Window vs Wall Mount Air Conditioner

FIL wants to replace an existing "thru-the-wall" A/C unit. The unit is currently located in a standard-sized bedroom.

We were originally considering a window-mount unit from Midea, but it was brought to my attention that window-mounted a/c units are different than wall-mounted a/c units. It seems like the primary difference is the avenue of drainage.

I have been reading that it is possible to use a window-mount unit in a wall-mount application. I am curious if this is possible since the window-mount units seem to use newer technology and are generally less expensive.

Options we were considering:

Window-mount: https://www.amazon.com/Midea-Inverter-Conditioner-Flexibility-Installation/dp/B08677DCKN?th=1
Wall-mount: https://www.appliancesconnection.com/frigidaire-fhtc083wa1.html

Thanks in advance.

I would stay with the same. That way you don’t have a hole to seal up. Midea makes those types of air conditioners as well.

I don’t understand the drainage question. Both will have to drain water outside somewhere.

If you can find one that has a inverter that’s even better. Cheaper to run.

I also vote wall mount, there is no good reason to do something likely to create new issues that will take additional time and money to solve.

It'd be best to just keep the wall mounted configuration so you don't have to patch a wall. I have wall mounted window ac's in one of my homes. Last thing i'd do is switch when I'm not forced to.

Through the wall vents at the back..
window vents 360degrees which doesnt work well in a wall sleeve.

also why through the wall are considerably less efficient.

If you are mounting in a window I highly recommend that midea/danby U shaped A/C you linked
however that is really bad in a wall sleeve.

a wall sleeve just pay once and cry once.

Some high quality units like Friedrich can be used with a sleeve or in a window.

We switched to this brand in all of our smaller buildings that use wall sleeve units or have a window and in about 8-10yrs we've only had one fail.

I've got a whirpool window unit built through the wall in our bedroom. It's worked well the 11yrs we've lived in the house and it's got to be a good 16+ yrs old. I'm dreading when it fails. The outside portion is shielded from the weather which may help.

If one was very handy with a tiny bit of engineering skill set (and tools), it does not seem like it would be too difficult to mount that Midea window unit in a wall IF the opening is big enough. You just need to add a flat panel in the wall opening as a faux window (reverse engineer), enough towards the outside so that the compressor portion sits outside. I do this kind of stuff all the time in my job.

But if plug and play is the priority, then I agree to stick with the wall unit.

Here's a small unit I installed recently in our workshop awning window (6 inch walls):
air conditioner.jpg

Last edited:
FIL wants to replace an existing "thru-the-wall" A/C unit. The unit is currently located in a standard-sized bedroom.

We were originally considering a window-mount unit from Midea, but it was brought to my attention that window-mounted a/c units are different than wall-mounted a/c units. It seems like the primary difference is the avenue of drainage.

I have been reading that it is possible to use a window-mount unit in a wall-mount application. I am curious if this is possible since the window-mount units seem to use newer technology and are generally less expensive.

Options we were considering:

Window-mount: https://www.amazon.com/Midea-Inverter-Conditioner-Flexibility-Installation/dp/B08677DCKN?th=1
Wall-mount: https://www.appliancesconnection.com/frigidaire-fhtc083wa1.html

Thanks in advance.
This.

This.

I have several split units but other brands. They work very well and are quiet. I wonder if a floor model would be able to use the existing hole?

Daikin has a model. (Australia site)

I have several split units but other brands. They work very well and are quiet. I wonder if a floor model would be able to use the existing hole?

Daikin has a model. (Australia site)

Daikin makes some of the BEST HVAC components in the world.

Stick with a similar unit with the same dimensions. There will be less headaches when it comes to installation.
Existing wall unit is 18x12; not sure of the depth.

The Frigidaire “thru the wall” in the OP is already 24”x14.5” so the size is already going to be an issue, even though both are wall units.

When I looked into this, I found that the only standard size for a thru-wall air conditioner is for the PTAC ones commonly used in motels and hotels.

There seems to be no standard size for smaller thru-wall units, which means replacing one when it fails could be difficult.

The solution for a friend of mine who had a thru-wall unit was to replace it with a mini-split, which had the advantage of also being a heat pump so he could use it for heating in the winter.

I replaced a few in condos. was fairly easy to find one that matched the sleeve..

Existing wall unit is 18x12; not sure of the depth.

The Frigidaire “thru the wall” in the OP is already 24”x14.5” so the size is already going to be an issue, even though both are wall units.
Grabbed the last one before it went on b/o:

Spec sheet says it is 18 5/8 x 13 1/2, which is the closest we will get to the existing unit. It arrives Wed, so we'll see how this turns out.

Pics would be helpful.

Around here lots of old buildings had wall type units for years. They’ve been changed out and often another unit slid into the original enclosure.

1656981000700.jpeg

Went with a Friedrich CCW08B10B from zoro. $425. This was the only model that was closest in size to the old unit and also allowed for window OR wall mounting.

No complaints from the in-law’s. Even as wifi controls as well.

Both window and ptac units use a slinger ( outer ring that is mounted on the outside of the fan blade that picks up condensate flinges it on the condenser coil) when the condensate pan fills up then both units will drip excess water.

Back