Will the 2007 Hyundai Elantra be a hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like this next generation Elantra comes standard with many class-leading features, such as ABS, EBD, and 4-wheel Disk Brakes.
shocked.gif

Interestingly, they're reusing the current generation 2.0L I4 and 4-speed Automatic, though they are promising increased fuel efficiency ratings for this new model somehow.
confused.gif
(HP and Torque of that engine is equal to, arguably, if not better than the new Civic)

If price stays the same, meaning that I can get a loaded one for < $15k, I may just get this car next summer.
cool.gif

I'd spend a little more and get a Mazda3.
Unless you prefer a Mitsu engine?

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:

Didn't know that Hyundai was swapping their engines for Mitsus that they haven't used a 7+ years.

quote:

Mazda 3's fuel economy blows. If I was spend $17-$18k, I'd pick-up an 07 Sonata SE V6.

But I heard that the 2.0L engine used in the Elantra isn't as great as it sounds on paper.
dunno.gif

Any comments from current Elantra owners? 97tbird?

40MPG from a 2.0 Mazda3. So, the MPG does not blow. Other than the Accent/Rio, I haven't seen or driven any HyundaKia that would come close.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003504

I also don't see why every car needs to get BIGGER with each generation. If I wanted a bigger car, I would step up to a bigger car.

Extra idiotproofing isn't always needed or wanted. None off my cars have features like ABS, EBD......even though its difficult to find reasonably equipped new vehicles without all those acronyms. And, if the acronyms don't work, you'll have 1/2 airbags deploy to save your ... I guess that Hyundai understands the typical US consumer who can't drive but still logs 15k miles a year.

Also, since I don't care for Hyundai automatics, why doesn't the V6 Sonatas/Tucsons offer a stick shift?

Hyundai's technology comes from Mitsubishi and Mazda(Kia) even though they aren't cloning anymore.

And, I just don't see the cost/benefit of a Hyundai. Load them up with some options and they can get pretty expensive. Also, consider the depreciation/resale if you prefer something new in your driveway every few years.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
Hyundai's technology comes from Mitsubishi and Mazda(Kia)

OK, help me out here. Which Mitsubishi V6 has heads with DOHC and CVVT, as well as a diecast aluminum cylinder block? What's the relationship between Mazda and KIA you implied - especially since Hyundai bought KIA lock, stock, and barrel six years ago?...

agree on the mazda3. Many people see 40MPG with the 3i and both the ATX and MTX. Resale value right now for the mazda3's are insane.

I was looking at the 3s over the 3i, actually, but either way I'd rather not have a Ford 4F27E transmission.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
40MPG from a 2.0 Mazda3. So, the MPG does not blow. Other than the Accent/Rio, I haven't seen or driven any HyundaKia that would come close.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003504

I also don't see why every car needs to get BIGGER with each generation. If I wanted a bigger car, I would step up to a bigger car.

Extra idiotproofing isn't always needed or wanted. None off my cars have features like ABS, EBD......even though its difficult to find reasonably equipped new vehicles without all those acronyms. And, if the acronyms don't work, you'll have 1/2 airbags deploy to save your ... I guess that Hyundai understands the typical US consumer who can't drive but still logs 15k miles a year.

Also, since I don't care for Hyundai automatics, why doesn't the V6 Sonatas/Tucsons offer a stick shift?

Hyundai's technology comes from Mitsubishi and Mazda(Kia) even though they aren't cloning anymore.

And, I just don't see the cost/benefit of a Hyundai. Load them up with some options and they can get pretty expensive. Also, consider the depreciation/resale if you prefer something new in your driveway every few years.

unDummy.. let me unDummy yourself. All of Hyundai's products as well as Kias are Hyundai Technology. There's not cloning, no copying no nothing anymore.

Lots of cars are "hits" on paper. However reality is quite different. The Mazda3 is a great car on paper but in reality it is not pressing dents into Corolla or Civic sales.

Didn't Hyundai, Mitusibishi and DC jointly build the family of 4 cylinder engines going into the Dodge Caliber?

IIRC, DC uses the 2.0L and 2.4L variants here, and I believe there are 1.8L variants outside of North America.

If these guys have it right, and I believe I've read it elsewhere, read it for yourself:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
I was looking at the 3s over the 3i, actually, but either way I'd rather not have a Ford 4F27E transmission.

So you weren't looking at an MTX? The MTX trannies are not Ford trannies from what I have seen.

quote:

Originally posted by badtlc:

quote:

So you weren't looking at an MTX? The MTX trannies are not Ford trannies from what I have seen.

Not buying MT, period. Won't ever either given the great automatics available today.

Beginning to think that I should just spend the extra $3k for the Civic as it's probably worth it in the long run...

"I also don't see why every car needs to get BIGGER with each generation. If I wanted a bigger car, I would step up to a bigger car."

Maybe it's because of our expanding girth.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:

quote:

Originally posted by HappyHyundai:
All of Hyundai's products as well as Kias are Hyundai Technology. There's not cloning, no copying no nothing anymore.

Does that remind you of something?
 -

lol.gif

Tell me something Quattro Pete. What else besides the round headlights, look like any other car? Mercedes Benz and Jaguar have similiar headlights, but nobody said anything about that.. do you know why? Because Kia is Korean and people are so biased against Korean cars.

Hey, since you probably own a German car.. I'll be biased against German cars.. did you know that Audi and Hitler worked together?

quote:

quote:

Mazda 3's fuel economy blows. If I was spend $17-$18k, I'd pick-up an 07 Sonata SE V6.

But I heard that the 2.0L engine used in the Elantra isn't as great as it sounds on paper.
dunno.gif

Any comments from current Elantra owners? 97tbird?

That's not what my Excel sheet tells me. Over the life of my '05 Mazda3 SP23 (special edition) 5-door, 5spd. I'm averaging 30MPG. The lowest I've ever gotten is 26mpg and the highest is 44mpg.

Now, the '04 & '05 auto trannies...yes, they aren't the greatest on gas. However, in '06 they replaced the old 4-speed with a new 5-speed automatic trans. I'm sure the numbers on it are much better than the numbers you're referring to.

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:
Lots of cars are "hits" on paper. However reality is quite different. The Mazda3 is a great car on paper but in reality it is not pressing dents into Corolla or Civic sales.

Unfortunately, most people that buy a Corolla or Civic probably don't even test drive a Mazda3. Perception is huge when it comes to car buyers. They think that just because Civics & Corolla's have been great cars for years that they can't be beat. Obviously, I think they can. My wife have owned our '05 Mazda3 5-door 2.3L I4, 5spd. for 16 months now. We absolutely love the car. It's very peppy, handles like it's on rails, and the utility of the 5-door is inredible. We've also had zero problems with the car. The Corolla, especially, is BORING! The Civic isn't bad, but I've driven an '06 and I couldn't wait to get back in my 3.

I haven't seen anything on the new Elantra yet.

quote:

Not buying MT, period. Won't ever either given the great automatics available today.

You seem far too young to have already made up your mind for the rest of your life! Have you driven many standards? The learning curve isn't a quick one; it does take a while before you're doing smooth double-clutch downshifts without thinking about it. But the feeling of the direct connection of wheels to engine is hard not to appreciate. That said, I would take a good auto over a poor standard if that's what was available on the vehicle I wanted. A Duramax diesel comes to mind on that one. Depressing, congested driving conditions may make a standard seem like too much work at times, but someday you might be somewhere different and get a craving!

I average better than the EPA mileage rating on my Mazda 3s, and the $300 a year extra in fuel over a Civic is almost paid for in insurance savings anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back