Will I get banned if I complain about Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it seems that the new 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime is a remake of the Chevrolet Volt drive train! Yeah, they may have done it a little bit better by making it fast as well as 4 wheel drive, but it's basically the same principal.
A series layout plug in hybrid with 43 miles of electric range. The reviewers are even calling the battery pack HUGE!

Unlike the VOLT however, the reviewers are calling this the hottest thing since sliced bread!
It drives me nuts. Even the Volt would top 50 miles of range easily, and they called that battery pack small!

I suppose I should be complaining about the car reviewers and not Toyota.

It does look like a well thought out vehicle though. Lots of bells and whistles. I'd be looking for dealer markups on this one.

You'd get banned if you praised Toyota not bashed it.

43 miles is enough for me to run the grocery store maybe twice in spring/fall. Once if I have to run a/c or heat. Not for me. Probably for a good number of others. But a hybrid setup, that could do well.

In the book "Car Guys vs the bean counters" by Bob Lutz he talks about biased reviews for foreign cars.

It has a gas motor also, but 40 ish miles on electric only. Gas available for longer trips. Range unlimited as long as you can get fuel.

rod

Last edited:
Every Toyota thread has to start off about how great your Toyota has been. Make sure to use the word flawless.

A lot of people thinking Hybrid is the same as 100% EV like Tesla.

I can be wrong, Isn't a hybrid intended to run on gasoline and electric together.
I suppose that the gasoline can take over after 43 miles, if it even goes that far on electric.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
A lot of people thinking Hybrid is the same as 100% EV like Tesla.

I can be wrong, Isn't a hybrid intended to run on gasoline and electric together.
I suppose that the gasoline can take over after 43 miles, if it even goes that far on electric.

Yeah, the idea of a plug-in hybrid is that the vast majority of your driving (think in town stuff) can be done on electric-only but you don't have to worry about finding a charge station if you take a longer trip, where it will happily transition to the gas engine.

Originally Posted by irad
In the book "Car Guys vs the bean counters" by Bob Lutz he talks about biased reviews for foreign cars.

Lutz worked for the big 3. Not exactly an unbiased voice.

a little off topic but there is an intangible in volt vs rav4 discussion.
My last GM car was a new 84 Olds ciera
nice body, gas mileage ride, room etc however
in first year 10,000 miles
radio broke
air con fan broke
rear shock leaked
recall to add a vibration damper on exhaust system
had a block coolant leak 1 drop a night that required replace head gasket, then remove and replace with new head, then 2 weeks later replace the short block under warranty $$$$$$$$$ and 6 other trips for things that broke.
Meanwhile GM execs made millions.
since 84 2 hondas, 1 infiniti, 3 toyotas.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Every Toyota thread has to start off about how great your Toyota has been. Make sure to use the word flawless.

Usually they are pretty much flawless. But I do know two friends with Toyotas 10-15 years old with fairly low miles for that age. One had to spend quite a bit on things that shouldn't have worn out (and that do not require any maintenance), the other seems to be unreliable needing a few tows, not sure of the reason or if it is maintenance related.

That being said, my next vehicle (hopefully at least a decade away) will likely be one of the fabled (at least on this site) Toyotas.

Originally Posted by JohnG
So it seems that the new 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime is a remake of the Chevrolet Volt drive train! Yeah, they may have done it a little bit better by making it fast as well as 4 wheel drive, but it's basically the same principal.
A series layout plug in hybrid with 43 miles of electric range. The reviewers are even calling the battery pack HUGE!

Unlike the VOLT however, the reviewers are calling this the hottest thing since sliced bread!
It drives me nuts. Even the Volt would top 50 miles of range easily, and they called that battery pack small!

It does look like a well thought out vehicle though. Lots of bells and whistles. I'd be looking for dealer markups on this one.

To be fair, the two are completely different sized vehicles. The RAV4 is significantly larger so being able to achieve the same range and economy from a substantially larger vehicle is quite impressive.

The Volt wasn't a big seller. Toyota will sell many RAV4 at LIST PRICE.

You wouldn't complain if you sold Toyotas.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by irad

Lutz worked for the big 3. Not exactly an unbiased voice.

The GM marketing team did a lousy job selling the volt, still to this day people don't understand how it works/ worked.

When the cars finally arrived the dealers trashed it by marking up the early ones an obscene amount souring many prospective buyers. I remember some guys bumped it 20K.

When Lutz gets on interview panels guys fawn all over him vs. hold him accountable for the stuff he spews out.
Remember - according to Bob the good times are over.

UD

Last edited:

It's hot because unlike the Volt it is a hybrid with a combined 300+ hp gas/electric powertrain.

Toyotas are not flawless but if you want a reliable used car you cannot go wrong with a Camry. Its a decent car, reasonably priced and reliable. Its not a Jeep to go offroad, or a Porsche to race around the European mountain roads, but if you don't have a ton of money and want a reliable used car, then a Camry is the one to get.

I leased an i3 and would pick up a CPO 330e M Sport in a heartbeat; I prefer a PHEV.

You should get the new Subie hybrid. Runs on gas until it breaks then you push by hand.
Trolling.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back