Will SuperTech breakdown in high heat/stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently using SuperTech 10W30 dino oil and a SuperTech oil filter. If I beat the living crap out of the car like you would not believe (always have the pedal to the floor, bouncing off the rev-limiter, ect...) will this cheap "house brand" motor oil breakdown faster and more than a different dino oil like Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, Havoline? Could I get more engine protection in my situation by using GTX or Havoline over the SuperTech?

BTW I always change the oil at 3 months/3000 miles and usually I only put about 1800 - 2200 miles in 3 months time.

Your driving style will kill the motor not the oil. If you change the oil at 2000 miles you should be fine. You can spend at bit more (not much) on Chevron Supreme ($1.14 at Walmart) which seems equivalent to Castrol and Pennzoil.

Engines in a vehcile are a lot harder to kill then you might imagine. A lot harder.

[ March 14, 2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: gtm245 ]

I disagree... I think its like people.

A really unhealthy person will still usually live to be 60 or 70 years old. overweight, smoker, etc., but they still live on. Same with an engine...

An unabused engine might live out its useful service life very similarly to an abused one, but the abused one will never run at its peak and prime for very long... I think of the kids that get these civics, etc., think theyre real fast and run them off of redline all the time. Then you soon see them with the poof of burned oil at startup and/or when they shift gears. Will the car go to the same 150k miles? sure. Will it do so with the same economy, emissions, etc? Certianly not.

Its all what is in your longevity goals. Things go as smoothly and easily as possible, or if you dont care if there are hitches along the way.

That said, I think any oil (that doesnt have appreciable water buildup from limited usage) that is changed often will hold up well enough. I doubt youre running 10k redlines and all sorts of crazy stuff in your engine. Its just the same principle, kind of... Some oil;s will do it better than others.

JMH

[ March 15, 2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

The Supertech oil will not be the death of the engine as it's a good motor oil for a great price.

I ran this oil for 2 9,000 mile intervals in a 1987 Dodge Lancer that I bought for $400. It didn't use oil or make any other funny noises so I guess it was ok.

Yeah the SuperTech has been working pretty good for me so far and no troubles. I was just wondering if a higher price name brand dino oil could in any way protect my engine better. Plus it's not like I have all kinds of mods like a turbo, NOS, sky-high rev limit, ect... I just have a totally stock V8 that makes awesome power without those stupid little add ons.

As far as killing an engine, my previous car that was an absolute piece of crap was gonna go to the junkyard when I was done with it, but instead I decided to have a little fun with it. I would go down the highway about 30 MPH and put the car in R and floor it until it stopped, and then when it was going in reverse about 20 MPH, pop it in D and keep it floored. I sat in the middle of the road and floored the accelerator for like 2 min. while it was in N and then put it in D. Most of that was hard on the transmission, but when I tried to kill the engine, it just wouldn't die. I opened the hood, put the car in P and put a brick on the accelerator pedal. 1 hr. 15 min. later it is still running along like at 6000 RPM, engine temp. light was on, both radiator fans were on trying to cool it, the upper radiator hose was like twice as big around as it usually is, exhaust manifolds were glowing red. I finally gave up about 15 min. after that cause it was about to run out of gas. Oh good times, good times.

BTW who here actually uses ST oil and filters in their vehicles?

[ March 15, 2004, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: gtm245 ]

I have an do use ST filters and oil.

I've used the ST 5W30 in my Sienna and my Corolla(currently both running M1).I also did an oil change on my moms Camry using ST 5W30 which is still in there.Oil has a little over 1K of real short trip driving and the oil still looks clean.All use ST filters.

I use ST 20W50 in my 320i and like it's performance so far better then Pennzoil LL 15W40 that I used before.It burned that stuff quick!

quote:

Originally posted by gtm245:
I opened the hood, put the car in P and put a brick on the accelerator pedal.

What a blast. I always wanted to do that.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by gtm245:
Yeah the SuperTech has been working pretty good for me so far and no troubles. I was just wondering if a higher price name brand dino oil could in any way protect my engine better. Plus it's not like I have all kinds of mods like a turbo, NOS, sky-high rev limit, ect... I just have a totally stock V8 that makes awesome power without those stupid little add ons.

As far as killing an engine, my previous car that was an absolute piece of crap was gonna go to the junkyard when I was done with it, but instead I decided to have a little fun with it. I would go down the highway about 30 MPH and put the car in R and floor it until it stopped, and then when it was going in reverse about 20 MPH, pop it in D and keep it floored. I sat in the middle of the road and floored the accelerator for like 2 min. while it was in N and then put it in D. Most of that was hard on the transmission, but when I tried to kill the engine, it just wouldn't die. I opened the hood, put the car in P and put a brick on the accelerator pedal. 1 hr. 15 min. later it is still running along like at 6000 RPM, engine temp. light was on, both radiator fans were on trying to cool it, the upper radiator hose was like twice as big around as it usually is, exhaust manifolds were glowing red. I finally gave up about 15 min. after that cause it was about to run out of gas. Oh good times, good times.

BTW who here actually uses ST oil and filters in
their vehicles?

lol.gif
That made me laugh my butt off!!!!! Sounds like a good time! Almost as good as the time my buddies got an old beat up Chevy Luv pick up and shot it up with our AK's, AR's and shot guns! That was a good time!

Schmoe, if your asking me what engine/car I tried to destroy, it was a beat to sh*t 1988 Chevy Celebrity with about 190,000. It had the 2.8L V6 which is to my knowledge a smaller version of the 3.1L V6 (which I think are one of the best engines ever and pretty much indestructible). The 2.8 had the same bore just a shorter stroke than the 3.1.

Oh that was one of the most fun-filled days I've ever had. My friends and I did every single thing we could think of to kill the Celebrity to no avail. We absolutly killed that car and not a single thing failed on it. I thought for sure it would be done in about 10 min. because the car was such a big piece of poop but sure enough it went all day with our abuse. Along with the other things I said we did, we would get going about 50 MPH down the road and slam it into 1st gear and the whole car would lurch forward, we would again go like 50 - 55 MPH and stand on the brakes. We must have done that at least a dozen times. The front disc rotors were a nice bright red color when we got done doing that. The shocks were really bad on the car, so we would go down the road and floor it and then slam on the brakes, and then right away floor it again to get it bouncing. Did that for like 20 min. Whats awesome is when you go like 50 MPH and put it in P and it just grinds SOOOO loud and when you finally get below about 20 MPH the P engages and locks up th front tires. Being stoped in the middle of the road and having it in N and your foot to the floor for minutes and then just slamming it into D was pretty awesome too. The dashboard shook and the tires squealed for a pretty long time for a old tired V6. I used to think it was the crappiest car ever and I never could imagine that this old rusted out Chevy could take that abuse for hours and hours. It totally changed the way I viewed the durability and the engineering in automobiles. Seriously they are so much more durable then I could ever have imagined.

BTW my friends uncle had an old 1990 cavalier with the 2.2L I4 and he decided to try to blow the engine up also because he couldn't get a dime for the car cause it was so crappy. He also set a brick down on the acclerator and decided that that is the way the car would die. Anyway his lasted for over an 1 hr. 30 min. and then he blew the head gasket. Oh man those were good times.
grin.gif

Chris B, those Luv's were so awesome!

[ March 15, 2004, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: gtm245 ]

Anyone else ever tried to destory an old beater like I did? If you did I know you had tons of fun!

I won't replace my comparative ST UOA's which show it to have a stronger add pack than Valvoline or Castrol (which is the weakest of the three BTW). In truth, I'm not convinced that any dino SL rated oil is that much better than any other. The one thing that you do get with ST that might make purists cringe is that the blender (Warren) makes the stuff to different recipes (i.e. moly) depending on weight. No doubt they would quickly change the formula if it benefited them, on the otherhand Consumer Reports stated that Shell had completely different formulas in different parts of the country in their taxi test in the mid-nineties.

I like the Luv also but this one was beyond help and extreemly rusted out! We shot it up along with a few other junkers at a small junk yard.

Ray you have no idea how much fun this can be!
grin.gif

If SuperTech truly meets the "SL" spec on the label, you won't have any problems, especially with your short oil change intervals.

That said, I've never figured out the point in buying "house label" or "no name" oils. I know two places which sell Shell and Citgo oils for $1/qt every day, and often other name brands (Havoline, Chevron, Mobil) are on sale for about the same price on any given week. I believe that SuperTech sells for about this much? So why not just pick the name brand on sale...at the same price as SuperTech...and get both quality and peace of mind..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back