Will 5w30 [synth] do..??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newly acquired Husqvarna ride mower YTH24K48 - its 2 seasons old, estimate 120 hours total run time, max.
It has a Kholer KT735 - 24hp engine
Manual says to use 10w30 [ all I use is synth.. all is PP or PPUP ]

I have no 10-30 in my oil stash -- 75 lts or so.. LOL 50/50 of 0-20 and 5-30
Thinking my 5-30 will protect adequately...

yes, winter is upon us.. next grass clipping is not anytime soon..
wink.gif

Any input appreciated
Cheers
J.

PB246044.JPG

At least according to Briggs & Stratton synthetic 5W-30 is a more desirable oil than conventional 10W-30. It covers a wider temp range and is less likely to burn off in higher temps. So far with my B&S generator the synthetic 5W-30 has performed well and never used any oil even in 20 hours of use, even with using it in the summer temps. And since the generator doesn't move it tends to run hotter than say a lawnmower that gets moving air to help with cooling.

Whimsey

Agreed.. that was my suspicions that the 5-30 synth would be as strong [ if not stronger ] than a 10-30 dino..

However, now I have 2 generators and now this Husqy that recco's 10-30.
I have 10-30 synth in the gens now, as all I needed was small amounts, but still cost me more as buying a 5lt jug on a per liter basis, in comparison.

granted.. the generators have years between OCI because they only fire up during power outages..
Now i have regular OCI to contend with..
so maybe burn off some of my 5-30 and add 10-30 as the oil stash has room..

Originally Posted by Warstud
Using a 5w30 in 50 degree weather will make it about a 10w30.
27.gif

Hmmmmm 50*F = ~10*C

spring or fall.. doubt i will be mowing at those temps... also.. that time of year.. grass is always wet... rather not mow..
I would need a full week of sunny days
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
You can use just about any engine rated oil - honestly.

I dont think youre wrong....
but I am really a&nal.. about that kind of stuff... LOL

Manual states SL required.. everything I have is SN..

Chapter II

I finally had some time to poke around and start to do a closer inspection of this unit..
First thing... the dip-stick...its showing about an inch+ over the fill line...................... O_O
I siphon a full liter out from the fill tube... now its at the full level..
oy...!!!

Originally Posted by 2K2AcuraTL
First thing... the dip-stick...its showing about an inch+ over the fill line.
I can't speak for your Kohler engine, but the Briggs V-Twin on my mower needs to sit for two days before I can get an accurate oil level reading. If you check the oil shortly after running the machine, then top it off, you could end up in this situation. Admittedly a full inch over the full line is pretty extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back