Will New A1/B1 rated SP / GF-6 Synthetic Oils Sheer More ?

I noticed that M1 and PP no longer show A5/B5 ratings on the new SP / GF-6 synthetic oils and now are only showing A1/B1 ratings : Can I expect these new oils to sheer more than previous generation of A5/B5 rated oils ? ... My Hyundai GDI 2.4L '17 Sonata sheers oil over 4K miles like it invented the term , so sheer stable 5W30 synthetic oils are a requirement for me .

*I previously thought Valvoline Advance 5W30 synthetic was a very good synthetic 5W30 for my Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine but a recent UOA of an easy driven similar Hyundai 2.4L GDI showed it sheered down to a 20W oil only after 3,500 miles (no A5/B5 rating) which is a concern . All other specs. of the Valvoline oil were great though (which is too bad) .

Not sure where you got that information concerning PP but it’s not accurate. Here’s the SP/GF-6A PP 5W-30 I recently put in my Jeep and it clearly displays A5/B5.

30E00F42-3B52-4A00-B599-834C72A148C6.jpeg

I noticed that M1 and PP no longer show A5/B5 ratings on the new SP / GF-6 synthetic oils and now are only showing A1/B1 ratings : Can I expect these new oils to sheer more than previous generation of A5/B5 rated oils ? ... My Hyundai GDI 2.4L '17 Sonata sheers oil over 4K miles like it invented the term , so sheer stable 5W30 synthetic oils are a requirement for me .

*I previously thought Valvoline Advance 5W30 synthetic was a very good synthetic 5W30 for my Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine but a recent UOA of an easy driven similar Hyundai 2.4L GDI showed it sheered down to a 20W oil only after 3,500 miles (no A5/B5 rating) which is a concern . All other specs. of the Valvoline oil were great though (which is too bad) .
How is your fuel dilution? Easy driven does not mean it will not sheer down. Most my UOA always showed minimum sheer and I drive them like I stole them, including my minivan. Since it is GDI you probably have fuel dilution which sheers down oil. If you do a lot of short trips, that is your culprit as fuel cannot evaporate, oil is not brought to operating temperature.

The A1/B1 category was removed from the ACEA Sequences in 2016 and only A5/B5 remains out of these two, and I believe it (A5/B5) was improved at the same time. Unlike API, ACEA often improves the requirements but keeps the name the same.

Here is a full copy (PDF) of the Euro ACEA sequences for you to download

They probably still list A1/B1 on oil jugs simply for owners of older cars, where this is listed in their owners manual. Anything that old A1/B1 does, new A5/B5 does better.

BTW all ACEA oils are required to pass a stay-in-grade shear stability test.

*I did not see A5/B5 on their respective web sites - didn't check the jugs yet in the store ...

*My average drive is 40 minutes in 2.4L GDI engine and fuel dilution is always present at the end of the oil change interval (3,750 miles) . While UOA does not show it's in a danger zone - fuel dilution is still present .

I hope not. The Castrol Edge and Edge EP 5W-30 has been truly outstanding at dealing with fuel dilution and shearing. I hope the reformulations don't force us all to go back to the drawing board.

*I did not see A5/B5 on their respective web sites - didn't check the jugs yet in the store ...
The product data sheet for the Platinum 5W-30 is wrong, it actually shows the 5W-20 data. I emailed Pennzoil and asked them to fix it but whoever was answering my emails didn't have a clue, and didn't even respond to the third one. I PM'd Gena Fishbeck and asked if she could look into it but she's never responded. It does show it under the Platinum Specification section and Ultra shows it in both the Specifications and the Viscosity Details section.

Ultra https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-ultra-platinum.html
Platinum https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum.html

Shear and fuel dilution both cause a drop in viscosity but are different.

Back