Will 2-EHN evaporate out of a diesel mix?

Hi All.

I have recently bought a litre of 2-EHN diesel additive (Cetane booster). As I'm not the one driving the car, I can only really put the 2-EHN in after the car has been fueled. (I don't want my Mum to have to mess around with a strong smelling fuel additive).
Anyway. Pouring 20ml or 30ml or whatever amount I need to, into the fuel after the car has had fuel added doesn't in my opinion work that well. It is probably just about enough to coat the inside of the fuel filler pipe to the fuel tank and I bet not much actually reaches the fuel in the tank, let alone mixes with it properly.

My idea has been to added 500ml of 2-EHN, to 4.5L of diesel in a jerry can. I can then shake up each time and pour in 200ml - 500ml depending on how much fuel my Mum has just added.

What I am wondering though, is will the 2-EHN evaporate out from the diesel in the can? Or evaporate out as I am pouring it into the fuel tank etc?

Thanks!

Why not just pour the correct amount of 2-EHN diesel additive into a pint of diesel and pour it it? Or, just chase the 2-EHN diesel additive with a pint of diesel to clear the fill pipe and ensure it gets into the fuel tank?

Why not just pour the correct amount of 2-EHN diesel additive into a pint of diesel and pour it it? Or, just chase the 2-EHN diesel additive with a pint of diesel to clear the fill pipe and ensure it gets into the fuel tank?

You know, as I was typing that question out I was genuinely thinking that in the back of my mind. Feel like I've been a bit of a muppet here! :oops:
:oops:

Side question, what benefits are you expecting by using the cetane booster?

Well, the car in question is an older Peugeot with a HDi engine and a remap. There are a couple of things I am hoping for. First one is a slight reduction in soot levels. It's not too bad, but a little hazy when you really give it some. Cetane reducing the ignition delay allows for a longer burn time in the cylinder, so should reduce soot levels.

The other benefit is noise, it reduces the distinctive "Diesel clatter" and to be quite honest, has definitely made a noticeable difference.

Other than that, not a lot really.

Well, the car in question is an older Peugeot with a HDi engine and a remap. There are a couple of things I am hoping for. First one is a slight reduction in soot levels. It's not too bad, but a little hazy when you really give it some. Cetane reducing the ignition delay allows for a longer burn time in the cylinder, so should reduce soot levels.

The other benefit is noise, it reduces the distinctive "Diesel clatter" and to be quite honest, has definitely made a noticeable difference.

Other than that, not a lot really.
The "remap" answers the question. Clatter may be a by product of the remap as well.
Sound like you're rolling some coal lol.

The "remap" answers the question. Clatter may be a by product of the remap as well.
Sound like you're rolling some coal lol.

Oh it's not rough sounding by any means. It's quite a quiet diesel to be honest. (Compared to a lot out there) But I do like to know I am running it on whatever is the best I can get for it.

The map is from only 90hp and I've had it dyno'ed at 135hp so it's a 50% increase on stock. It has been running it for around 65k miles now.

you have one without dpf? the first gen 2.0 HDi then? If not, you already have a ferrocene like additive going into the tank automatically after every fill-up.

Those early HDi's always smoked a little under load.

Get some BG244 through it. Pretty sure it's the strongest cleaner we can buy off in the UK.

Are you using pure 2-EHN? I always believed it was too 'dry' to be using on it's own and should include a lubricant also. I've always used Millers Ecomax, Archoil 6900D-Max or Mannol Ester Diesel as these are a ready to go mix that includes 2-EHN, lubricants and other detergents, corrosion inhibitors etc etc.

No. It won't evaporate out a significantly faster rate than the 2EHN already present in diesel fuel in the tanks at the station.

On an side, in the UK the min cetane level is 51. Just remember that dosing with more 2EHN will give you a bump but you won't know how much. IIRC you can buy "premium diesel" which has a higher cetane (55?-57?). I would just give your mom the extra quid to fill the vehicle with that stuff.

OR

When I had a diesel I would pour bulk additive from a carboy into a think neck 12 oz glass bottle and then dump it in the tank just prior to filling it. That may be easier for you and your mom (assuming she pumps her own diesel).

I think it was a bottle which originally contained soy sauce.

19-1083203-2320-0020-STD-02.tif-650.jpg

Last edited:
Amalgated TDR-FL in my experience.will reduce soot generation by 60-75%. Another option is Ferrocene based additive https://fpc1.com/sci_ferrocene.php

As long as you have a return fuel line from the IP it will mix whatever you top it off with. The turbulence created by recirculation keeps the tank completely mixed.
My 335d ran great on TDR-FL. I miss the old gal.:(

you have one without dpf? the first gen 2.0 HDi then? If not, you already have a ferrocene like additive going into the tank automatically after every fill-up.
It's one of the very early ones. 1999 (First year the HDi 2.0 came out I believe!

Those early HDi's always smoked a little under load.

Get some BG244 through it. Pretty sure it's the strongest cleaner we can buy off in the UK.

Are you using pure 2-EHN? I always believed it was too 'dry' to be using on it's own and should include a lubricant also. I've always used Millers Ecomax, Archoil 6900D-Max or Mannol Ester Diesel as these are a ready to go mix that includes 2-EHN, lubricants and other detergents, corrosion inhibitors etc etc.
It is the pure stuff yeah. I find it hard to believe that the lubricity of 50l of fuel could be worsened too much by 50ml of a different fluid. Then again, I'm not a chemist haha.

Back