 processor, 4 gigs of DDR2 Ram, 2 320 Gig drives.

Windows Vista 64 bit on one drive, two distributions of Linux on the other.

Doing OK now. Have not had a lot of computer time today to play with it.

As far as cost, plan on buying a new desktop sometime after the first of the year.

Think that I read somewhere that if you buy a new computer after June?, you can get a free upgrade to Windows 7.

After playing with the 64 bit version of Windows 7 for a few days don't see a lot of difference between it and Vista. Desktop-Toolbar has seen changes kind of like what Linux Gnome and KDE desktops have been offering and some things too that came from MAC O/C and previous versions of Windows.

Startup is a bit faster and so is shutdown. Other than that, haven't seen much difference yet.

Could be that Startup is faster as I have not completely loaded all my software back on the system yet?

I had a chance to talk to one of our software vendors the other day and happened to ask them about testing Windows 7. They told me that all their software that refused to run without major modifications took right off in Windows 7. I think that says something there for improved backwards compatibility since that software was first designed on Windows 2000 and then pushed over to XP.

Don't worry about speed. The computer suppliers will load up all their pc's with bloatware to slow '7' down to a crawl anyway.

Downloaded and installed 64bit on my Toshiba laptop. I can choose between the 64bit-7 and Vista-32 during bootup. All drivers kicked in and installed during a windows update. 10 minute to download and less then 1/2 hr to get it running on a hard drive partition created by Vista.

IE8 doesn't work too well. For some reason many things on various websites don't show up. Firefox downloaded and installed and all websites work perfectly.
Using Kaspersky 8 beta along with opendns to protect '7'.

Device manager shows acceptable drivers for everything on this laptop(Intel chip+cpu).
Windows 7 had issues finding/installing suitable drivers on my HP laptop(AMD+Nvidia).

Does anyone has a list of protection and productivity programs that will run on 7?

Don't care for benchmarks but it doesn't bootup(5400rpm drive limit) or feel any faster then Vista. Btw, I never really had problems with Vista. Strip the bloatware, installed programs that I use and need, and Vista runs great.

I suspect that 7 will be crippled by the computer builders.

I never put vista on my machine at home, but as it stands w7 is as fast as XP if not faster. I've used vista on brand new machines, and it is DOG SLow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back