Will Amsoil SS truly go 15k miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safely? What about M1 EP? M1 says their oil will go 15,000 miles between oci. I'm looking at doing this with my wifes 2004 Nissan Maxima. She drives roughly 50 miles a day sometimes more. It is 85% highway and 15% stop light to stop light.

Since I asked that question. What about other high quality oils like RL. RL doesn't state milages or even suggest it is an extended oci oil. However, it's hths values are higher typically than both Amsoil and M1. All the VI's are relatively the same. Will RL oil go to 15,000 miles as well? Also looking at Motul but they don't state milage either.

I'd run Amsoil SS 15k without a worry. I ran it 20,000 plus in three different cars for 200,000 that saw 100 miles a day round trip commutes. Back then I changed filters and topped off every 7500. Last car I stopped doing that after the extended life filters came out. Have read either Mobil Ones will do that but I don't trust or have faith in Mobil One like I do Amsoil.

Last edited:
As the name Red Line implies its more for performance than extended OCI.

As for Amsoil if the engine is in good condition and you use a long life filter then sure. I would use an Amsoil filter so they honor any warranty.

Originally Posted By: 04SVT
Safely? What about M1 EP? M1 says their oil will go 15,000 miles between oci. I'm looking at doing this with my wifes 2004 Nissan Maxima. She drives roughly 50 miles a day sometimes more. It is 85% highway and 15% stop light to stop light.

Since I asked that question. What about other high quality oils like RL. RL doesn't state milages or even suggest it is an extended oci oil. However, it's hths values are higher typically than both Amsoil and M1. All the VI's are relatively the same. Will RL oil go to 15,000 miles as well? Also looking at Motul but they don't state milage either.

From Redline's site

How often should I change my Red Line oil?

It depends on how you drive. If you do a lot of city driving or low speed/low frequency driving, we recommend oil changes at 7500 miles. Vehicles that see more highway driving can go a maximum of 15,000 to 18,000 miles with an oil filter change in between. Modern filter technology and the latest, clean-burning fuels have reduced the solids that contaminate oil, so frequent filter changes aren't usually necessary.

Originally Posted By: buster
It "depends".

You must be an attorney.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: RMM
Originally Posted By: buster
It "depends".

You must be an attorney.
cool.gif

If you said "it depends upon what your definition of is is" then you must have been a president.

There is no doubt in my mind that Amsoil will go the 25000 miles they advertise IF the driving conditions aren't severe and then engine has proper air and oil filtration.
That being said I would be testing the oil at 15000,20000 miles just to be sure my application will allow the extended drain.
As far as mobil 1 goes I'm of the impression that their EP line is now a basestock called visom and not pao,so bearing that in mind I would test the oil at 10000 miles to educate myself on whether my application will allow that drain interval.
I will add that once you factor in the cost of the uoa would it be more cost effective to use a standard drain oil changed more frequently. It's all about return on dollar spent. If it's cheaper to run extended drains including the cost of analysis then I'm in,however if it's more cost effective to run an oil for example like pyb,which can be found for 12 bucks a jug here on rollback then that's the route I would take.
I'm in agreement with dnewton as far as getting your money's worth out of an expensive top shelf oil,otherwise you are just driving up the cost of ownership. And considering conventionals protect just as well as synthetics(there are exceptions) why spend the extra money if it's not paying back somehow.
JMO

Originally Posted By: Clevy
There is no doubt in my mind that Amsoil will go the 25000 miles they advertise IF the driving conditions aren't severe and then engine has proper air and oil filtration.
That being said I would be testing the oil at 15000,20000 miles just to be sure my application will allow the extended drain.
As far as mobil 1 goes I'm of the impression that their EP line is now a basestock called visom and not pao,so bearing that in mind I would test the oil at 10000 miles to educate myself on whether my application will allow that drain interval.
I will add that once you factor in the cost of the uoa would it be more cost effective to use a standard drain oil changed more frequently. It's all about return on dollar spent. If it's cheaper to run extended drains including the cost of analysis then I'm in,however if it's more cost effective to run an oil for example like pyb,which can be found for 12 bucks a jug here on rollback then that's the route I would take.
I'm in agreement with dnewton as far as getting your money's worth out of an expensive top shelf oil,otherwise you are just driving up the cost of ownership. And considering conventionals protect just as well as synthetics(there are exceptions) why spend the extra money if it's not paying back somehow.
JMO

Well stated and i agree 100%!
thumbsup2.gif

Great Post! Thank you. I'm not sure what a UOA goes for actually. I know I don't usually get my M1 on sale. I guess it is also a piece of mind thing for me. I'm not really sure I trust M1 for 10,000 miles.

One question...everyone says IF the driving conditions aren't severe. What constitutes severe driving conditions?

If you do a lot of city driving or low speed/low frequency driving. Towing as well or driving in really cold temps for short distances all constitute severe conditions. A few highway trips of an hour or so weekly will improve severe conditions somewhat.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Of course amsoil SS will go 15k no problem. It's a 100% PAO base stock

It is the additive package that gets depleted, not the base stock.

Yeah, but the basestock used will have a direct bearing on oxidation, which will in turn have a direct effect on the depletion of detergent and dispersent adds.

If I wanted an oil to go 15K, and under what look to be pretty easy use conditions, 15K should be pretty doable, Amsoil SSO would be my first pick among the oils you've named while Red Line would be third.
I'd add PP and Ultra to your short list as well.
The UOA forum is your friend, and there are UOAs of various lengths of the oils you've named as well as the two I've mentioned.
Check them out.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Yeah, but the basestock used will have a direct bearing on oxidation, which will in turn have a direct effect on the depletion of detergent and dispersent adds.

One only needs to look to many of the GIII based Euro oils to see that it doesn't require PAO to accomplish that. Again, I think the additive package plays the most significant role here.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If I wanted an oil to go 15K, and under what look to be pretty easy use conditions, 15K should be pretty doable, Amsoil SSO would be my first pick among the oils you've named while Red Line would be third.
I'd add PP and Ultra to your short list as well.
The UOA forum is your friend, and there are UOAs of various lengths of the oils you've named as well as the two I've mentioned.
Check them out.

Why would Redline be 3rd? Have we EVER seen an extended drain where Redline held up? I don't recall it being marketed as an extended drain oil either
21.gif
It is a high performance oil designed for demanding circumstances with incredible high heat tolerance. But from what I've seen, extended drains are not its forte.

To OP:

All arguments aside, each vehicle is different. So try extending your OCI and see if it will work for you at 15K. UOAs will tell you if you can make it that far, or even farther, on one oil change.

I've taken both our Jeeps to 12K OCIs, and Amsoil still had a good amount of additive left.

Last edited:
Which is why Red Line would be my third choice for extended drains.
There are some long runs of Red Line in the UOA forum.
Not all that impressive for such a costly oil.
Red Line clearly has a place, but it isn't as a cost effective long drain oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back