Will 5W-20 in a KIA sportage kill it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will 5W-20 in a KIA sportage kill it? The manual shows 5W-30 to 10W-30 as the oil to use. The reason I ask is that I have a 2.3L Ford Ranger that I use 5W-20. I buy bought a case of Coastal (Autozone) brand oil and hate to keep another weight of oil around. Thanks for any information.

Hootbro

Well, I wouldn't use an off-brand 5w20 in ANYTHING.

Your best bet to play it safe with your Kia is to use the grade that it calls for.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

Your best bet to play it safe with your Kia is to use the grade that it calls for.

One thing I have learned from this site is that a "off brand" does not really mean second rate. Also, Coastal/Warren oil does meet the Ford spec for oil and that was what I look for in the 5W-20 stuff. http://www.warrenunilube.com/products/motoroils.htm I am really looking for an opinion based on facts rather than speculation. Thanks for the input.

Hootbro

[ June 13, 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Hootbro ]

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:

quote:

One thing I have learned from this site is that a "off brand" does not really mean second rate. I am really looking for an opinion based on facts rather than speculation. Thanks for the input.

Hootbro

What kind of "facts" do you think we can give you based on your question? The only way to know for sure if the 5w20 will "kill" your engine is to run it. Short of someone else on here having run it in an engine identical to yours and under the exact same conditions, any info we offer will just be speculation.

With all the name-brand 5w20s that are very affordable and have posted excellent UOAs on this board, why would you choose to use an off-brand? What "facts" did you base your decision on to use Coastal oil? How many UOAs (good or bad) for Coastal 5w20 have you read on here?

I'm coming to the end of a 5w20 experiment of my own, using it in my Chrysler which is spec'd for 10w30. The reason I chose Pennzoil 5w20 is because of these facts: It has posted stellar UOAs and the VOAs have shown it to have what I consider to be one of the most advanced additive packages in any OTC oil: Overbase calcium, over 200ppm of moly, and a good does of boron. What is it about the Coastal 5w20 that made you decide to use it?

quote:

Also, Coastal/Warren oil does meet the Ford spec for oil and that was what I look for in the 5W-20 stuff. http://www.warrenunilube.com/products/motoroils.htm

You better look at that page again. It's a little out of date. It says their oils meet API SJ and GF-2. Current specs are SL and GF-3, and SM and GF-4 will be out later this year. Also, the Ford spec that a 5w20 has to meet is WSS-M2C153-H and this Warren page says nothing about that.

You very may well experience accelerated wear using a 20 in a application that doesn't call for it. Tooslick did a test on a toyota that showed that effect. Warren had a large recall of coastal oil earlier this year, because it didn't meet viscosity specs. I think that G-man was trying to point out the fact that el-cheapo blenders may not have the quality control that a major blender would have, and that is very very important when it comes to a very thin oil, as a wide viscosity fluctuation could spell trouble for your engine.

I agree with sbc350...with one caveat. IF you have a synthetic like Mobil 1, which tells you as Mobil sometimes does, "can be used anywhere a 5W30 or 10W30 is specified," then I don't think there is much chance you will "kill" your motor. I would wait until the vehicle is out of warranty, however, and I would NOT use anything but one of the "known" suppliers (e.g. Mobil, Castrol, etc).

quote:

quote:

Also, Coastal/Warren oil does meet the Ford spec for oil and that was what I look for in the 5W-20 stuff. http://www.warrenunilube.com/products/motoroils.htm

You better look at that page again. It's a little out of date. It says their oils meet API SJ and GF-2. Current specs are SL and GF-3, and SM and GF-4 will be out later this year. Also, the Ford spec that a 5w20 has to meet is WSS-M2C153-H and this Warren page says nothing about that.

What am I missing off the page? Is it the "WSS" before or the "-H" after? I speculate also that Coastal 5W-20 is new enough to not have the data not updated on the website and would meet the Ford spec since Ford and Honda spearheaded this oil. It there any other non-Ford spec 5W-20 oil out there?

quote:

Warren Premium Motor Oils meet or exceed the requirements of MIL-L-46152E, Ford M2C153E, GM-6048M, and 6049M.

As for facts, I was hoping to maybe find someone who may run a like engine with the 5W-20. Once again you fail to give me anything substantial other than come off as a brand snob with comments of "off-brand". I simply posted a simple question not expecting rude commentary.

God Bless,
Hootbro

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
You very may well experience accelerated wear using a 20 in a application that doesn't call for it. Tooslick did a test on a toyota that showed that effect. Warren had a large recall of coastal oil earlier this year, because it didn't meet viscosity specs. I think that G-man was trying to point out the fact that el-cheapo blenders may not have the quality control that a major blender would have, and that is very very important when it comes to a very thin oil, as a wide viscosity fluctuation could spell trouble for your engine.

Thanks for the input. I read about the recall and I seem to remember it was some 5w-30 and 10w-30 that was mislabeled rather than nonconforming oil.

God Bless,
Hootbro

quote:

Once again you fail to give me anything substantial other than come off as a brand snob with comments of "off-brand". I simply posted a simple question not expecting rude commentary.

And I asked a simple question: What is it about the Coastal oil that made you decide to use it?

As for the specs listed on the Warren page, it's actually cheezier than some of the Amsoil dealer pages. Listing API SJ and GF-2 when those specs were superceded over two years ago? That should tell you something.

PS: I'm far from a brand snob: I'm using SuperTech synthetic blend in my Olds minivan.

cheers.gif

quote:

And I asked a simple question: What is it about the Coastal oil that made you decide to use it? .........

Answering a question with a question is not answering my question. Other posters have given me contructive input I need to help me formulate a decision. Can we get back on topic? Thanks.
banghead.gif

Hootbro

quote:

quote:

And I asked a simple question: What is it about the Coastal oil that made you decide to use it? .........

Answering a question with a question is not answering my question. Other posters have given me contructive input I need to help me formulate a decision. Can we get back on topic? Thanks.
banghead.gif

Hootbro

If you'd care to look back over this thread you'll see that I didn't answer your question with a question.

But that's okay if you don't want to say what it was about the Coastal 5w20 that made you decide to use it. I'm pretty sure I already know.
wink.gif

There will probably be a drop in oil pressure compared to a 5W30 but there probably will be more oil volume being pushed through the engine since it's thinner.

A UOA will show if your engine likes it or not
rolleyes.gif

quote:

I agree. I would stick with the grade called for in the manual.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:

quote:

I agree. I would stick with the grade called for in the manual.

Thanks, that is probably what I will do. At least some people can stay on topic.
tongue.gif

Hootbro

You asked for help in the decision to use your Coastal 5w20 in your Kia. You stated you use this oil in your Ford already.

G-Man II suggested that your Coastal 5w20 maybe less than ideal for either of your vehicles. It may not meet Ford’s WSS-M2C153-H Spec. and you have offered no evidence to the contrary.

It maybe that you didn’t like the way in which this was presented to you but it is far from off topic. IT IS YOUR TOPIC.

You have been argumentative and condescending to others. You are deluding yourself if you think there is any difference between “Warren had a large recall of coastal oil earlier this year, because it didn't meet viscosity specs.” and “I seem to remember it was some 5w-30 and 10w-30 that was mislabeled rather than nonconforming oil.”.
News Flash – Mislabeled oil isn’t going to meet viscosity specs therefore it is nonconforming.

You strike me as the type of person who is trying to save a couple bucks which is fine. However you also strike me as the type who has to be right all the time, which now that I think about it is also fine. As you will pay the price in most cases for you rightness. Just some friendly observations of a thread that YOU have taken off topic.

Hootbro ,

If you bought that Kia new you have a 10/100k warranty to protect for yourself . A search in the UOA section will reveal this engine does well on 10w-30 .

Texas is a big state
smile.gif
North TX gets very cold and if you happen to live there I would use no lighter than a 5w-30 in winter whether it be dino or synlube . 10w-30 summer

Exxon Superflo would be but one low cost oil choice for you in both vehicles and would certainly be my choice for a 5w-20 low cost oil vs the Coastal for use in the Ranger if the Motorcraft 5w-20 costs too much or is not available .

I did some research for a post and compared the main bearing clearances on a Chevy 350 (which spec's 5w-30) and my Ford 4.2L V6 (which spec's 5w-20). The ford's bearing clearances were smaller. I don't remember the specifics, but it was by about 10-20%. I realize that these are two vastly different engines, and I also realize that Ford spec'ed 5w-30 for these engines for four years prior to the 5w-20 release. But if the FOrd engines that have been spec'ed with both 5w-30 and 5w-20 have main bearing clearances that are tighter that a motor that is spec'ed with 5w-30 thru 20w-50 (?), than I would be hesitant on running 5w-20 in that chevy.

My point is, if you can get your hands on a couple manuals with the bearing clearance for each motor (both your Ranger and Kia), compare the two and also compare the engines. If the engines are close in terms of clearances and tolerances, run in the same temperature range, same duty, close in head design and so forth then go ahead a try running 5w-20 with an UOA. If not, than stick to your manufactures recomendations.

quote:

Originally posted by leanintoit:
You asked for help in the decision to use your Coastal 5w20 in your Kia. You stated you use this oil in your Ford already.

G-Man II suggested that your Coastal 5w20 maybe less than ideal for either of your vehicles. It may not meet Ford’s WSS-M2C153-H Spec. and you have offered no evidence to the contrary.

It maybe that you didn’t like the way in which this was presented to you but it is far from off topic. IT IS YOUR TOPIC.

You have been argumentative and condescending to others. You are deluding yourself if you think there is any difference between “Warren had a large recall of coastal oil earlier this year, because it didn't meet viscosity specs.” and “I seem to remember it was some 5w-30 and 10w-30 that was mislabeled rather than nonconforming oil.”.
News Flash – Mislabeled oil isn’t going to meet viscosity specs therefore it is nonconforming.

You strike me as the type of person who is trying to save a couple bucks which is fine. However you also strike me as the type who has to be right all the time, which now that I think about it is also fine. As you will pay the price in most cases for you rightness. Just some friendly observations of a thread that YOU have taken off topic.

You have a dog in this fight because....? My difference of view is between G-man II and me. Lay off the Dr. Phil advice, just a friendly oberservation.

To the others, thanks for the constructive advice. I will stick to the spec oil. Hopefully the swordfighting will end.
rolleyes.gif

It may be inconvenient, but I would buy some 10W-30 for the KIA.

I think you would see accelerated wear over time, especially since it's Summer and you live in Texas.

No matter the quality or brand name, 20 wts. are just not appropriate for many engines.

In the future, if I could only stock one grade for both, I'd go with 30wt. for both. I know 5-30 or 10-30 will absolutely not hurt the Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back