Will AMSoil warranty cover this???

Status
Not open for further replies.
AJ - do you REALLY expect an oil company to blindly replace an engine with no proof of anything?

I actually don't classify the Audi 1.8T as a known sludge engine. I could be wrong.

I also know Too Slick has the same engine and has been doing Amsoil 10K runs - send him a PM.

!. We don't now that the engine is sludged at all,
2, don't even know that the oil pump is failing,
3. In all the time the internet blather is going back and forth, the owner could have been able to tell if the engine is sludged or not, it is really easy to inspect an engine and tell if it has sludge.
4. Why isn't this in the oil filter section instead, it is jsut as easy to have low OP short term from a bad oil filter..

Looks like too much speculation and not enough examining the physical to be blindly speculating about this with no facts. I just looked and 0w-30 says plainly meets or exceeds ACEA A3-B3, it would be the last thing I would suspect of causing a light coming on.

Amsoil is not the cause of this. As reyjay said the oil clearly meets the spec. High probability it's something else.

Umm, fyi, oil sludge is epidemic in these engines. You guys make me laugh, AS IF I was expecting Pablo/AMSoil to send a check tomorrow for a new engine plus installation based on current info. Let me tell you what I can bank on- 1-Sludge, 2-The owner being honset about OCI and AMSoil being the oil of choice. So, when he fully examines the engine and it's full of sludge, are you going to blame it on the new filter? Here are the relavent points going forward- 1-Owners need all reciepts and a sample of old oil. 2-Owner must "prove" there are no "hidden" mechanical issues. 3-AMSoil was in this engine for the last 30k out of 40k. 4- Sludge is 99.9% certianly the problem. I can't even count how many times I've said that AMSoil/Sludge are two givens in this case. What I find interesting is how many hoops an owner must jump through to get warranty coverage and at how many points AMSoil will attempt to deny thir product's warranty liability. Anyone want to place some bets on 1- it's sludged and 2- even though the owner may have reciepts, AMSoil will NEVER honour the warranty or pay a cent? I'll take ANY bet.

Maybe it's the way you write, AJ. Why do you dis me with the AMSoil thing? It's not funny, just silly. Kinda ignorant.

You aren't very familiar with oil warranties.

Maybe this will help:

Can you understand Mobil has pretty much the same warranty:

M1 EP Warranty

quote:

Allow an ExxonMobil representative to obtain an oil sample from the engine for oil analysis at no cost to you to assist in determining the cause of the equipment failure.

quote:

provide proof of purchase to determine the extent of the damage and to confirm that a Mobil lubricant was the cause.

quote:

This Limited Warranty excludes:

* Mobil lubricants used in mechanically deficient equipment as a result of abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; damage from casualty, shipment or accident; or, equipment modification done without written authorization from the OEM.
* Situations where the OEM required lubricant standards do not match those stated by Mobil without written approval from ExxonMobil.
* Mobil lubricants that have been used in conjunction with any other product or additive that has not been authorized for use by ExxonMobil.
* Failure of equipment due to a pre-existing condition that is unrelated to the use of Mobil lubricants.

Alright, I'm sure he spells it AMSoil simply because some people feel it's pronounced A-M-S Oil. Personally, I say Amsoil just as it's written but what the **** do I know.

Audie Junkie, there is no business on earth that has blindly trusted it's customers to tell the truth while remaining in business. None. I personally have failed in business due to my trusting nature while my customers happily screwed me for all I was worth. So don't take it badly or get personal when a representative of the company in question starts asking difficult questions. It's business. Pure and simple. Do it any other way and it will fail.

There is nothing out of line when a company ask for simple PROOF that their product indeed was at fault. What kind of proof depends on the product. In this case, if Amsoil were my company, I would want to see receipts, a sample of the oil in the crankcase at the time of the incident and a professional's opinion on the matter (ie, mechanic).

How nice it would be if you could simply say, "Hey Amsoil, I used your oil and now my engine has croaked!", and they just hand you a new one while paying for installation with a smile. Then we can all head down to the money tree farm and collect our million because it just grows on trees. While I'm at it I'll drop my wife off with some strange guys because hey, we're all trustworthy right?

As far as attitudes go, you and Pablo are borderline here anyway. You were quick to point fingers as soon as a few simple questions came about and Pablo should have known when to stop the inquisition and offer to refer the problem "up the chain".

Either way, good luck with your friend's car. IMO, the oil had nothing to do with it. Coolant leakage, fuel dilution, etc.. are all far more common and should be ruled out first before going after some oil company.

Fastride95 - you are correct. Sorry for coming on so strong.

Also, I want to clarify something - I guess the 1.8T is known to sludge sometimes. I don't think it's as bad as the Toyota sludgers, hence my initial thoughts. I'm not sure why sometimes it does sludge and other times it doesn't. There have been several long OCI with no issues and certainly I've never seen one sludge with Amsoil, but Consumer Reports lists it as a potential sludge engine.

like I said earlier, sure is alot of assuming going on around here..

So TooSlick has the same Audi engine and he has run extended OCIs with Amsoil and his engine is NOT SLUDGED UP?

maybe something is wrong with his Audi?
lol.gif

maybe something is wrong with his Amsoil because his Audi DIDN'T SLUDGE UP like it was suppose to...
lol.gif

I am just making assumptions thats all...

No problem, Pablo! I usually enjoy reading what you have to contribute to the board and I fully understand how easy it is to let business become personal, especially when you have a personal stake in it.

Appreciate you coming here and keeping us updated on the latest and greatest from Amsoil!

cheers.gif

This issue really has two parts.

One is the FACT that AMSoil sludged in this engine. If it's not sludged, I'll eat my hat. If it's not AMSoil, I'll say I was duped, but the owner is a nice guy with a long reputation on AudiWorld. He's not even caring about getting money from AMSoil, making his assertion all the more credible. The sludged engine should be noteworthy to the Foum and speaks for itself.

The other part is my contrived problem with collecting on oil warranties. AMSoil might be no different than other oil companies, but maybe not. I'm just saying, "don't kid yourself"...Pablo included. Even WITH recipts for the AMSoil and maybe even dealer reciepts for the service at 10k recommended intervals with the mileage noted, does anyone here really think AMSoil is going to pay for anything? Yeah, don't forget the crankcase sample. The "warranty" is useless. Ya pick yer oil and ya takes yer chances. In this case, the bottles might as well been full of Accel SB. Pablo, have you ever known of any AMSoil payments on the "warranty"? I'm just guessing there are none. I might even be skeptical if you cited one. If there is a BitOGer who has made a claim, that's another thing. Save all the retoric for new customers, this guy won't be going back to AMSoil.

Also, what's the problem with my spelling? I think it's fine. How does it diss you? If you have a problem with it, that's some OCD there. Noone is forcing you to read my threads and I think insisting on forum member's using a certian capitalization scheme is a bit overboard.

I don't feel like repeating myself over and over. Until I get the final word from the owner, there is not point in responding to more posts.

Using a reverse contrived hypothesis on the warranty stats theory (wow, did I say that?), one might infer that no warranty payouts means Amsoil actually is really really good oil, because they never had to pay on the warranty for an oil-related failure.

Hmmm. Guess it's all in the way you perceive you're own personal brand of logic...

I can not believe spent 10 min. reading this. AUdI juNKIe i think you problem, and it is not amsoil.

"one might infer that no warranty payouts means Amsoil actually is really really good oil, because they never had to pay on the warranty for an oil-related failure"

I'm aware of that...recent events lead me to believe otherwise.

"AUdI juNKIe i think you problem, and it is not amsoil"

Ha ha, that's funny. Blame the messenger/victim.

No way is the AMSoil customer with a sludged engine the problem!

The intellectual level on the Forum just went down two notches.

Somewhere before it comes to all of this, they should be looking for the root cause. The Audi's we have here can be counted on one hand, but sludge is easier to look for than reading all this discussion. It does not say how the pressure was checked. I have seen more defective guages than defective oils or pumps.
I've also seen pumps with the screen clogged by plastic, cork, and even the seal material from the oil bottles. I've seen loose pumps. I've seen low pressure from 10% fuel dilution. And really low pressure with 25% fuel dilution.
So you check the pressure with a calibrated guage, if all is well and there is no fuel smell to the oil, you pull the pan and check the rest.
I've never used Amsoil or known anyone who has, but I doubt that they produce a product that could ruin an engine. But I have been a part of dozens of analisis of the root cause of engine, transmission and differential failures or malfunctions. The biggest problem we always have going in is getting everybody's mind into a neutral state.

Comments based on over 27 years of using and selling AMSOIL:
AMSOIL does not cause sludge. Antifreeze in oil causes sludge. Excessive fuel contamination causes sludge. Some engines, because of the design, cause oils to sludge.

If AMSOIL caused a single engine to sludge, it is most likely that there would be another 5,000 to 15,000 engines sludged, since most of the engine oil is made in batches considerably larger than 5 qts.

I speak from some experience. My wife had to have my daughter's Saab when daughter moved to NY City.
Something to do with seats that moved up and down and back and forth by touching a button.
Car had had AMSOIL changed yearly (about 10K) since she bought it used with 60K on it.
Took it to shop with minor problem. Problem was fixed, and they replaced oil pressure sender unit since it was not working. Drove it home, and by the time I covered the 15 miles, got all kinds of bells and lights flashing. Yep, acute sludge.
Was it the oil? ****, no. First off, I have no idea if it had sludge when she bought it some 3 or 4 years ago. Unfortunately, the shop dropped the oil, so I couldn't get a sample for analysis-- I suspect some coolant contamination, but Saab has had some sludging problems (but mostly in newer cars). Should have had my 85 Saab (run on AMSOIL with 10K/yearly drains for the last 180,000 or so miles) fixed up, or told her to take a cab (which would have been much less expensive per year). Of course, neither approach would have been acceptable.

I for one have never seen a sludged up oil pump, because first I have never had one fail second I don't use an oil that promotes sludge. But an oil pump is a man made mechanical part so I believe it may be possible for one to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back