Windows 7 Forecast to Squash Vista Quickly, DUH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting for windows 7. I held off this long just so I wouldn't have to run Vista but I really need a new PC within the next 3-6 months. Hopefully I can hold on until Win 7 is out, and in the prefect world wait for Win 7 SP-1.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
On the other hand, there is an internet survey that says six out of ten companies will hold off on Win 7. Who do you believe?

1. I will believe the named survey with data in it that I can read and evaluate for myself over your unnamed survey.
  2. Corporate users still use more XP than Vista.
  3. Higher versions of 7 will run in XP mode eliminating one of the bigger corporate objections to Vista.
  4. Corporate users commonly skip alternate OS releases, Vista was as alternate as anything since ME
    LOL.gif
  5. Pre-Release sales of 7 are selling at a higher rate than unbundled Vista sales ever did. It's the technically astute individual users buying it. That's not the same group as corporate users but has more in common with corporate users than the clueless that buy an OS because it's shiny.

A report like this is usual at every upgrade cycle. Businesses who had NT 4 weren't going to move to Win2000, those on Win2000 weren't going to move to XP, and on & on it goes. This story is no different.

They might declare their choice to skip Win 7 now, but let's face it, MS is going to start moving XP off it's lofty perch in favor of Win 7 as people want to use it, including businesses.

well if windows 7 can run XP programs better than vista I could see the place I work for sometime in the future to start using it. Our ERP software for some stupid reason will only work with 32 bit Windows XP. Kind of puts a hamper on the CAD department who could use the 64 Bit OS

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE56C0NC20090713

I don't believe it either, for all the reasons you mentioned, but apparently the survey group is legit, and a respectable news channel thought it respectable enough to quote.

Perhaps the contradiction is explained by companies planning to migrate eventually, but not in the economic downturn.

You have a good point about the economic downturn.
thumbsup2.gif

Assuming the Reuters article is valid (I have my doubts), if 7 really will run all XP applications and doesn't require the computer upgrades or new computers that Vista does, holdout businesses will lose some of the resistance to 7. That is, if 7 proves itself to be stable and reliable.

In reading TNS' survey it refers only to what corporate customers will be buying (those who actually are), while the one I quoted includes customers who will be doing nothing at all. I suspect that explains the majority of the difference.

Many govt agencies just went to XP over the last year or two. XP, which I've always seen boot very quickly compared to other windows OSs, boots incredibly slow on any govt computer I've run it on thanks to all the other stuff that is installed for security. I pray that someone decides to skip Vista. We went from Win 95 to 2k to XP. But I don't know how widespread that was.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
....... and in the prefect world wait for Win 7 SP-1.

A man with experience I see. Anything "Microsoft", you always wait till "SP1" or later to adopt.

Originally Posted By: punisher

A man with experience I see. Anything "Microsoft", you always wait till "SP1" or later to adopt.

How long until MS catches on and starts calling their initial releases SP1?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650

How long until MS catches on and starts calling their initial releases SP1?
grin2.gif

Well Windows 2008 Server *is* Vista with SP1 (same codebase). When you run Windows 2008 Server's "winver" you get "Windows 2008 SP1".

I've been at this computer game for a long time now. It started out as having to get the biggest, best, fastest, newest, state of the art machine and software. Then after realizing it was a lost battle, I started buying and holding on to the PC software, and the OS. I didn't need the latest and greatest anymore. Now I'm due for a new machine, and have learned from the school of hard knocks. I just hope this machine lasts me just long enough for Win 7 to launch and get the initial bugs out of it.

Quote:

IDC says that Vista will drop completely off the map in 2012, while XP will still account for 15 million units in 2012 and 8.4 million in 2013. Those units will be users who buy Windows 7 and downgrade the OS to XP via rights in their Software Assurance contracts,

That is the scenario where I work. Almost 7,000 desktops, XP still being deployed...

Introducing Windows 7...

1) Takes 7 DVD's to load the bloated software on to your Hard Drive
2) Takes 7 hardware upgrades to get your computer ready for it
3) Takes 7 hours to install
4) Requires 7gb of Ram
5) Takes 7 calls to Microsoft Support to get it running right
6) Takes you 7 minutes to be completely frustrated with it's new features
7) Added 7 new useful features and added about 7 thousand changes for no good reason other than to $!@# you off.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Introducing Windows 7...

1) Takes 7 DVD's to load the bloated software on to your Hard Drive
2) Takes 7 hardware upgrades to get your computer ready for it
3) Takes 7 hours to install
4) Requires 7gb of Ram
5) Takes 7 calls to Microsoft Support to get it running right
6) Takes you 7 minutes to be completely frustrated with it's new features
7) Added 7 new useful features and added about 7 thousand changes for no good reason other than to $!@# you off.

lol
takes 1 DVD
only hardware update on my 5 yr old machine was the ethernet card
complete installation was quicker than XP
uses same ram as XP just fine (1.5GB)
runs just fine..

I've been running Windows 7 RC for about a month now on my computer. It's a older E-machine w3118 with a 1.8 GHz cpu and 768 mb of ram. It runs flawlessly, Not one single issue. So as long as it's not changed much from what it is now I'll be in line for a copy when it's released.

The same minor problems I have with Vista exist with my installs of "7". I'll stick with Vista on my laptops since they more or less run perfectly.

The issues I have with Vista/7 are drivers that don't load or update. With safe mode, I could get Vista to load them. With 7 rc, no luck what so ever.

I never found Vista to be a complete bloated pig. I find that the pc manufacturers are the ones to blame with their unnecessary junk added to every OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back