will clear plastic tubes melt in hot oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my Blackstone collection kit hasn't arrived yet and I was planning on changing the oil in my car this weekend. I am thinking about using one of those siphon pumps sold at Walmart to transfer the oil directly from the engine to a oil container to lower the chances of contamination. I haven't tried this before so I was worried about the plastic tube that I would put down the dipstick hole will melt in the hot oil. I was hoping someone here has tried it and would share their experiences. Thanks.

If you plan to do a transfer while the engine is cold, vinyl tubing will probably work OK. But, if you intend to transfer hot oil after a good warm-up run, go with nylon. Nylon tubing is available at home improvement centers as refrigerator water supply tubing. It's also sufficiently strong to resist line water pressure and can be cleaned and re-used indefinitely. Additionally it's stiffer than vinyl tubing and should insert easily without fear of kinking that would resist fluid flow. Just take your new toy along to match up the proper inside diameter. If the outside diameter proves too large to fit through your dipstick tube, you'd need to purchase a reducer coupling and a length of smaller diameter nylon tube that fits.

Thank you, thank goodness I aked before I did anything stupid like melting a platic tube in my engine.

Good stuff to know. I actually did use plastic once and it did melt in my engine. Didn't seem to hurt anything but what a awful feeling in my stomach for awhile.

Hit up The Home Depot. They have nylon tubing of the correct diameter by the roll for a decent price.

One word of advice:

If you've never done a vacuum extraction of the oil on your engine, I highly recommend that you slowly insert the (nylon) tube into the dipstick tube and pull it out every inch or so (I know, it sounds stupid). The reason for this is an experience I had with a '87 Buick (3.8L) - I inserted the tube all the way, until it bottomed out (and did the extraction). BUT, when I went to remove the tube, it wouldn't budge. Seems there is a sharp edge somewhere in the path that grabs the tubing (only on withdrawal). I was in full panic mode. I was able to very slowly push and rotate until I got the tubing out - but it was pretty "scarred" up. Obviously, that car is changed using the drainplug now. No problems with my BMW. I suspect this engine is in a small minority - but that's what these forums are all about.

Thanks for the heads-up!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back