Will be changing all gear and ATF lubes in my '15 Grand Cherokee

It has only 42000 miles on it, but I like to do better maintenance than the minimum.. Finding the T-case model number took a while, but my goodbuddymechanic was persistent; it's an MP3023.
Planning to use all Red line-recommended oils--75W85 GL-5 Gear Oil in the front and rear diffs, D6 ATF in the 8-speed autotrans (which I LOVE), and C+ ATF in the transfercase.

Anyone have any comments or crticisms?

Last edited:
I recently changed out the front/rear differential and transfer case. I used Ravenol 75W85 GL-5 (with LS included) and Ravenol ATF+4 and it was a pretty straight forward process. I paid a shop to do the fluid exchange using the same ATF+4 Ravenol product. Jeep is running great. Good luck with your Red Line product, I am sure it will work great.

The manual for my 2014 recommends it will go to 100,000 miles or more. I am doing mine real soon and it just hit 62 rounds. IMO it' not worth risking a $4500.00 tranny for the price of a fluid filter change.

If you tow, I would recommend that you consider upping the viscosity in the rear axle to 75W-110 or 75W-140.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by Slick17601
I would use the ZF transmission fluid.

+1

I know verndiesel over on the ram forums has something like 500k on his Ram 1500 eco diesel/zf towing airstreams and he says he's been using maxlife atf for the last 300k and has never had any issues with the trans. Changes fluid every 60-100k. Whenever I get around to doing the fluids on my Ram (I'm not messing with it until I'm out of warranty, and probably not until 10yrs or 100k) I'll be putting maxlife in the trans.

Assuming I get around to it this summer, I'll be changing out the ATF and pan/filter assembly on the ZF8 in my pentastar powered Ram 1500 and my plan is to use a ~$60 mail-order pan kit and Maxlife ATF that is "suitable" for ZF8 use per Valvoline's wording. Take that as you will of course. I personally don't fear "suitable for use" fluids when it's coming from a name brand product because I've never experienced an issue using them.

Like mwjones stated above, I too have seen a few youtube videos of guys using Maxlife ATF in ZF8s in various FCA and BMW applications.

Back