Windows 7 Home Premium help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a Mac computer but have it partitioned so I can open my legal, 5 year old Windows 7 to talk to my Shimano equipped bicycle and to my VW. I rarely open Windows, the last time was almost a year ago. Today, when I tried to open Windows, it started to update and then stopped and reverted back to the Mac operating system. Has Microsoft disabled Windows 7?

To clarify, Win 7 support from Microsoft will end Jan 2020.
However, it will continue to operate, it won't just die because support ends.
But, it will get "buggier" over time as MS stops issuing "fixes" or updates.
Read that Ferrari keeps each version of DOS and Windows on separate computers so that they can continue to service vehicles built in those eras.

Last edited:
We all do this. I have an XP Pro machine I keep off-line with my music library becasue it also houses my GIS software and CAD stuff, none of which I want to replace. The software would cost 10X the price of a new PC with W10, so why would I do that ...

This PC runs W7 so that web sites do not balk at XP generation browsers. But it's essentially a throw away OS if it gets contaminated or hacked over the 'Net ...

My wife uses her iPad more than her W10 laptop, more by far. Windows is becoming increasingly less important in the world ...

I have a rPi project to work on this winter. That will take me even further away from Windows. It's now just for specific tasks in whatever iteration is needed for the task at hand ... An old laptop with W7 is enough to manage many external devices. Just keep one around for that
smile.gif

You're already answered yourself on this but just to share an interesting factoid... Windows 10 appears to be 'free' or at least nagware. In that you can install it on a new PC and although it will gripe about activation and leave up a watermark on the screen, it doesn't seem to deactivate at all. So should you ever need to, if you can add a suitably sized hard drive and install Windows 10 (to not muss up any original files) and preferably with the other hard drives UNPLUGGED until done with the install (so the Windows 10 install doesn't try to take over the boot process) you can use it to access original files and such sort of like a recovery partition.

I just had to do this and the win 10 install is still alive 3 months later still nagging about install. Other people report it seems to work just fine for much longer, none of the 30 day or 45 day stuff used to have.

You can also attempt to upgrade in place and it might fix Windows 7, it might not (but it will permanently upgrade you to 10 whether you want it or not, and if it fails in the process... i'm not quite sure what you do, since even a backup of Windows 7... well i'm not sure what happens to the original activation of it/whether it rechecks online servers and would claim you upgraded to 10 and can't rollback now)

It could be helpful going forward to set up VirtualBox and install Windows as a virtual machine. You'll end up with a "portable" operating system that can run ephemerally wherever and whenever you need Windows for something.

Originally Posted by columnshift
You're already answered yourself on this but just to share an interesting factoid... Windows 10 appears to be 'free' or at least nagware. In that you can install it on a new PC and although it will gripe about activation and leave up a watermark on the screen, it doesn't seem to deactivate at all.
I just had to do this and the win 10 install is still alive 3 months later still nagging about install. Other people report it seems to work just fine for much longer, none of the 30 day or 45 day stuff used to have.

I have 2 installs of unactivated W10 running for way more than a year.

You probably have a boot loader issue. W7 tends to ham-handedly overwrite boot records with a lack of consideration for other OSes.

Might be able to "find" it in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back