Will this car last me a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your annual costs for keeping it (insurance, tags, parking)? If only a few hundred $$$ you could keep the 3rd car and, for example, teach yourself to fix the vic IM over a period of weeks, no pressure, while driving the spare car to work and for parts.

Conversely if you drive the corolla 90% of the time, the vic would be great for ice cream cruise ins and the drive in movies.

Remember you aren't the only one looking for a reliable used car. The corolla should sell in 24 hours at the price you give. Start higher than you think and let them bargain you down.

Before you make the decision, try to check how easy it is to sell the crown vic in your area. I know it is very easy to sell a good condition corolla, but I think at least here in the SF bay area it is very hard to sell a crown vic even with good condition.

Does your state charge sales tax on used car sales / transfer? California does and I would stay away from switching cars between owners and trickling down. In the end you lose out more to tax than is worth.

Corolla is actually expensive to insure because the people who drive it tends not to be the best driver (i.e. my mom who dent every single panel within 3 months).

Composite intake on a RWD V8 is pretty easy, compare to a FWD V6 or V8. Heck, it is probably even easier than a FWD 4 banger. Go to Autozone and check out how to do it while you "borrow" your gf's corolla for the week, so in case you need more time you have a car to drive around.

So in the end you may be forced to keep the crown vic if you are helping your gf out and not able to sell the crown vic.

Have you consider posting a for sale and see whichever not get sold will be kept?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Have you consider posting a for sale and see whichever not get sold will be kept?

That's exactly what I did, got a few for the Corolla, but surprisingly a TON of calls for the Crown Vic.

As for insurance, exactly the same. Fuel savings would be about 800.00 a year.

I do understand what everyone's saying about the comfort, etc. of the Crown Vic. I wish we could keep both, but keeping the Corolla isn't an option for my gf.

Looks like I have some thinking to do, thanks for the replies.

Mike, it might be a good idea too think about which car is going to cost more to maintain in the future, it sounds like the Crown-Vic may need some work.

$800.00 a year in fuel savings can really add up over the years.

Originally Posted By: c3po
Mike, it might be a good idea too think about which car is going to cost more to maintain in the future, it sounds like the Crown-Vic may need some work.

$800.00 a year in fuel savings can really add up over the years.

That's really why I'm considering this, if the economy wasn't so bad, I probably wouldn't even think about it.

Mike, I have a hunch that down the line the Crown-Vic may need some other work depending on how the previous owner took care of the car, at least with the Corolla you know how your girlfriend has been driving it and you have invested some time and energy with this car.

I think you will have less headaches and more money in your pocket in the future with the Corolla.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Marry her and you won't have (or shouldn't have) to "buy" the car.

That's the most expensive option ever.

BEST POSTS EVER!

Thankyouverymuch.
grin2.gif

I of course knew that answer before I posted my response.

Dare I say, if she truly loved you... naw, nevermind.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
I could never imagine giving up a Crown Vic for a Corolla, especially if your car is mechanically sound.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back