Will Delvac 1 Dammage a Catalytic Con. In a Gas Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that the phosphorous will cause problems with the cat con. Is a Cat con expensive to replace?

--Garry

Volitile oils with lots of phosphorous usualy from lots of ZDDP can cause problems. The key word here is volitile. Seeing how it is a fleet oil that does not have burn off issues I think you should be fine.

Hi,

the answer is no it will not do any damage. I have had considerable experience with this oil and the recommended use "...Superier performance in both diesel and petrol engines..." tells the story. It is sold as a "mixed fleet" oil.
I use it in many engine types and its SL/SJ rating also confirms this statement

Regards

It interests me in that no one ever asks if Redline or Amsoil's additive package does a cat converter in? If as most agree the higher add. packages protect the motor better, then would it be more cost effective to replace the cat converter at lets say 200,000 miles than to replace the engine ?

95 Ford PSD Diesel and some others in following years use a Cat. Convertor. I have taken some off for testing and NONE (0) have been plugged or even close to it. In fact 100% have been like they left the factory except with a black color. The cat conv. on this vehicle appears to have smaller holes in the honey-comb front to end than some of the gas powered vehicle cats.
To me this is an old wives tale and I have seen a few reports contrary, but no documented evidence by any credible lab. Until I do, this wives tale will continue to exist. Not interested in a friend of a friend who's vehicle cat plugged. These are normally caused by oil burners and the 40wt. was used trying to stop oil useage. JMO

[ August 28, 2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: delete ]

It's not an old wives tale; it has been documented in SAE and LE technical papers.

However, you have to read how they did the actual engine tests. They injected motor oil into fuel stream just below the tbi.

Not a valid engine/cat test in my view.

It is still an old wives tale. Pouring sand through the TBI does the same thing. Realistic tests are what I am talking about.

lol.gif

Significant amounts of oil should only reach the converter if there's oil passing the rings and guides in my belief.

No oil consumption, no problem.

I am putting my nomex gear on and my flame retardent jock strap! THe vechiles that have this type of problem are hi millage vechiles that have been run on lots of cheap 5W30 volitile oil. IF you never experince burn off issues then this is probably never going to be a problem. The manufacture with the cheapest cat. converters is GM they were also the first to push 5W30 and long drains. They have some insane issues with catlytic converters. What saves them is the fact that they only have to replace a cat. if the vechile fails an offical emmission test while those parts are under warranty. SO the fact that most states do not test lets them get away with alot of cheap converters!!! Their converters are so bad that performance tunners like John Lengafielter and Callaway typicaly use the cats. off of the Viper on Corvettes.

You might also note that their are more GM cars on the HWY even new ones that bulch tons of Sulfur Dioxide from their tale pipes. You can detect this as rotten egg smell. While the rotten egg smell does not meanit is bad it is funny that they have so many vechiles doing this!

Well when I'm out jogging I can tell the aftertaste I get when a GM passes me.
So John I must say your on (FIRE)with that.
Thats as scientific as I'll ever get!
wink.gif

RichR

RichR. I was expecting more fallout. I think it is also kind of funny that GM was the first pushing for lower phosphorous levels. THey of course claimed it was killing their cheap converters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back