Will engine oil ever become lifetime fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With air filters, transmission fluids, coolants, and differential lubes becoming "lifetime" items, even under severe service, will engine oil ever make it to this list?

As long as there is blow bye and and high heat then NO.

Actually I do not believe in liftime any coolant or lube. They ALL breakdown and will hold wear/debris nothing is liftime IMHO.

Oxidation debris and gunk can be highly filtered out but oxidation will break down the oil, that will only change with lower operating temps and no or less blow bye/condensation.

But then again I never thought people would pay $1 for a bottle of water or go to a place to have someone else change there oil for $30.
bruce

As NY used to say, Rust never Sleeps...
smile.gif

Seriously though, I'd agree with Bruce....

With high TBN, PAO/Ester synlubes and 1 um bypass filters, you're probably getting as close to a lifetime fill as is possible. Even then you're still adding some makeup oil, due to normal consumption and filter changes.

TS

Depends on lifetime.

I recall a 60's Mech Illustrated in which there was an article that stated Ford went to Castrol(?), wanting a lifetime engine oil for their new "disposable" car that they thought to market.

Disposable was supposed to mean buy a cheap car, and drive it for 25k miles no maintenance and buy a new one.

Castrol's respons was that any oil would become a lifetime fill if the life was 25k miles.

Disposable! You must be talking about my Fairmont!
lol.gif

crushedcar.gif

Seriously though, I enjoy changing my oil. It's too easy with my car. So I'll stick with regular OCIs even if that magic elixir should show up.

All fluids are lifetime fill. If one wants to extend the lifetime of the vehicle one must change one's fluids more often than never.

quote:

Originally posted by JackFish:
Disposable! You must be talking about my Fairmont!
lol.gif

crushedcar.gif

Seriously though, I enjoy changing my oil. It's too easy with my car. So I'll stick with regular OCIs even if that magic elixir should show up.

The '78 Fairmont I had was a definite junkmobile. The valve cover gasket turned out to have been eroded away by time and poor maintenance (I stupidly bought the junker used before I knew what to look for in a car)so bad that in the space of 25 miles from where I bought it to home it leaked out 3 quarts of the 5 quarts of oil.
mad.gif
I hope Satan is enjoying driving it now.
wink.gif

If the manufacturer put a bypass filter on their cars you might have a situation where you just change the filter, and pass the problems on the the second owner.

quote:

But then again I never thought people would pay $1 for a bottle of water or go to a place to have someone else change there oil for $30.
bruce

When I was a kid they had these devices for drinking water in lots of places. You turned a knob and drinking water came right out of the ground, through a water pipe and you could drink it without even having a cup. And it was free. I guess the people that put the water in bottles convinced us of the error of our ways. There must have been too many people that died of drinking water disease. I'm sure glad that there are so many people out there that can tell us how stupid we are, and to fix things we only have to give them money.

Sorry for going off topic, but there is an Ad out at the moment that suggests that the Water that comes out of a Kitchen faucet and the water that fills the Toilet comes from the same source
shocked.gif

I wonder if a Dry Lubed engine is possible??

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
When I was a kid they had these devices for drinking water in lots of places. You turned a knob and drinking water came right out of the ground, through a water pipe and you could drink it without even having a cup. And it was free. I guess the people that put the water in bottles convinced us of the error of our ways. There must have been too many people that died of drinking water disease. I'm sure glad that there are so many people out there that can tell us how stupid we are, and to fix things we only have to give them money.

Thank you favorite diety that the evil government got stopped providing drinking water at no charge and depriving businesses the opportunity to sell overpriced water to people in bottles.

You are all missing the ball on this...

You don't pay for the water.

You pay for the fact that it is easy to take with you so you don't have to hang your head over the fountain for 15 mins. You pay for the fact that it is reseable so it can be used later when you are thirsty again. You are also paying for the instance of if you dropped it then it's contents would remain safe.

Also some city water taste like it does come from the toliet so if you don't want to taste last weeks pinic at the park from 40 people then get filtered spring water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back