Windows 10, Version 20H2

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I have this update sitting in my Windows Updates. Looks like it's the user's option to install or not (ie, it's not installing automatically like most updates). From what I'm seeing this looks like an update on top of version 2004 (which I'm running).

Anyone here have the 20H2 update installed? Wondering if there any issues seen with this update, and what's the update change or improve?

Windows 10, 20H2 Update.JPG

I installed it, it downloaded a driver for an HP printer, and turned my machine into a brick for a few hours. I take the blame for falling asleep at the wheel. I ended up doing a fresh install, I took care of the drivers and made sure Win 10 wasn't going to mess with drivers ever again.

Well after a few days after the fresh install I still get several warnings in the Event Viewer for ESENT 642. As far as I can tell there's no fix, and to ignore them. Being a bit OCD it pisses me off to be honest. I had some DCOM config errors as well, I was able to resolve those. If I didn't need to have Windows in just 1 computer I'd be done with it, and have all of them running Linux. Rant off.

Well after a few days after the fresh install I still get several warnings in the Event Viewer for ESENT 642. As far as I can tell there's no fix, and to ignore them. Being a bit OCD it pisses me off to be honest. I had some DCOM config errors as well, I was able to resolve those. If I didn't need to have Windows in just 1 computer I'd be done with it, and have all of them running Linux. Rant off.
If you're having issues like that with a fresh installation of Windows 10, then it's not Windows 10, it's something else like your install media or your hardware.

If you're having issues like that with a fresh installation of Windows 10, then it's not Windows 10, it's something else like your install media or your hardware.
My reading tells me it's a known bug with Windows 10. The machine is working fine, it just annoys me. I'm trying to figure out how to get it so it doesn't show in the Event viewer, then it won't bother me anymore. A few friends are having the same issue, with different hardware from different mfgs. so I doubt it has anything to do with my computer.

Which games and why not?
The one I care about that was my big time waster was Command and Conquer: Generals. I will click on it and I get the prompt abotu it making changes to my hard drive, then nothing. I tried the work arounds online to no avail. In Windows 7 I think I had it running in compatibility mode to get it to work.

My reading tells me it's a known bug with Windows 10. The machine is working fine, it just annoys me. I'm trying to figure out how to get it so it doesn't show in the Event viewer, then it won't bother me anymore. A few friends are having the same issue, with different hardware from different mfgs. so I doubt it has anything to do with my computer.
How old is your hardware?

How old is your hardware?
1 year old this month. Other friends with the same issue have newer machines than me. Searching the web showed me I'm one of many with the same complaint. Most say to ignore the issue. Being a bit OCD makes that difficult for me. lol

Last edited:
Back