Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears from the article Windows 8 might as well be called Vista 2. Companies, including the one I work for, aren't touching it, forcing MS to quickly regroup and release a palatable product. Thats a good sign.

A continuing bad sign (from a brand perspective) is a large group of people developing schemes to avoid having to upgrade until the last possible moment.

Imagine wanting to use your 14 yo beater because you could afford, but wanted to avoid, the use of a brand new car....

Last edited:
^ you mean like the hack that fools XP into thinking it's a Point-Of-Sale computer and still upgrading itself?

What happened to Windows 9?
50.gif

I think it's easy to step back and look at Windows 8 and see it was designed for phones and tablets, and they should have spiit off a separate version.

I saw an article about Windows 9, maybe out 2015. Where did 10 come in?

They want to get to Windows X as fast as possible to compete with OSX I guess.

Then charge a yearly fee to use it like AV software, and have an App store.

But, who can ever really know.

I gave up on the POS known as Windows in 2002. Never looked back and never will go back. Nothing good has ever come from Microsoft.

I recently tried to help my daughter with her Win8 non-touch laptop. All we were trying to do was to upgrade to 8.1

The installation stalled at 64% in the afternoon and stayed there overnight. Eventually it returned this error: "Something happened and the installation was unable to continue. Error ".

"Something happened"? What kind of kindergarten silliness is that? Does Microsoft think their users are children?

Anyway, I killed the install and attempted to restart. Daughter was at work and her phone was off, so I could not ask her how to do that. And I decided that something as simple as restarting the computer ought to be pretty easy, so I didn't go to my own Win7 machine to Google it.

I could not figure out how to do a shutdown or restart. Then I remembered that daughter had shown me how to get the Search, by sliding the mouse cursor to the upper-right corner of the screen.

I searched for "restart". Search told me "No apps match your search".

Then I tried searching for "shutdown". Search told me "No apps match your search".

What? Does Search ONLY search for programs? Win7's Search at least returns results from Control Panel, so you do have some kind of starting point. In retrospect, I should have used "Help", but I couldn't figure out where that was, and didn't think of Searching for Help.

Pushing the Power button simply sent the machine to sleep. I ended up pulling the battery. We gave up. Laptop is still running Win8.

And don't even get me started on getting our printer installed on her machine. I managed that, but only by thinking sideways. All our Win7 machines found the printer instantly, but the Win8 laptop stubbornly refused to see it until I did my "sideways" stuff.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Win8 is the least-intuitive OS I've used since DOS6. MS had it right with Win XP, and Win7 isn't bad. But Win8? Dumb dumb dumb dumb.

They had it right with XP ... my college finally just ditched XP since they are no longer updating/supporting it, but the computers at my work are still running it.
I have Windows 8 on my personal computer, and it is definitely more set up for tablet use...I miss the start menu
frown.gif
lol

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
They had it right with XP ... my college finally just ditched XP since they are no longer updating/supporting it, but the computers at my work are still running it.
I have Windows 8 on my personal computer, and it is definitely more set up for tablet use...I miss the start menu
frown.gif
lol

Download "Classic Shell"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Tegger
I recently tried to help my daughter with her Win8 non-touch laptop. All we were trying to do was to upgrade to 8.1

The installation stalled at 64% in the afternoon and stayed there overnight. Eventually it returned this error: "Something happened and the installation was unable to continue. Error ".

"Something happened"? What kind of kindergarten silliness is that? Does Microsoft think their users are children?

Anyway, I killed the install and attempted to restart. Daughter was at work and her phone was off, so I could not ask her how to do that. And I decided that something as simple as restarting the computer ought to be pretty easy, so I didn't go to my own Win7 machine to Google it.

I could not figure out how to do a shutdown or restart. Then I remembered that daughter had shown me how to get the Search, by sliding the mouse cursor to the upper-right corner of the screen.

I searched for "restart". Search told me "No apps match your search".

Then I tried searching for "shutdown". Search told me "No apps match your search".

What? Does Search ONLY search for programs? Win7's Search at least returns results from Control Panel, so you do have some kind of starting point. In retrospect, I should have used "Help", but I couldn't figure out where that was, and didn't think of Searching for Help.

Pushing the Power button simply sent the machine to sleep. I ended up pulling the battery. We gave up. Laptop is still running Win8.

And don't even get me started on getting our printer installed on her machine. I managed that, but only by thinking sideways. All our Win7 machines found the printer instantly, but the Win8 laptop stubbornly refused to see it until I did my "sideways" stuff.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Win8 is the least-intuitive OS I've used since DOS6. MS had it right with Win XP, and Win7 isn't bad. But Win8? Dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Not a fan, either, but restarting isn't rocket surgery...

Let me Google that for you!

It's do or die time at Microsoft...

Other OS's are becoming popular, Chrome, Mac, Android, etc...

If the next OS from Microsoft is a dud, get ready for major players to start switching operating systems...

I'm no fan boy of any high tech device, but I switched over to Apple about three years ago and I'm still amazed at the totally reliable, absolutely trouble free nature of my Mac Mini.

I was a systems engineer for 28 years at Hewlett Packard, working on their mission critical mainframe systems (Tandem computers to those who may know about these systems). All of us were "gray beards" and had complete contempt for the Windows based "toy computers".

The Tandem NonStop computers could not be infected with a virus. The NonStop operating system made it impossible. The only way a malicious act could be done on a NonStop system was if a defined user purposely did damage, and even then there were many, many safeguards to prevent such an act.

With Windows, you can do anything you want so long as it's not explicitly prohibited. On the NonStop systems you can't do anything unless you are explicitly permitted.

Though the Mac is nowhere near as secure and robust as the NonStop systems, at least it shares a similar philosophy.

Scott

I will be downloading as soon as its available, secondary hard drive for beta testing is ready lol.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Did we miss Windows 9?

Microsoft said there was a reason why they skipped 9 and went to 10, they said we will find out why soon.

Im assuming they meant it will have tons more features etc etc.

Originally Posted By: datech
I think it's easy to step back and look at Windows 8 and see it was designed for phones and tablets, and they should have spiit off a separate version.

Yup. This has been the issue since day 1. I have 8 on my laptop.

Upgrading to 8.1 and disabling a lot of the swipe commands helps, but there are some swipe commands you can't disable.

Windows 8 has been quick and stable for me, but they seriously botched it by launching a version of Windows for tablets and forcing PC and laptop users to use it.

As long as they do the updates VIA WINDOWS UPDATE and not try to push the update through the Store. That whole thing was a total disaster.

Not to mention if you used a 8.1 ISO and you only had a copy of Windows 8 you had to use a generic key to install it and then activate using your key after install.

If they can fix those big mistakes, That would make me happy. And them using the same core but different UI features base don what device you are on, should have been done in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back