Will Liquid Castile Soap Clog Drains?

Best bar soap I found over 30 year of paying attention to bath soaps is Pears Original. I have use Kirks and Bronner's and Tom's and Bert's and Neutrogena and also made my own semi-cold process using food- grade veggie and nut oils for a few years.

Pear's has the best aspects of glycerin and palm kernel and tallow bar soaps; lathers very well, may have some anti-bacterial benefits as it employs ancient Egyptian tech, rinses clean and FAST and ... it isn't loaded with white paint pigment!
Downsides are: it smells a bit medicinal and it is consumed rapidly.
Lost my local source at RiteAid years ago, I have to buy it on Amazon (yikes!) beware of many bad sellers there.

Pear's Pure and Gentle - 125g size

View attachment 130631

View attachment 130632
Is it similar to Neutrogena?

Since I'm home now and the wife is a 4 day a wk Nana for the grand kids, I'm back to pearl diving. I also maintain everything. and getting the cesspool pumped etc. Since I took over KP, I save used paper towels. When a greasy pot or spaghetti sauce comes along, It gets wiped out with a UPT and that mess gets diverted to another waste stream, not my septic system. As for soap putting grease into solution, that is a temporary state. :cool:

What about the fat you eat going down the drains?

I get your point but the statement is funny. I tend to digest the fat I eat and by the look of me, none of it has gone down the drain :)

It reminds me of a classic question by the media to the captain of a warship: Captain, how often does a small warship like this sink? Answer, "usually only once".

This is the dish soap we use:

They look like good products, I just can't stand the strong [chemical] perfume fragrance they use in almost all of their products.
I got a free jug of their laundry liquid and it made the fabrics smell way too strong for me so I gave the stuff away.
I also tried their "baby mild" laundry liquid that's also too overpowering for me.

I bought this tea tree soap from heb (can’t remember the brand, it was about $2), but it was really harsh and dried me out.

I might try the Dr Bonner’s Tea Tree or just get some more Paul Mitchell, since I know I like it.

I also like Kiss My Face olive oil soap but one type of it dries out my skin big time.

They say you can wash your hair in castile soap but I wouldn't.
I've tried that and after a few washes I got the frizzies because soap strips away the natural oils n the hair.
Conditioner will help restore it, but it can take a while.

Reactions: wlk
I've lived in areas with hard water and I used to get a lot of soap scum buildup very quickly.

A thick white chalky residue was what I noticed in my sink and tub after using Castille soap when I had hard water. I didn't get that residue with soft water but I haven't used Castille soap in years.

The only way to really avoid that with a soap (any soap) is to use a detergent instead like a body wash. Even soft water will form a soap scum.

The only way to really avoid that with a soap (any soap) is to use a detergent instead like a body wash. Even soft water will form a soap scum.
Which is one reason why I haven't used traditional soap in over 20 years. At my place, I use nothing but soap-free liquid cleansers. When I go hiking I take a soap-free cleansing bar because it won't spill inside my backpack. Nothing but Sebamed, whether liquid or a bar. It's great stuff, mild, and cleans well, and that's why it's popular with personnel who have to wash their hands all the time.

Last edited:
I also like Kiss My Face olive oil soap but one type of it dries out my skin big time.

They say you can wash your hair in castile soap but I wouldn't.
I've tried that and after a few washes I got the frizzies because soap strips away the natural oils n the hair.
Conditioner will help restore it, but it can take a while.
Being bald, luckily I only need one soap😁

Back