Will the bank file a police report or an I responsible?

I was thinking about a time the bank contacted me to say the card had been compromised and they were sending a new one. I called or e-mailed to ask what company had been hacked, thinking I would avoid using the new card number there. The reply was something like "We don't give out that information."
They don't give out info like that because they really don't know. How would they or anyone else know how a CC was hacked, unless they directly asked the caught hacker.

My CC has been hacked 3 times in the last 5 years, and nobody including my CC company knows, I asked them. All they try to do is recover the fraudulent charges from the places the thief used the CC to charge stuff.

I use my Debit card all the time. for 20+years now. (Granted, 90% of my purchases are from the same retailer - I work there)
I've been Compromised exactly 1 time. PNC caught it well before I could. (Right when EMV Chip cards were coming out in the US)
Called me @ 8am. my card number was used at a restaurant I've never heard of, in a town I've never been to.
once they verified that, cancelled that card, and sent me a new one.

Since 2017 I've used my same Debit, but through Google pay. I buy everything with my phone. no issues ever.

it gets kind of infuriating when go some where that DOESN'T take contact less payments. like summer 2018, en route to Ft.Sill, OK stop at various walmarts along the way, the only contactless they took was their own "walmart pay"

no...not installing an app for payments for one retailer who i rarely visit.

I felt like an exasperated teenager again - " you mean i have to PHYSICALLY take the card out of my wallet and swipe it? ugh! what is this the 90's?" is an almost exact quote of words that came out of my mouth.

The bank is being informed later today but I'm wondering if they'll file a report on my behalf or if I need to go to the police with the findings?
Since the bank knows who the guy is, why not tell the bank you want to press theft charges on the guy with the police and see if the bank will help you do that.

@3800Fan let us know what happens, I'm guessing you bank will take care of it, for anyone going to jail, I doubt it.

Getting in the habit of rolling through stop signs is not good and she should be ticketed, just my opinion though.
Mixed feelings about this. A long time ago I was in a backed up line of vehicles, at a red light waiting to turn right. There was no traffic coming that direction to avoid. Everyone in line did a rolling stop, so the line proceeded through much faster that way. It would've been backed up over a mile and backing up faster than vehicles could make it through otherwise.

HOWEVER!! I happened to be driving a big van with a big colorful radio station logo on the side. Police pulled me over and I got a ticket even though nobody else did. The worst part was, this was in my wild youth and I had already accumulated enough points on my license that this ticket caused loss of license for six months. I guess I learned my lesson, haven't gotten a signal ticket since, over 25 years later.

If the notification is in your Spam folder, it's not real.

I've had "notifications" about accounts from companies or banks I don't even use.. each one of them wanted me to verify my account number.. the "From" e-mail will look all funky.

Next up: Pay the IRS in Olive Garden gift cards or Western Union to someone in Georgia or South Carolina.

it gets kind of infuriating when go some where that DOESN'T take contact less payments. like summer 2018, en route to Ft.Sill, OK stop at various walmarts along the way, the only contactless they took was their own "walmart pay"

no...not installing an app for payments for one retailer who i rarely visit.

I felt like an exasperated teenager again - " you mean i have to PHYSICALLY take the card out of my wallet and swipe it? ugh! what is this the 90's?" is an almost exact quote of words that came out of my mouth.
I never use debit cards, my credit card pay me 2 to 5% on everything I buy.
Other than that I couldn't agree more. Even though we go to our local Walmart often I hate that they arent up to the times and only able to use their app. I will not install it.
I do get ticked off if I have to reach in my wallet for my card. Not too long ago (2 years) Publix didnt take Apple Pay, annoying. Now they do.
I have since graduated not only do I not take my wallet out anymore, but I dont take my phone out of my pocket either, I pay with my Apple Watch. 🙃
Just last week, a guy waiting in line behind me, half my age no less, was in total amazement when he saw me pay with my watch. He said he "never saw that before"

File the report. A few years ago someone cloned my debit card and used it to buy gift cards at a Walmart I normally don’t frequent (while I was miles away at work). My CU is very good about fraud detection, and alerted my wife to the problem. She was instructed to get in touch with Walmart’s loss prevention people, and turns out the suspect was caught on film. Walmart representative asked my wife to describe my appearance, and it was confirmed to be *not* me. I went through with filing the report and about a month or two later, I was notified that the police nabbed the scammer. Since then, I’ve started using a RFID blocking wallet, with good results.

Back