Will GM run out of 8 digit part numbers soon?

If it's anything like the engine names, they'll just reuse numbers :sneaky:

Most of the Japanese cars have been using 10-digit part numbers for years, and Honda uses 11.
No, they won’t reuse part numbers. GM did reuse the part number on the faulty ignition switch in the Chevy Cobalt to cover up a part flaw. The engineer was immediately fired once the scandal was uncovered. In the engineering world, once a part has been updated it’s supposed to receive a new part number. In the case of GM, they didn’t know which vehicles had the updated part because the same part # was used as the defective part.

GM owners always NEED lots of parts
I spend more at the Ford dealer than I do at the GM dealer on average per month, With about an even spilt on the number of vehicles repaired.
The number of Ford COP's I sell is staggering while I never sell GM coils other than the 4 in 1 coils for the Timing Belt 4 cylinders.

Lots of Ford Timing Chains & Capless filler necks, Lots of GM A/C Condensers & Vacuum Pumps on 1/2 ton trucks.

No, they won’t reuse part numbers. GM did reuse the part number on the faulty ignition switch in the Chevy Cobalt to cover up a part flaw. The engineer was immediately fired once the scandal was uncovered. In the engineering world, once a part has been updated it’s supposed to receive a new part number. In the case of GM, they didn’t know which vehicles had the updated part because the same part # was used as the defective part.
Makes the Ford system nice when they can just change the suffix from -A to -AA or -B. We can always tell a part is going to be recalled when the price drops dramatically, like 1/10 the previous price.

About as critical as you feeling the need to comment in the thread, huh ? :rolleyes:
What’s your role here ? He starts a thread under the auspices of part numbers - and quickly sticks a cheap shot in on GM … someone wants to know actual intents and purposes … and you play holier than thou. Ok

Last edited:
He starts a thread under the auspices of part numbers - and quickly sticks a cheap shot in on GM
The comment about rust ? I took that as a joke... If it personally offends you, get thicker skin.
someone wants to know actual intents and purposes
So now everyone needs to justify why they post or ask a question ? No one is forced to read, or comment, in any thread. People can just move along.

The comment about rust ? I took that as a joke... If it personally offends you, get thicker skin.

So now everyone needs to justify why they post or ask a question ? No one is forced to read, or comment, in any thread. People can just move along.
Don’t about my skin … what I posted is legit being a long term, current, and future GM owner …
You are the one who jumped in when the guy I directed comments to already responded …

Don’t about my skin … what I posted is legit being a long term, current, and future GM owner …
You are the one who jumped in when the guy I directed comments to already responded …
I guess my comment about rust went right over your head? Picture was of an emblem, made of.....PLASTIC. Yep, I started the thread knowing someone will post that photo just so I could rag on GM. Sure have a vivid imagination there. And btw, I happen to have over half a dozen GM cars and trucks from 70's models on up, most of which I've owned over 10 years.

I guess my comment about rust went right over your head? Picture was of an emblem, made of.....PLASTIC. Yep, I started the thread knowing someone will post that photo just so I could rag on GM. Sure have a vivid imagination there. And btw, I happen to have over half a dozen GM cars and trucks from 70's models on up, most of which I've owned over 10 years.

Nobody will buy them?

Getting back to the original post, I thought I was the only person that worried about such things as the US running out of social security numbers and the phone company running out of phone numbers

Back