will import oils have a higher HTHS then north american oils?

🙋‍♂️ Raises hand with the best answer:

Go give Shaeffer’s #9005 0W20 a spin. HTHS of 2.71 or
Shaeffer’s #9004 5W20 a try. A robust HTHS of 2.83.

Both meet most manufacturers approvals and requirement. I was recently thinking about the same question. I may be
trading in my ’16 Diesel Colorado pickup for the new Ford Maverick Pickup.
Meet? What does that mean? They are NOT approved. End of story. If it meets, nothing stops Shaeffer to get approval. Question is: why they don’t?

🙋‍♂️ Raises hand with the best answer:

Go give Shaeffer’s #9005 0W20 a spin. HTHS of 2.71 or
Shaeffer’s #9004 5W20 a try. A robust HTHS of 2.83.

Both meet most manufacturers approvals and requirement. I was recently thinking about the same question. I may be
trading in my ’16 Diesel Colorado pickup for the new Ford Maverick Pickup.
In reality: teacher corrects and the students laugh

Why does everyone insist on answering questions that aren't asked.

The question is whether imported oils will have a higher HTHS viscosity than North American oils. The answer is:

Not necessarily.
Well not much information is given. Why higher HTHS. What car/ engine. What conditions the car will be operated on. And the OP has not responded yet.

The only way we could know is to find the HTHS in a PDS or SDS, or reach out to the manufacturer and hope they provide us with the HTHS values.

Well not much information is given. Why higher HTHS. What car/ engine. What conditions the car will be operated on. And the OP has not responded yet.

The only way we could know is to find the HTHS in a PDS or SDS, or reach out to the manufacturer and hope they provide us with the HTHS values.
Or go by what an approval or license requires as a minimum.

i actually might just get the

Castrol EDGE 0W20 Extended Performance Synthetic Engine Oi​

its on clearenace rn and i believe has a hths of 2.6

If the highest available HTHS figure for a 0W20 oil is what you want to use (for warranty purposes):

Lubrication Engineers (Texas made) makes a #8511 0W20 product with a 2.8 HTHS. GF-6A, GM dexos1 Gen2, Ford WSS
-M2C946-B1, Chrysler MS-6395, API SN Plus.

Reputable company has been around a long time. Most of its products are primarily HDEO and Industrial lubricant related.
👍

If the highest available HTHS figure for a 0W20 oil is what you want to use (for warranty purposes):

Lubrication Engineers (Texas made) makes a #8511 0W20 product with a 2.8 HTHS. GF-6A, GM dexos1 Gen2, Ford WSS
-M2C946-B1, Chrysler MS-6395, API SN Plus.

Reputable company has been around a long time. Most of its products are primarily HDEO and Industrial lubricant related.
👍
Warranty is not predicated on the grade.

But funny you mention that since the LE oils are not dexos licensed. So which is it?

i actually might just get the

Castrol EDGE 0W20 Extended Performance Synthetic Engine Oi​

its on clearenace rn and i believe has a hths of 2.6
SAE J300 (newest version is 2015) says 20 weight has to be a minimum of 2.6 cP HTHS. The minimum for 30 weight is 2.9.

Reactions: FZ1
I expect very few, if any, 0w20 oils will have an HTHS spec of 3.5.
Not even a straight weight 20 with no VIIs will have a HTHS that high. Straight 30 weight might be close.

Last edited:
Valvoline Advanced full synthetic in 0W-20 or 5W-20 has a HTHS of 2.7.

Valvoline EP 0w20 has a HTHS of 2.7 as well. This is an oil specified for usage in GDI applications and if it is anywhere near as good as the former Valvoline Modern Engine I will end up using it in the future because I have gotten good to great results using VME in my two GDI engines.

For XW30 oils HTHS of 3.5 is nothing unusual. All A3 and C3 XW30 oils are minimum 3.5 HTHS.
Yes, the Euro variety of Valvoline 0W-30 and 5W-30 have HTHS of 3.5 cP. Their non-Euro full synthetic was 3.2, but went to 3.1 with API SP.

Back