Will Mixing 10 different Oils Damage an Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another PF video, but this time he did UOA with sump of Amazon (WPp) Synthetic and then another UOA of a 10 varied grade and group bend from Redline 5W30 to Rotella T4 15W40 Diesel.

The UOA mileage was around 4500.

I wouldn't bother to mention it at all, except he did two B-S labs UOA with TBN on this mix.

I just now saw and watched the video on you tube.

I would have put a link, but I think you can search it on your own
smile.gif

- Ken

Last edited:
If they are API oils then they meet the requirements of ASTM D6922 and therefore will not "damage an engine." Once again, no need for a goofy PF video to attempt to tell us something that is already determined by a proper standardized test.

Too many variables here to make those assumptions. Though I'm am sure it would not damage an engine in fair weather running, here is a data point - a UOA with wear numbers with control and variable.

I am not a general PF promoter, in fact I've been a vocal critic on his channel and on this forum.

But The question has been asked many many times about mixing oil.

Here is a good data point - even including a used oil cold flow test.

. Since you complained, I will post the link to the video now
smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sglQrbfFVUI

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Another Project Farm video,
smile.gif

It was already posted up on here several days ago

The main thing I've learned around here plus 50 years of DIY OCs is that you keep oil in a modern engine, it will be fine.

Originally Posted by Indydriver
The main thing I've learned around here plus 50 years of DIY OCs is that you keep oil in a modern engine, it will be fine.

too bad your modern engine will start burning oil from the lack of oil changes
lol.gif

I prefer a 4k OCI esp you got some sorta eco tech engine... or a GM engine your OCI should be 4k to 4.5k MAX OCI if you want it to last more then 50k miles without burning oil...
28.gif
27.gif

I had a very heated debate on this on another forum where the person claimed to TOW a lot and he use amsoil oil and did 10k miles OCI
he started burning oil at 59k miles on his GM engine

most people that have extended OCI use a bypass filter or double filter setups to extend the OCI while towing...

mine has 92k miles on my 6.0L Active fuel management with VVT engine and Burns NO oil
05.gif

I do 4K OCI No sludge to speak of my oil stays clean tell 4500 miles.. but i change it at 4k miles +- 50 miles

Last edited:
Never done that and never had a GM burn oil. Mopar, yes … but long ago …

Mixing 10 different weights and types oil? No practical application. I may have added another quart of something similar when I didn't have enough of the first one, but 10 bottles? Probably clickbait video. The widowmaker metal car ramps he used confirm that.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Mixing 10 different weights and types oil? No practical application. I may have added another quart of something similar when I didn't have enough of the first one, but 10 bottles? Probably clickbait video. The widowmaker metal car ramps he used confirm that.

Well it depends. I'm thinking I've got a mess of left over oil left over in 5 quart jugs. I've mixed some oils before with zero negative affects. I may just use five or so of them in a Franken mix this fall to get rid of a bunch of left over top off oil. Of course I have my Toyota insured because it could go up in flames any moment.

Last edited:
The main thing I've learned around here plus 50 years of DIY OCs is that you keep oil in a modern engine, it will be fine.- Indy Driver

Yup everything else just gives us an excuse to congregate
grin2.gif

Will mixing ten different oils damage an engine? Well there are probably 5 or a few more companies that make the additive packages and Guessing another 5 major oil refineries or a few more producing the base stock.

Another PF video, but this time he did UOA with sump of Amazon (WPp) Synthetic and then another UOA of a 10 varied grade and group bend from Redline 5W30 to Rotella T4 15W40 Diesel.

I wouldn't bother to mention it at all, except he did two B-S labs UOA with TBN on this mix.

smile.gif

- Ken

Project farm did this "blend" and it did no harm.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid

or a GM engine your OCI should be 4k to 4.5k MAX OCI if you want it to last more then 50k miles without burning oil...

LOL that is the truth!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

smile.gif

- Ken

I know that's what I'm posting about
smile.gif
Maybe the "PF" i n my post was too cryptic.

53' Stude you just reminded me I owe a Honda factory japan filter cut and post i promised two months ago!
But I was busy tarring the driveway pavement cracks this afternoon.

-ken

Just my opinion;

Mixing ten oils in a emergency will not hurt things. Doing it over the long haul I suspect will give you problems.

Once again, project farm thanks you for clicking on their clickbait videos thus earning them $$$

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

smile.gif

- Ken

I know that's what I'm posting about
smile.gif
Maybe the "PF" i n my post was too cryptic.

53' Stude you just reminded me I owe a Honda factory japan filter cut and post i promised two months ago!
But I was busy tarring the driveway pavement cracks this afternoon.

-ken

Arco: sorry bout project farm. Somedays I'm dumb
smile.gif

I'll wait for your filter post sometime sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Once again, project farm thanks you for clicking on their clickbait videos thus earning them $$$

And from what we've heard on here, a lot of $$$$.

I hear the guy is on cable TV shows now!

I couldn't get him to retire the one arm bandit .

People are saps these days - get in there and "collect the sap!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back