Will the bank file a police report or an I responsible?

I bring this up every time debit cards are mentioned. My credit union has the same protections for a debit card as they do for credit cards.

"For instance, every XXXFCU Visa Credit and Debit Card comes with Visa’s $0 Fraud Liability. This means that if your card or card information is stolen or lost, you won’t be liable for any fraud on the card. XXXFCU also has Visa’s Fraud Alert Management. You can verify the charges right over the phone, text, or email; or block your card if the charges are fraudulent."

Had that happen to me a couple of years ago, just let the bank deal with it. They reimbursed me my money and gave me a new card. ;)

Honestly I wouldn’t care. I would just have the bank deal with it and restore the money to your account.
I can’t see any situation where a bank or police agency would care to bother.
Certainly the bank isn’t going to care. Not worth the time.
I would just make sure they restore the money to your account and be done with it.

This is just another reason not to use or carry a debit card and only use credit cards.
Either way you’ll get your money but with a credit card it’s so much easier, You’re not responsible for anything and you don’t have to prove anything.
Just let a soccer mom roll through a stop sign in her minivan on her way to work! The POLICE are “bothered” then.

Last edited:
Will the police do anything?
Depends on the department. A small department in a less populated state may very well work the case. Chicago, for all its many faults, has a section dedicated in its police department just for credit card (and like) fraud crimes.

I would file a police report. Will take some time, but it will provide you a record of the incident, and a time stamp that may be beneficial if this incident escalates for unknown reasons.

I bring this up every time debit cards are mentioned. My credit union has the same protections for a debit card as they do for credit cards.

"For instance, every XXXFCU Visa Credit and Debit Card comes with Visa’s $0 Fraud Liability. This means that if your card or card information is stolen or lost, you won’t be liable for any fraud on the card. XXXFCU also has Visa’s Fraud Alert Management. You can verify the charges right over the phone, text, or email; or block your card if the charges are fraudulent."
Our accounts are at Navy Federal FCU. My Wife's debit card was compromised after visiting a Starbucks in Charleston, SC.

The procedure to dispute a fraudulent debit card transaction with Navy Federal CU is much different than a credit card transaction. It took Navy weeks to credit my Wife's account. And it seemed like it was at the discretion of Navy Federal.

My Wife no longer uses he debit card, only credit card after that incident. She maintains a decent checking account balance, and a unused line of credit on the checking account balance, the exposure to debit card fraud was in the mid five figures. Lesson learned, don't use that debit card if you have something to lose.

The credit union we use is the same. I guess those old wive's tales about debit cards will never go away....

File a police report even though it wont do much.

Hopefully the arrest the person.

The problem is DAs. The police arrest them. The DAs let them go free. Look up Chesa Boudin, the San Francisco DA. There are hundreds just like him.

Scott
But that's not a reason to not bother, instead a reason to escalate so the perceived need to do something increases.

For the "hundreds just like him" there are at least hundreds who are found guilty of similar.

This is an outlier example, most DAs do not drop charges if there is sufficient evidence.

The credit union we use is the same. I guess those old wive's tales about debit cards will never go away....

I look at it this way: Sure, under both scenarios (Debit or Credit), my liability is zero and I won't be liable for fraudulent activity. However, here is the difference in my eyes:

Credit: A fraudulent charge/transaction is made. I'm not out a dime at any point - because they still haven't sent me a bill to pay for the charges for the month...

Debit: A fraudulent charge/transaction is made. The money is taken out of my linked bank account as soon as the transaction is processed. Then I notice it or it gets flagged, reported, and then the bank controls the process to determine when they put the money back into my account. This many not be immediate (as others have noted above).

It doesn't matter if it has some Visa guarantee, etc on a debit card... that money is out of my pocket and its on the banks process to determine when I get it back. I'd rather I just was never out of the money in my bank account to begin with.

Even if the cops do nothing, it might be worthwhile to file a report so you have a record in case this escalates to something like identity theft. It's not clear how the person got your information, but the circumstances seem a little different than the usual card fraud. My CC company has never told me where/how the card was compromised, even when I asked.

Reactions: GON
@3800Fan let us know what happens, I'm guessing you bank will take care of it, for anyone going to jail, I doubt it.

Just let a soccer mom roll through a stop sign in her minivan on her way to work! The POLICE are “bothered” then.
Getting in the habit of rolling through stop signs is not good and she should be ticketed, just my opinion though.

@3800Fan let us know what happens, I'm guessing you bank will take care of it, for anyone going to jail, I doubt it.

Getting in the habit of rolling through stop signs is not good and she should be ticketed, just my opinion though.
Yep. They're forcing the account be to be shutdown and I have to take the all funds and open a new one. They claim they'll take care of everything.

Even if the cops do nothing, it might be worthwhile to file a report so you have a record in case this escalates to something like identity theft. It's not clear how the person got your information, but the circumstances seem a little different than the usual card fraud. My CC company has never told me where/how the card was compromised, even when I asked.
The CC company never knows how anyone's CC number gets compromised. How could they if the CC owner/user doesn't know. On-line hackers get CC numbers all the time, and nobody can tell who did it.

Only time they might find out is in a case like this one where the person using the number got caught. He might not even be the one who hacked it, but bought the hacked CC number and info on the dark web by someone else who hacked it.

If places that take CCs would use PINs or 2 level verifucation on purchases this fraud would be cut way down. I asked my CC company why they don't incorporate more CC security, and they told me because people using the CCs ***** about how it's a "hassle" to them if they have to do a PIN or 2 level verification - crazy.

Last edited:
The CC company never knows how anyone's CC number gets compromised. How could they if the CC owner/user doesn't know. On-line hackers get CC numbers all the time, and nobody can tell who did it.

Only time they might find out is in a case like this one where the person using the number got caught. He might not even be the one who hacked it, but bought the hacked CC number and info on the dark web by someone else who hacked it.

If places that take CCs would use PINs or 2 level verifucation on purchases this fraud would be cut way down. I asked my CC company why they don't incorporate more CC security, and they told me because people using the CCs ***** about how it's a "hassle" to them if they have to do a PIN or 2 level verification - crazy.
I was thinking about a time the bank contacted me to say the card had been compromised and they were sending a new one. I called or e-mailed to ask what company had been hacked, thinking I would avoid using the new card number there. The reply was something like "We don't give out that information."

More recently, they did ask me if I had made some fraudulent purchases, like one at a restaurant in Poland.

Back