Window Tint - cut above bottom seal

I slapped some precut tint on my daughter's vehicle yesterday evening. She's leaving this weekend for college.

I haven't done tint in... 25 years? It was hot, I was tired and this is not the job to do in that scenario but I'm under a time crunch.

Anyway, one window is trimmed above the bottom door seal. I did not have it all the way up and that's what happened.

Do I need to put a thin coat of something over it, to keep it from peeling up? Like some sort of clear sealant?

I mean, I've never seen anyone seal the TOP so I figure it's ok? Or not?

You can probably throw some clear tape over the edge, but that’s going to require you to pull the door panel so you can get past the seal.

I would just run with it as is. Let the adhesive set for a week or two in the sun before the window is opened.

It will probably be ok for a bit. But the constant up/down will peel it off in time. Redo it when you can, but it may last 2 cycles or 1000...
If that's the case, the top edges on any tint film job would not last, I think the OP should be fine, according to his assessment.

But, pre-cut tint is always a risk, if the program doesn't have the correct parameters for the car, whether you DIY or a tint shop that uses a plotter to cut film to enhance productivity

If that's the case, the top edges on any tint film job would not last, I think the OP should be fine, according to his assessment.

But, pre-cut tint is always a risk, if the program doesn't have the correct parameters for the car, whether you DIY or a tint shop that uses a plotter to cut film to enhance productivity
The top edge is going smooth with the angle of the belt trim, so will not be subject to it coming down on the edge of the trim /| every time the window is lowered like if there is a gap at the bottom ...

Let it be, and spend the time keeping your heart rate down and your head on straight. Spend time with your daughter while you can. Ask me how I know.

The top edge is going smooth with the angle of the belt trim, so will not be subject to it coming down on the edge of the trim /| every time the window is lowered like if there is a gap at the bottom ...
you still have friction from the glass/tint and the rubber seal which with a weak adhesive can start to peel it off

Back