Will this car last me a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've posted before about our 2000 Corolla.

Anyways,

It's my girlfriends car and she just bought a 2003 Corolla w/ 25K miles for a stellar deal.

So, I have an opportunity to buy the car from her, for 2200. It has 154K miles and I know the service history well. It burns oil(a qt every 1500) and it has had a ping issue for a while.

The car runs good and the tranny shifts perfectly fine. Basically, aside from the ping, the car has no issues, no knocks, etc.

In order for this to happen, I would have to sell my 2001 Ford Crown Vic.

In your opinions, is the car worth it and do you think it will last at least a couple of years?

Thanks in advance.

I would stay with the CV; I always regret selling my land barge for a buzz box.

I figure the corolla will last, OTOH.

Last edited:
So to make it clear;
You are buying your GF's old car, the one with 154k, for $2200.

Strange that the car burns oil?
How was it used?
I think I would want to do a combustion chamber soak.

It depends on whether you like a CV or a corolla more. If you are a big car guy, then stay with the CV. If you are a small car guy, sell the CV and buy the corolla. Both should last you a while and easy to work on, no serious issue, etc.

usually 154k on a corolla is nothing, and $2200 is a reasonable price and won't go much lower if it is in good condition.

What's your goal in switching cars? Saving money on a long commute?
I doubt the corolla is cheaper to insure but it should cost a bit less to maintain and fill up. Is that worth switching for?

Marry her and you won't have (or shouldn't have) to "buy" the car.

Make sure you really like that Corolla. As others have said, its quite the culture shock going from a land yacht to a dingy.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

That's the most expensive option ever.

Thanks for the replies.

I like the CV better. It's in good shape for the most part, it needs tires, some front end work, and eventually I'll have to replace the [censored] composite intake manifold. About 7-800 worth of repairs needed soon. I don't have the know how to do the manifold which is I believe around a 700.00 fix. Other than that I like the looks, power, etc.

I'm considering this because of fuel reasons(drive 300 miles/week) and it would help out my girlfriend to pay her "new" car down.

Yes, the cars are very different to drive. I drive both cars a lot. The Corolla is a gutless wonder but a good little car. The crown vic has alot more power, but the weekly fuel bill is pretty high for me right now.

BTW, the car burning oil is common on this generation Corolla.

I think you could guess my opinion.

Doing the manifold looks like cake to me. But I just in a manifold on FWD V6 Van so maybe my opinion is a little warped. Oddball yours has a composite although not unheard of. They changed to aluminium crossover for '01 but some really early ones seem to have used up the remaining composite intakes.

Sounds like you would save ~$60-80/month on gas with the switch now, maybe more in the future. Personally I don't like having two of the same type of car at once, but if you both commute a ways then you could do alot worse than 2 corollas.

I would hang on to the CV. I just prefer a big comfy V8 to a little corolla. I think my ultimate decision would be on my daily commute though. I drove an '03 Corolla for a long while. Even being a 5-speed it was a terribly boring car but I never filled that thing up.

I would keep the CV but if I was traveling 50+ miles a day for work I would have to go for the fuel efficient Toyota.

I would keep the CV. I understand the money issue, but some things you just have to sacrifice for. In the least, driving that far you want to be comfortable. This coming from someone who drives 150 miles a day round trip to work and home and opted a year and a half ago to replace an F-150 with a Sentra.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: tpitcher

That's the most expensive option ever.

BEST POSTS EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back