Will I make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I filled the F150 with super thick, not in owners manual, not SN, Delo SD 15w-30. What are my odds of making it to next oil change? Will oil make it to the cams when the temps dip to 45F?
Trolling.gif
grin.gif

PageHeader.jpg

Last edited:
I have that too. But I bought it for my zero turn mower.
My F350 has hard enough time spinning CM 5w30

Since you are in Florida should be fine. I wouldnt run it in ohio over the winter.
Last couple years we had a few nights of around -10F.
Which while balmy for some parts of Canada is way to cold for 15w30.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Yesterday I filled the F150 with super thick, not in owners manual, not SN, Delo SD 15w-30. What are my odds of making it to next oil change? Will oil make it to the cams when the temps dip to 45F?
Trolling.gif
grin.gif

PageHeader.jpg

Make sure you do everything at wide open throttle. That's the only way a heavy weight oil will protect you...

grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yup
Originally Posted By: hatt
Trolling.gif
grin.gif

PageHeader.jpg

Make sure you do everything at wide open throttle. That's the only way a heavy weight oil will protect you...

grin.gif

Especially on cold starts! I've been tempted a few times to use it in the IDI diesels, but I just keep finding better deals on 10W30 HDEO for winter use, like the T5 from AAP for $13.99-$5 rebate.

The wife's 2002 F250 with the diesel engine turns over well in the high 20*f with 15w-40 oil.

I have three gallons of Delo Blend 10w-30 I picked up on sale and with rebate. Had to flip a coin to decide which oil got put in. I'm liking the gallon jugs for my application which has pretty close to two gallon sump. Two jugs, done. The truck burns no noticeable amount of oil(with PPPP 10w-30) over 10K miles so partial jugs of top off oil are not needed.

I dunno if it'll make it to 500,000 - but it'll make it to the next OC quite easily.

And sorry, but that ain't thick. I have some Castrol RS in 10W-60 that is a bit on the thick side. You ain't even half of that
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: TheExpectorate
Depends on if you short trip it or not.
I don't short trip but if I did why would it matter?

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
You're in Florida, but my question is , why? why use a 15w30 in a gas F150
Why not? I worked at a company in the San Francisco Bay area that owned 3 Class 8 trucks probable 30 Ford 350 vans each with 13 horse power compressors and various company vehicles and about 300 forklifts of various sizes that all ran Delo 400 straight 30 with out any problems and in the 17+ years I worked for that great company I have never seen an engine failure.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
You're in Florida, but my question is , why? why use a 15w30 in a gas F150
Because it looks like a great oil. Little to no VII. $28 for three gallons. No rebates to mess with. I figured that if it's good enough for severe service commercial vehicles it'll be fine for my application. Looks great for small engines too.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Your engine will be OK, but might perform better with the correct wt oil.
Perform better in what way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back