Will we lose the right to service ours cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what most owners do regarding maintenance issues, I highly doubt any problem. You are right, it centers around ECM and electronics issues. Most end users don't mess with that unless they are doing custom tunes, and those already are frowned on and sometime warranties voided. Normal wrench turning, I really doubt they are going to stop, or be able to stop, anyone from doing it. Vehicles may be more software controlled, but the components that actually are accomplishing stuff is the same. This has been around the forums for a while and beaten to death. The sky is not falling.

First I've come accross this and I was unaware it had been discussed before.

Not trying to say the sky is falling but I do find it disturbing that protection to the consumer is by exemption only. And those have to be renewed every three years. The law was written to benefit the business, not the consumer. What happens when an exemption isn't given?

Ridiculous question

No.

That's like all these people who think Obama is just going to take away their guns. Stupidest people around.

Really? When did he take away your gun? Did he just walk by and knock on the door and take it.

As long as the idiot voters keep the same politicians in office sooner than we think.

I think if one can't figure out how to remove the plastic cover on the top of most engines nowadays they probably should just not bother working on it in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Ridiculous question

No.

That's like all these people who think Obama is just going to take away their guns. Stupidest people around.

Really? When did he take away your gun? Did he just walk by and knock on the door and take it.
Don't you pay attention the what Obama says?

This exemption does help owners of older and "classic" cars that are 25+ years old. The computers on those newer "classic" cars are very likely not supported by the manufacturer anymore, or by any dealers. So reverse-engineering by enthusiasts keeping their 1990 or older whatever on the road is going to become increasingly common and necessary.

Last edited:
If it ever happens, I'll go right back to the 1967-1974 muscle cars that I worked on years ago. No computers and minimal electronics other than a voltage regulator for the charging system. And you can actually work on your engine bay without taking half the engine bay apart. In some respects it would be fun. There's really nothing electrical on those cars you couldn't fix yourself with minimal research.

Between the government regulations on one end we are losing the rights. On the manufacturers end, it is becoming increasingly complicated to do such simple maintenance as doing a transmission fluid change or just checking some fluids now we don't get the luxury of dipsticks on some cars.

Why must doing a transmission top off be a rube goldberg sort of process? So we have to take it to the "pros" more and more.

People said the same thing when fuel injection came out. Look at all that fancy computer stuff! Engines with single injector TBI systems. LOL

If they are going to make it illegal to work on your own car they are going to need to make it so you have to have a license to work on them. I wonder how many mechanics would fail.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Even the pros have it harder these days but proper training is truly the key to getting the job done right...

Some of them are clueless too. Just go ask around at Toyota dealerships how to do a ATF fluid service on the newer transmissions. I have heard three different procedures.

I see no reason why makers are using sealed transmissions and no way to check fluids other than they want to have you bring it in to be worked on, and possibly, and I may be a cynic here, that they want you to have to replace the car sooner.

Ridiculous question

No.

ya crazy huh.
Just like he hasn't taken my healthcare away after explicitly promising not to. You're enlightened abd everybody else is stupid. Like nobody has the right to be suspicious after his words and actions, just a bunch of paranoid bible belt hicks.

Ridiculous question

No.

Unfortunately this has become the norm for our college students. Believe in the [censored] spewed by Hollywood and the liberal left.

There's something to this, like "cracking" the VIN-tieing of a junkyard computer or module to get it to work. It should never have been tied in the first place, but that's another story.

Or removing the security key chip from your GM car so it will start on your terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back