Will trace amount of coolant at bottom of pan evap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 7.3 powerstroke that I changed the oil cooler on. I some coolant in the oil pan in the process. I have a fumoto valve and drained the pan and out came red ELC. I then put a 1/2 quart of fresh rotella in and opened the drain. All that came out was oil. Could I still have a small amount of coolant at the bottom of the pan and will that small amount cause a problem? Will it burn off? Do I need to send my fresh oil off for a sample?

It would be much easier to send in a sample. I have about 15 quarts of fresh Rotella T6 with 40 miles on it. I also have a oilguard bypass filter on top of the regular spin on filter. I'd hate to waste all of that. I did drain all the water out and then flushed with 1/2 a quart and let it sit over night and drain again. The engine never ran with the coolant in it. It got contaminated while doing the oil cooler repair. I am sort of paranoid and there MIGHT be a scant amount in there if the fumoto did not let it all drain out. That is why I am wondering if it will burn off. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Coolant is real bad on bearings. Id error on the safe side and change it.

+1

The truck has been sitting a couple of days, so I will drain of the bottom again with the fumoto valve in place and then get the oil good and hot and take a sample and send it in. The $20 sample will be worth the peace of mind. Plus I'd have to dump 2 filters and 15 quarts of rotella synthetic and if it wasn't for the fact that someone mentioned that the fumoto might leave some of the coolant in there, I'd be very confident it was out.

You have a Fumoto; one of the best tools for easy drains and super-simple sampling. Use it!

I'd say take it for a long drive, evaporate off what you can, then get a sample and see where it stands.

Yep, love the fumoto and have several UOA to compare to. But, my truck forum scared me and suggested that the fumoto may allow some of coolant to settle to the bottom. But, I did drain it a few times already, with a night in between, before I filled it with fresh rotella. Do you think the fumoto would leave some coolant in the bottom? I am going to get it hot and take a sample. Thanks.

Last edited:
Next time you do any engine work where oil and coolant meet, use the the cheapest Supertech oil you can find, and then dump it after a short period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back